Clonk Planet 0.2 - Stable Release

Daid posted on Sep 6 2006 at 05:49 PM said:
EDIT: double based square roots, one for every object every draw cycle. Me smash!

Hehe, I think a gp2x-fix here may speed this up _a lot_.

I played this last night, it works absolutely great, it never crashed, and in a cpu-wise small level like goldmine it runs great all the time.

Thanks for bringing this fantastic game to the gp2x, Daid!

cheers, David

Last edited by a moderator:
This really is awesome! Thank you very much for a portable Clonk!
Daid posted on Sep 6 2006 at 05:49 PM said:
It is faster in some points (like drawing rotated sprites), but landslides (aka, earthquakes) and vulcanos seem like very intensive actions and are simply slow because the need to do so much stuff.
It even slows down on my laptop when there are massive earthquakes & stuff.

yeah slowdowns are normal in clonk. Gotta get used to that if you`re up for some serious clonking.

BURN the trees! Not fully grown trees are a pain, they get software scaled to smaller sprites in real time and that eats FPS.

Bugs I've found so far:
-Save/Load doesn't work (Fixed in next version)
-Multiple c4f files deep files won't load (Clueless on this one)
-Clonks don't seem to promote to higher ranks. (Mmmm *sound of buy failed*) (Fixed in next version)

in clonk certainly yes! Daid, when are you going to release another version? I am so psyched, I can`t wait haha. You Sir, are a coding machine!

Very true, I just wanted to express my excitement over the clonk port in a subtle way.

really not. Maybe you should try and overwrite it again. I dunno, never had that problem. Or run a scandisk on your sd... you know the drill.

Gruntfuggly posted on Sep 7 2006 at 02:27 PM said:
Anybody know why I get a blank screen once I choose clonkfront?

Haven't you overclocked your GP2X too much? That could cause the problem.

I can't say if the firmware version affects Clonks freezing, because when I bought my GP2X, it already had 2.0 firmware. With 2.0, Clonks work perfectly for me.

might be a problem though. I guess Daid uses FW 2.0. too. Could be that it doesn`t run because of that. Mainly because he overwrites a load of things in the upper memory and the offsets vary from firmware to firmware. I would imagine it to be possible that the program tramples something vital on 1.4 that is located somewhere else on FW 2.0...

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 7 2006 at 03:52 PM said:
might be a problem though. I guess Daid uses FW 2.0. too. Could be that it doesn`t run because of that. Mainly because he overwrites a load of things in the upper memory and the offsets vary from firmware to firmware. I would imagine it to be possible that the program tramples something vital on 1.4 that is located somewhere else on FW 2.0...
:blink: ClonkFront (The frontend) doesn't do anything 'special'. It fires up SDL, loads the background and shows that one. If it doesn't get that far only 2 things could have gone wrong:
1) SDL doesn't init
2) The splashscreen picture couldn't be found.

As that are the only 2 cases that I don't fall back to the menu. It does print out an error message then, but those can only be seen in a telnet session.

My suggestion:Upgrade to FW2, as I have no way to test anything on older firmwares and I'm not planning to support them.

(And a normal game uses only 7MB of upper memory, as all 'special' stuff is above the 48MB range, (32+7 is only 39. I'm not even close to hitting that special stuff.)

Gruntfuggly posted on Sep 7 2006 at 08:22 AM said:
No overclocking - I'm still on FW 1.4 - wonder if that makes a difference? Maybe it's time to upgrade...
I upgraded a week ago from 1.2.1 because I couldn't get games created using Game-Editor to work, and it did the trick. It worked for me, you might want to try the same. Also, is your SD card formatted to Fat32?

Back