Closed Source Ports

Svartalf. where did you get the opportunity to do that? Are you a developer, or are you part of the team, or did you just meet them at a convention or something?

PoisonedV said:
Svartalf. where did you get the opportunity to do that? Are you a developer, or are you part of the team, or did you just meet them at a convention or something?
Had a MK0 for a time, but because of personal time being short a while back, didn't get far and had to hand it off to CraigX to hand to DJWillis so he could forge forward on things because the board he had got fubared over time. Right now, I'm waiting for another board and trying to fix a few firmware problems "blind" (Heh...it's not like this is my first Rodeo on this sort of thing... ;)) while I wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Svartalf said:
Heh... They have to hack theirs up- and there's no support for them. Moreover, their devices don't have the chops that the Pandora HAS. Yes, I said that right. HAS. It really DOES exist- I've had one of the MK0 boards in my hand and did a bit of tinkering with it. You just can't lay your hands on one just yet. ;) Soon, though... :D
expensive prototype board tied to a desk != an actual, portable device

dont have the chops, true. but they've had sweet PSX emulation for 2+ years now, the Pandora will do this well, but no N64 emulatior yet? i understand why completely, but as an emulation device there isn't much advantage aside from the dual analogs and keyboard for classic computers on launch... i'll love the massive amounts of homebrew(hopefully) though =]

Unfortunately, there's NOTHING in the multi-functional class of devices that fits into the performance profile of the Pandora. Not Nokia. Not Sony. Not Asus. Each and every thing has design tradeoffs in performance, power consumption, size, or combinations thereof. I'd love to see what you'd have come up with. :D

considering only a few months ago a PSP cost the exact same as a F200 whilst being technically superior (i know, mass production... the world sucks)
yeah, i really would have to stoop low to BUY a sony device, but still. possibly a used one w/hacked firmware already.

the GP2X isn't that bad i realise, but particularly the low battery life, relatively lowres screen, joystick, lack of wifi, and since i'm disorganised with charging multiple sets of batts, AA batteries really grate me aswell.

anyway to keep ontopic: may a Payback port for the Pandora happen? i'd love to play it with proper OpenG ... err, damn, GL ES, but still, powerful 3d chip. would be awesome. if it was improved i'd buy it (again) :D

i dont get what some people are complaining about.the time from when the pandora was rumored, to 'officially' announced, to pre orders taken, and the impending release, was about on par with any commercial console. guess you guys have never waited for a console before?

Izomiac said:
Has anyone contacted RedShift yet? They make some nice dungeon crawlers and seem to be focused on the PDA market.

Yes. Answer summed up: They have huge financial difficulties because the PDA market doesn't exist anymore. At the moment they are porting The Quest to the iPhone because that seems to be where the easy money is. The possibility of a Pandora port depends a lot on if that works out. If you like Redshift and want to keep them alive, you can send them money and buy Windows versions of their games: http://redshift.hu/ If you've got a few thousand dollars to spare, please contract them for a Pandora port of The Quest! :D

OrR said:
Izomiac said:
Has anyone contacted RedShift yet? They make some nice dungeon crawlers and seem to be focused on the PDA market.

Yes. Answer summed up: They have huge financial difficulties because the PDA market doesn't exist anymore. At the moment they are porting The Quest to the iPhone because that seems to be where the easy money is. The possibility of a Pandora port depends a lot on if that works out. If you like Redshift and want to keep them alive, you can send them money and buy Windows versions of their games: http://redshift.hu/ If you've got a few thousand dollars to spare, please contract them for a Pandora port of The Quest! :D

I just want to add, that Legacy and The Quest are the best games I've ever played on a handheld!

PoisonedV said:
i dont get what some people are complaining about.the time from when the pandora was rumored, to 'officially' announced, to pre orders taken, and the impending release, was about on par with any commercial console. guess you guys have never waited for a console before?
The biggest difference, PoisonedV, is that with the commercial consoles, they're typically treating their customers like mushrooms (keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em bits of bullshit...) until the thing ships. With Pandora, they've been sharing more info, obviously, and the people don't get that this is:

1) Normal for a delay like we've seen.
2) Most people don't understand what's required to compare things like x86 and ARM based designs.

Because of those two items we keep seeing this stuff coming up, time and time again... I just roll my eyes and correct the really off things as needed... :D

Svartalf said:
PoisonedV said:
The biggest difference, PoisonedV, is that with the commercial consoles, they're typically treating their customers like mushrooms (keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em bits of bullshit...) until the thing ships. With Pandora, they've been sharing more info, obviously, and the people don't get that this is:

now i have to say that bull and cow manure is certainly not the most efficient, nutritious, or plentiful substrate for mycological ventures. furthermore, light can be a helpful element especially in artificially induced cueing.

PoisonedV said:
now i have to say that bull and cow manure is certainly not the most efficient, nutritious, or plentiful substrate for mycological ventures. furthermore, light can be a helpful element especially in artificially induced cueing.
Ahh... A 'shroom fan he is... Well, it's along the lines of the joke: "A mushroom, a mushroom I must be: for they keep me in the dark and feed me bits of bullshit..." that I refer to when I say what I say- for that's what the console manufacturers tend to do to the consumers out there... ;)

I think it would be cool to have a port the game Atmosphir. Here's a link to Atmosphir's site: http://atmosphir.com/.
And here is the trailer for Atmosphir. The trailer also contains some gameplay footage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQsmPC27VU&fmt=18

Screenshot:

screenshots1.jpg

Atmosphir is being made by the developer Minor Studios. The game will be released for PC, Mac OS X, and Linux some time before the end of the year as a freeware. But for right now, it still in beta. There is no word yet from Minor Studios if this game is going to be open sourced. So for now, I'm guessing it's going to be closed sourced.

Who would like to see a port of this game?

Nightwheel said:
I think it would be coll to have a port the game Atmosphir. Here's a link to Atmosphir's site: http://atmosphir.com/.
And here is the trailer for Atmosphir. The trailer also contains some gameplay footage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQsmPC27VU&fmt=18

Screenshot:

screenshots1.jpg

Atmosphir is being made by the developer Minor Studios. The game will be released for PC, Mac OS X, and Linux some time before the end of the year as a freeware. But for right now, it still in beta. There is no word yet from Minor Studios if this game is going to be open sourced. So for now, I'm guessing it's going to be closed sourced.

Who would like to see a port of this game?

damn, it's wonderfull.
Have you contacted the devs?

Nightwheel said:
I have not yet. But I will get around to doing it either today or tomorrow.
Please do. I don't see much that would preclude them from making it available on Pandora- and it would rock on our "little" handheld... :D

It would certainly rock. Maybe they could provide some kind of light-version, excluding the editor. I'd think that is something one would like to do on a big screen.

Btw: I contacted ninjabee about porting their stuff to the pandora. Will inform you if I get a reply. They make really awesome indy-games for the xbox and windows (dare you directx). At least, they are already optimised for 800x480.

Pete from red27-games told me he is currently porting awesome soccer to linux and will take a look at the pandora.

conso said:
It would certainly rock. Maybe they could provide some kind of light-version, excluding the editor. I'd think that is something one would like to do on a big screen.
Well if they ditched the editor. You pretty much got rid of half the game then. And me personally, I want the level editor/stage creator to stay. Since the editor is one of the most important parts of the game. Besides, the people who are making TrackMania DS kept the level editor. I see no reason why Minor Studios would ditch Atmosphir's editor in a Pandora port if they chose to make a port.

Speaking of Minor Studios. I'm going to email them tomorrow.

PoisonedV said:
There really aren't any good open source MMO's. there is that one that a view people have talked about, but its crap.

someone should contact the elona crew!
how about planeshift?

Back