Closed Source Ports

Nightwheel said:
I think it would be cool to have a port the game Atmosphir. Here's a link to Atmosphir's site: http://atmosphir.com/.
And here is the trailer for Atmosphir. The trailer also contains some gameplay footage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQsmPC27VU&fmt=18

Screenshot:

screenshots1.jpg

Atmosphir is being made by the developer Minor Studios. The game will be released for PC, Mac OS X, and Linux some time before the end of the year as a freeware. But for right now, it still in beta. There is no word yet from Minor Studios if this game is going to be open sourced. So for now, I'm guessing it's going to be closed sourced.

Who would like to see a port of this game?

Youtube vid rocks :D I hope it will come on the pandora, looks really fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
VRAndy said:
As long as we're dreaming .... "Strange Adventures in Infinite Space" would make a great portable game.
http://www.digital-eel.com/sais/

With a 5-20 minute game time, that looks like a perfect game for being on the go. It's too bad it's Windows-only and requires Direct X. Perhaps if you ask very nicely they'll port it to SDL (or something) and the Pandora. Never hurts to ask (as long as they're not carrying a very large mallet).

Wow, Atmosphir looks neat. Good stuff, Nightwheel - I hope you get a positive response.

Yamara said:
VRAndy said:
As long as we're dreaming .... "Strange Adventures in Infinite Space" would make a great portable game.
http://www.digital-eel.com/sais/

With a 5-20 minute game time, that looks like a perfect game for being on the go. It's too bad it's Windows-only and requires Direct X. Perhaps if you ask very nicely they'll port it to SDL (or something) and the Pandora. Never hurts to ask (as long as they're not carrying a very large mallet).

Well, there has been a Palm OS version for years. Even if they don't port it, we might be able to emulate that.

There's a little problem I may have with me getting a email back from Minor Studios. The may end up emailing craigx by using the email in the press area instead of replying back to me. We'll have to wait and see if they email me back.

btw. here is a copy of the email i sent to Minor Studios:

Hello, I'm Nightwheel.

I got a question.

As you may or may not know. There is currently a open source 3D handheld gaming system thats being developed. And is going to be shipped out within the next month or so. The people developing the console are from the site Open Pandora.org, Link: http://www.openpandora.org . And the system they are developing is called, Pandora. The systems specs can be found at their site's wiki here: http://pandorawiki.org/Pandora

So anyways, I was wondering if you guys would interested in doing a port of Atmosphir to the Pandora platform? Now I'm just wondering because I'm member at the forum there. And a beta tester for Atmosphir. And I think it will be cool to have a Pandora port of Atmophir. But the decision is totally up to you guys if you want to make a port or not. And if you need to ask questions or talk to the devolopers. You can find the email in the press area on the site.

Anyways, Thank you for you time and have a nice day.

I just sent emails to Astraware and Crazysoft asking if they were interested in porting their multiplatform portable games to Linux/ARM.

Has anyone heard any recent info on Fez because I can't find anything on it newer than February 2008 other than what's on that link by it but it don't say if it's still in progress or not because I was wanting to try it out.

And Atmosphir does look like it'd be a neat game too.

#1 GameMaster said:
Has anyone heard any recent info on Fez because I can't find anything on it newer than February 2008 other than what's on that link by it but it don't say if it's still in progress or not because I was wanting to try it out.

And Atmosphir does look like it'd be a neat game too.
I read on a forum somewhere that there won't be too much Fez news until early 2009. Not surprised that there's no recent info on it. I'm sure it's still in development though.

I got a email Back from Minor Studio. Here is the email:

Hey Nightwheel - Glad you're enjoying Atmosphir. Pandora does look very cool, and if there was enough demand within our community, I think we would certainly look into it! We are a small team with extremely limited time and resources, so we can't always do everything we want to, but we're always open to great ideas.

We'll look into it a little more. Thanks for thinking of us!
--
Dave Werner
Creative Director, Minor Studios
http://atmosphir.com

I think this response fits some where between orange and blue.

The future of a Atmosphir port for the Pandora looks likely happen, but not right away. Unless someone here would be willing to help them with a Pandora port. Because at the moment, they don't have the resources to devote people to porting it.

I got a red answer from Astraware. They don't have any Linux/ARM or even Android plans at the moment. As far as I can tell I only talked to low level customer support, though, so an answer from somebody higher up in the company might be different. (I think it is quite likely that they are at least looking into Android.)

The anwer from Crazysoft is somewhere between orange and blue. They are actively looking into porting their games to Android with the Android SDK. As I understand it that means Java on Dalvik which should be ported to the Pandora, soon. So those games might then simply run on Pandora. Actual support for other platforms depends on market penetration, meaning they might get interested in native Pandora development once it actually sells in relevant numbers to customers.

Hi,
P0LARiS said:
Has anyone attempted contacting 2D Boy regarding a port of World of Goo yet?

I don't know if it's important but they mention the Pandora on their contact page here :)
Iphone? Pandora? Thanks to those of you who have suggested ports to mobile platforms. We hear you, and we'll see!

The game will be released on Mac/Linux in the near future and is getting very good reviews.

I'm playing the game on Wii at the moment and will order the Linux version as soon as it's available :) It's really a wonderful game !

btw I also e-mailed Frontier about a port of LostWinds to the Pandora, but they didn't reply...

Bye, Magic Sam

Ooops, sorry for not replying to emails/etc., I've been busy here and there and sometimes I forget to reply!

About Yuan Works, Wind and Water, and Pandora: Porting of W&W and development of new projects for the Pandora (read: Little Ninja) is likely to happen, as soon as Pandora is released and we can purchase and have one in our hands :)

EDIT: A bit more on Little Ninja for those interested:

little_ninja.jpg

20090106_run.gif

Vorporeal said:
I read on a forum somewhere that there won't be too much Fez news until early 2009. Not surprised that there's no recent info on it. I'm sure it's still in development though.
Do someone vave a Idea, how much % this game gould be finished in development? I've seen impressive Videos of it, almost a Year ago and it looked like it could be ready every moment. :)

A r k said:
Ooops, sorry for not replying to emails/etc., I've been busy here and there and sometimes I forget to reply!

About Yuan Works, Wind and Water, and Pandora: Porting of W&W and development of new projects for the Pandora (read: Little Ninja) is likely to happen, as soon as Pandora is released and we can purchase and have one in our hands :)

EDIT: A bit more on Little Ninja for those interested:

little_ninja.jpg

20090106_run.gif

Iiiiiiimpressive! :) I didn't even know, that this project existed until now. Impressive graphics and Animation, movement remembers me a little Bit onto the Metroid series (Shinobi too of course :D ), well I hope in your game, the Wall Jumps and skilled-moves are a little bit more easy than in Metroid ( Super-Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero)
The complex Background (Parallax Layers?) indeed look like these superb polished Neo Geo Games like Metal Slug with the complex hand drawn and neraly never repeating Background , where you can't see the classical Block-Design (I like the oldschool Tile-Style too, like in the 2D Sonic Games)
I really can imagine such a game for the Pandora, I think the D-Pad of the new Handheld will be far better than the GP2X thing, so exact movement is more easy (Metroid playing with original GP2X Digital Stick - a nightmare! )
The Pandora has a 800x480pix screen, too much for a oldschool 2D Pixel Game maybe but 400x240 with Pixel Doubling could look really great and Retro, I also like Scanlines by the way :D

Back