Closest Pandora Competitor

Chairman_Now

http://carrypad.com/2010/02/22/moblic-e7-wimax-gaming-mid-spotted/

Those specs sure sound familiar. Hope that the Pandora comes out first.

I'm indifferent on the rest of the technology, but I don't like the look of the d-pad. :(

Not gonna lie, looks pretty nice, but I'm not so sure about that d-pad. Obviously not gonna compete with the pandora, but I like gadgets, so I might end up with one eventually just because it's hard for me to not buy this kinda stuff. Depends on the software in the end though, of course.

EDIT: Oh, sniped about the d-pad by a min... :p

meh, no analog nubs, and I totally prefer the clamshell design much better, not a big fan of sliders except for hamburgers and other private things

USB host?  Full-size SD cards?  Pandora EXT features (TV-out, line in/out)?  Bluetooth?  

I wouldn't cancel my Pandora preorder to get one of those.

While on the subject of Off-Topic Arm-devices, I'd probably be saving up for the notion ink ADAM; if I weren't getting a Pandora, and if I could find a job.

hotlinked images:
notion_ink_adam_side.jpg

notion_ink_adam_specs.gif

Attachments

• notion_ink_adam_side.jpg
    notion_ink_adam_side.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 84
  • notion_ink_adam_specs.gif
    notion_ink_adam_specs.gif
    47.7 KB · Views: 99
shit son, I need one of dem things, I've been holding off for a color e-ink, but this looks like a perfect compromise....

e-ink is great for book type stuff, but this isn't e-ink, its a screen thats able to utilize reflected light much better than normal lcds, much like e-ink, but without having a shitty refresh rate. So you can use it effectively(reading books or general computing) without the backlight = hella power savings.

To me, this kind of thing just shows me how right they got the Pandora... It features the same design annoyances that bug me on similar devices.

Consequence_9 said:
separated dpad
In fairness, I don't think it is a separated d-pad - it seems to be more akin to the one seen on old LCD games such as this.

Last edited by a moderator:
When he says separated dpad he's probably referring more to the fact that the directions arent connected. The PSP dpad is still one peice as well but people still complained. There's nothing to suggest that the disc in the center actually connects the directions.

Over all it's just another smartphone with a keyboard. Nothing about it really says it's going to be a mini computer in the same sense that the Pandora is. Especially if it comes packed with Winmo as the article seems to suggest it might.

Alpha2 said:
There's nothing to suggest that the disc in the center actually connects the directions.
I'd have to humbly disagree - at its full size, that side of the image looks to me rather unlike the side with the (obviously unconnected) buttons.

I could be wrong, of course, but the disc with the directions looks to be one piece of plastic, to me. :p

I suppose it remains to be seen but, before I posted I made sure to look at the action button side and it looks about the same to me as the Dpad side.

But either way I'd say that's the least of it's problems in regards to being a decent competitor. Seeing as there's no concrete info on what's in side it, only speculation at this point.

I see this one being more of a competitor
500x_AndroidHandheld.jpg

ODROID as a phone-less Android device built for gaming. There’s an 833MHz CPU, 512MB of RAM, 3.5-inch capacitive touchscreen, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and HDMI output capable of pushing 720p video to a TV screen.
This ODROID thing is absolutely built for having old-school console emulators installed on it. The company is currently selling developer units at $350

Here is a video, just google it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5fKrScVtP8&feature=player_embedded

Attachments

• 500x_AndroidHandheld.jpg
    500x_AndroidHandheld.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 85
megabyte said:
The company is currently selling developer units at $350

The price is $200. See below link.

http://www.hardkernel.com/store.php

Back