Closest Pandora Competitor

Shouldn't this be in ...let me guess... competitors?

edit:
Oops, wrong board, I meant "other consoles".

Thats right, the 350 option comes with SD card, micro SD debug board, etc.

Well I saw this coming, it is normal if a device its been sitting for a couple of years, more faster/cheaper configurations will be released, remember not everything is about the specs, it can have twice the memory or more CPU power, but if it doesn't have the right support from the devs it will fail.

typs lik dis said:
I wouldn't cancel my Pandora preorder to get one of those.

If it was available now and for a reasonable price, I probably would.

I hope a certain somebody isn't reading this thread now I've said that!

Last edited by a moderator:
That thing looks like what I wish my n810 was, except it looks like the glossy plastic will get scratched to hell in about 3 seconds.
Doesn't really compete with Pandora for me but I suppose people who are more into the gaming and less into the everything else might bite.

It's as if that was a last generation Pandora from about 2004. We tried to get GPH to do that with the GP2X, but they didn't want to.

I'd say that phone would suppliment the Pandora nicely. It's never gonna beat it, but it looks like something interesting (for me at least).

megabyte said:
I see this one being more of a competitor
500x_AndroidHandheld.jpg

ODROID as a phone-less Android device built for gaming. There’s an 833MHz CPU, 512MB of RAM, 3.5-inch capacitive touchscreen, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and HDMI output capable of pushing 720p video to a TV screen.
This ODROID thing is absolutely built for having old-school console emulators installed on it. The company is currently selling developer units at $350

Here is a video, just google it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5fKrScVtP8&feature=player_embedded

Wonderswan Crystal!

Attachments

• 500x_AndroidHandheld.jpg
    500x_AndroidHandheld.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 94
I don't like the slide screen setup they have going there, clamshell is where its at. If it comes out I'll follow it but I don't think it will ever replace my Pandora.

Although it looks like a phone, it's actually a WiMax MID. Ergonomically, the thing looks like a nightmare to use. I agree that the Pandora's design is superior.

Well, this is just the begining! Almost everyone I know who has a bought a cell phone within the last year, has some kind of classic emulator installed. I have a G1, and it has some decent early console emulation, but I will NEVER try one due to keyboard/touch screen controls. PERIOD! It is just to much of a hassle to someone like me who has been playing games for 30+ years.

As more and more people get intruduced to portable gaming thru, cells, ipod touches, and other devices without regular gaming controls, I believe more and more devices like this will be popping up! I really think within 2 years, we will all see something very comparable to the Pandora in regards to proccesing and gaming controls, now how well they actually get it is anyones guess! With the DS2 and PSP2 on the horizen, I'm sure they will offer somekind of unique control ideas, so I'm sure many more manufactures will be coming up with many crazy designs over the next several years.

Just Wait!

Chris

Looks like OP's "Niche market trailblazing" grace period is coming to a close. I wouldn't be worried about the MID, but the fact that people are considering putting keyboards and game controls together in that form factor is significant.

omega5 said:
The price is $200. See below link.

http://www.hardkernel.com/store.php
For me... that price is right ;)

I just bought one... 300 was kinda... ehh.. but 200... word up!

Nice to see someone else finally tackle the same basic concept Pandora has. These controls don't look fantastic, but they're definitely deliberate gaming controls paired with a keyboard, and I think this is the first time we've seen a real pairing of this kind outside of Pandora. Unfortunately, lack of nubs makes it less attractive, and probable lack of shoulder buttons pretty much kills it.

Not really surprising that this is coming out of South Korea, like Wiz and Odroid. Major western/Japanese companies don't want to bother with gaming handhelds outside of the main commercial gaming platforms and Chinese companies don't want to bother with something so far enough away from low end to warrant a keyboard. However, it's not entirely guaranteed that this is even a Cortex-A8 level CPU, it could be an ARM11 (like the Gambro).

Seeing as I've spent the last week deciding if I should buy the Pandora or not. (It's ordered an paid :D)

I think that a big part of the attraction to the Pandora is the community. Browsing the forums, reading all the threads, seeing how many are very active and how much talent is amongst you guys (and girls?) it's quite hard not to want to be part of it.

The emorage going on in a certain thread had me doubting for a bit but then I just took a trip to the development forum and I'm absolutely stoked about getting the Pandora and how this community will come up with new surprising ways of making it do great things.

Just want to say, it's no just the plastic and chipset you should judge, it's also the people supporting it!

Timstertoo said:
snip..
Just want to say, it's no just the plastic and chipset you should judge, it's also the people supporting it!
See... this is where I differ... I actually hate about 99% of the people on this forum... I just want my pandora...

Only thing that keeps me coming back is pure boredom after waiting for what seems like forever...

Timstertoo said:
Seeing as I've spent the last week deciding if I should buy the Pandora or not. (It's ordered an paid :D )

I think that a big part of the attraction to the Pandora is the community. Browsing the forums, reading all the threads, seeing how many are very active and how much talent is amongst you guys (and girls?) it's quite hard not to want to be part of it.

The emorage going on in a certain thread had me doubting for a bit but then I just took a trip to the development forum and I'm absolutely stoked about getting the Pandora and how this community will come up with new surprising ways of making it do great things.

Well said. I had knowledge of the GP32 and the GP2x but never picked one up, but would check from time to time to see what was happening, which of course led me to the Pandora. Seeing some of the dev names that were around for awhile and the fact I saw Exophase here after leaning about him from having my PSP, I had no doubts. I wanted the Pandora, but it was the devs and their dedication and amazing work that kept me from debating at all. Truly some talented people who spend countless hours for nothing, just trying to make the best they can create for our enjoyment. I cannot think of another type of product that a company can sell mainly because the users themselves make it work so well. It's a great thing to even be in this community. Some really nice and really great people. Without them all, it's just a another hand held. But because of this community, it's gonna be awesome.

jb0yx said:
Timstertoo said:
snip..
See... this is where I differ... I actually hate about 99% of the people on this forum... I just want my pandora...
You can hate the people, but they're still the people supporting the device you're buying. A good programmer is a good programmer, even if he's a total asshole in real life; so long as you never have to interact with him, he's still a better potential source of development than a friendly but average guy.

Actually that device is almost my dream device. Sliding screen / Cell Phone / Dpad needs to be better. Also I would rather they sacrifice the hardware keyboard for Dual Analog nubs. I can get by fine now with a virtual keyboard.

sooon. If Microsoft can finally leverage their synergy to have XBLA games be cross platform between 360 and Phone 7 Series, effing WIN. This is the beginning of my dream device.

Back