Color Me Impressed

'WhiteFalcon' said:
I hate to nitpick, but this project hasn't even been known to the community for 2 years, I hardly see how you could have been following it for more.

-God Ginrai

This is not so, Pandora should have been released about a year ago and before that the project was discussed a lot, although there was no name like Pandora or even Craiginator yet. Lets not fall into calling some a troll just because they overestimate the time. I agree with what David Bowman says, Pandora would not be even half as interesting for me if it was not for this community.

I think that the saying "If you cannot say something nice, do not say anything at all" fits here perfectly.

It is so. Talk about the Pandora started during the summer the year before last. I believe it was in July, but I know it was no earlier than June. Anything before that was not known by the community. I've been following the project since the beginnings of the Our New Machine thread, I remember when these discussions took place. When it reaches June or July we can say 2 years.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
And ironically, these very forums just a few years ago were regarded as some of the best.. friendly, smart, tinkerers. Let us hoipe we can return to such a peek someday :)

jeff

ed: spelling "ironically" poorly is ironic

It's descending into pointless squabbling! Quick David, give us another :D

Im sorry, Dave, Im afraid I cant do that.

I agree with Vorporeal, a lot of the problem is impatience. In addition, the project got some online "press" from the major blogs at a time when there were two forums, which resulted in some confusion. At that time (around September or October?), a lot of people who had not heard about the project before (including myself) suddenly got involved. That was also the time when the ETA for the Pandora was late November 2008. Then the economy started tanking hard and the delays started happening, resulting in a certain amount of paranoia.

The anticipation is difficult to tolerate. Once people have the actual device, we should have more substantial issues to discuss on the forums.

'skeezix' said:
And ironically, these very forums just a few years ago were regarded as some of the best.. friendly, smart, tinkerers. Let us hoipe we can return to such a peek someday :)

jeff

How about spelling "peak" incorrectly ? ;)

Crikey, there's nothing worse than a spelling sniper (given my typing ability). IMHO there's still a fair bit of positivity about, if you know where to look - take a peek at Pickle's Quake efforts, for example, to see someone evidently having a blast (admittedly because they HAVE a Pandora) in a way that should benefit many of us :)

'skeezix' said:
no it isn't. not knowing the meaning of the word ironic when you're using it is slightly ironic though :p

'skeezix' said:

jeff

we still are great :p

As another quintessential forum lurker, I just thought I`d say it`s interesting that we both share the love of Hal.

Anyway, I do agree that I am mostly interested in this project because of the amazing community working hard and supporting the Pandora. It really feels like this is a product made by the fans. I personally don`t feel that I`ve done much to help the product advance (unless those keyboard layout mock-ups I posted had even the slightest influence on the final layout), but I`m an artist and I`m learning computer animation in college so I hope I can be of some help later on. I give my best wishes and hope this community continues to flourish after the Pandora is out (and I`m sure it will).

And I will do my best to keep myself and everyone else from whining.

i dont see the point
is anyone who doesnt agree with you already actually going to listen to your post?
-edited-. i expected some colorful answers, but im sure people will take it the wrong way

I figure that as soon as we all have our Pandoras and the modding and program topics start popping back up, that things should start to return to normal. Once you start seeing DaveC arguing with people about how screen stretching ruins the emulation experience, you will know the balance is restored. \^_\^

-God Ginrai

Couldn't you just have the option to stretch or not. Does something like screen orientation really need to be exclusive?

'Phawx' said:
Couldn't you just have the option to stretch or not. Does something like screen orientation really need to be exclusive?
Leave those questions for topics that are actually about emulation. ;)

-God Ginrai

Ya got me. So perhaps not OVER two years, but it's been a while. All the unforeseen delays must make it feel longer. I can always count on the The Internet to find flaws in my posts. :p

@Auritribe: Nope. As bloody as I can get it. Yum.

@RoboShmup: You know it! It's almost a mild obsession. I've read all four of the Odyssey books, and I'm actually reading a (mostly) complete collection of Clarke's short stories now. The man was a genius waaaaay ahead of his time. Anyone ever heard of a Clarke Orbit? Patents on artificial satellite orbits were denied because Clarke laid out the idea in such detail in (don't quote me) 1945, before even Sputnik was launched. (And as a side note, the Pink Floyd song, Echoes, is AMAZING when synched over the last sequence of 2001: ASO. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfgoVZswC4k).

@Alpha2: Brilliant. Exactly.

@PoisonedV: No, I do not expect everyone to listen, but those who aren't guilty of being assholes in general will hopefully see my point and perhaps gently discourage such assholery. It's just something to keep an eye on.

@javaJake: Yep. That's my philosophy anyway.

@Monk: I've been following Pickle's efforts already, actually. I'm really excited too!

And no, I'm not Richard Stallman, though I do have respect for the man. Interesting his name should come up. Has anyone seen the bickering that goes on between him and Linus Torvaldis? That's kind of my point. They're both after the same goal, but they get on each other's cases over negligible semantics issues ("free as in freedom" GNU/Linux, etc.).

Well, I'm glad to see that a few people here read what I had to say anyway. I don't see it as a major problem... yet. But I have seen this sort of thing cause an otherwise-useful forum descend into crapulence. This should, in my opinion, be a forum FULL of useful information -- not pointless squabbling.

All that said, I can be a dick with the best of them. My time is too short on supply to bother with that on the interwebs though. I save that for people I meet face-to face. :D

'David Bowman' said:
And no, I'm not Richard Stallman, though I do have respect for the man. Interesting his name should come up. Has anyone seen the bickering that goes on between him and Linus Torvaldis? That's kind of my point. They're both after the same goal, but they get on each other's cases over negligible semantics issues ("free as in freedom" GNU/Linux, etc.).

There not really after the same goal. One started out as a hacker and the other started out as a lawyer. There very focused on very different issues and have very different motivations, which just appear similar.

'hedwards' said:
'David Bowman' said:

There not really after the same goal. One started out as a hacker and the other started out as a lawyer. There very focused on very different issues and have very different motivations, which just appear similar.
Call it what you will. They both develop and further free software. And thank you for proving my point. :D

Kind of like apples and oranges, accept the apples are personable and the oranges are annoying and obsessive

'PoisonedV' said:
Kind of like apples and oranges, accept the apples are personable and the oranges are annoying and obsessive
A fair-enough assessment.

I've seen Torvaldis attack the Gnome team over his personal opinions. I personally use Gnome, though I don't dislike KDE. So he was being a dick for no reason as it didn't do anything to further Gnome or KDE.

And I've seen Stallman get all pissy and hard-nosed over things like the GNU Public License v3 and insinuating Torvaldis is an egomaniac because he named his OS after himself.

Either way, they've both brought some great things into this world, and I still applaud them both.

'hedwards' said:
'David Bowman' said:

Actually, RMS is not a lawyer - he has a degree in physics, and never pursued a legal career as far as I can tell. Stallman is a political activist, though, whereas Torvalds does not care as much about political issues, which led to friction between the two of them on the subject of the importance of free software. In any event, they have both written a lot of software.

Also, I think Torvalds had some quite reasonable criticisms both of GNOME and KDE 4. I use KDE 3.5 myself, avoiding the issue. :p
And Torvalds did not name the OS after himself, someone else named it Linux. His original name was "freax."

Back