What is your favourite part of the Pandora legend?

it was this old Photo which i first encountered the Pandora ;)
pandora.jpg

There were threads where it was decided it will emulate Amiga and therefore it must have a keyboard,
I want to see The Original Keyboard Thread! This was definitely an important point. I first found out about it after that. Since I was already interested in other open source handhelds I probably would have ended up here anyway, but the keyboard and desktop functionality is what really makes it so awesome to me. If my CC unit could handle my (modern) web browsing I would probably never put the thing down.

All of this stuff together is why I will keep waiting for the Pyra. An improved version of the the Pandora? Fuck yeah!

I found out about the Pandora quite early.
There was a statement, that the Pandora will be delivered in two month.

So I looked after 3 or 4 month what happened, only to see that nothing really happened.
This repeated one or two times and I lost sight of the Pandora.

Some years later I got curious what happened about the Pandora and saw, that all of the different versions are sold out, but the next version Pyra is in development.
And after reading what happened, I decided to experience the waiting game first hand.

I hoped to see the delivering in ending 2017 beginning 2018 but now, it looks a lot like summer 2018 / winter 2018

Right about the keyboard :) back then (2011, 2012) I wanted a Pandora for DosBox portable, for which it works miraculously :) and that time, FWIK, there were no other Linux or hacked Chinese gaming gadgets available that HAD a keyboard :)

Oh WOW, this takes me back. LOL

I guess the best part of the Pandora was really the community, and all those involved from the creation side, to the end users, and the guys in-between who offered up software to use. No matter what was going on, there was someone else who had your problems with the device, excitement, love, disappointment, etc. There was always someone who could help you with an issue, or lead you to what you may have needed at the time in regards to returns, fixes, etc.

I'm pretty sure, this was the first online community I actively participated in. As a friend turned me on to the GP32 back in the day, and when I went to see what it was about, I discovered the GP2X and this community. Being able to play so many great emulators and past games in the palm of your hand was a dream come true(that I still have to this day). And then when you got an updated emulator, the made performance near perfect, it was really a natural high, each and every time. LOL

There was always someone trying to make the impossible, possible at the time. Outside of PC emulation, this is probably the only other place I always saw active updates(not all EMU's, but most popular ones). I just added CFW to my 3DS, and while some emulators run pretty good, more often than not, most things are barely updated. And once produced, no one really cares to perfect them for the device or add any polish to the finished product.

So when the Pandora project rolled in to reality, of course I was on board, as I was living here most of my free time anyways, so why not participate. For all of Craig's missteps, and questionable ethics, he was the mad scientist that brought it all together. Even when things went belly up, ED and the community stepped up to keep it going, and to get Pandora's to those who got screwed over. So while the Pyra has not been officially released, and has had it's own sets of problems, the community is still here marching forward to that next "high", that I'm sure will be amazing.

Chris

Back