Coming closer (2010-10-25)

Hi

I read the boards most days about The Pandora I ordered in July 2009 .

I was told this July it would ship in about 4 to 5 weeks,now looking at the boards this is remote :nubs soldering cases shipping

texas etc etc you get my drift there is nothing happening I was told by you it would not be another year really is annoying

I want a straight answer to a straight question is my Pandora going to arrive for Christmas (it was a present for last year)

yes or no

Thanks

Seamus Doyle

This is an Email I sent to Openpandora sales

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they can give you any straighter of an answer than they did back then. Everything has looked like they were only a month or two away from shipping for about 2 years. If you ask now if you will get it by Christmas, all signs point to yes: the events should work out that you will get it by Christmas. But it also looked like people would get them by Christmas 2009 back in October 2009 too.

no you will not get the pandora by christmas 2010. period. its not as if you really did anything positive to make the product produce by that time

Um,

From what I've been reading on these boards, it sounds to me like the team has stopped production to make sure the nubs will last for the length of the 1-year warranty that they have to provide. But surely the Pandora is being built to last a lot longer than that so even if we get them with these nubs that last 500K cycles, we will still be required at some point to replace the nubs ourselves. Surely then, if it is assumed that we will all be replacing nubs at some point, we could be receiving our pandoras with nubs that aren't gauranteed for the year but given maybe a couple of sets of spares later as they are manufactured and tested. I'm really very sorry that this post sounds so negative. I really look forward to having one of these amazing little machines in my hands and wish to congratulate the team on undertaking such a massive production and handling it well.

It was just that Seamus above said he was told he'd get it last christmas and when I ordered mine, I was gauranteed one before christmas this year. I'm not saying that I'm holding you guys to that, I'm just wondering if it will be done before christmas, 2011. I understand that everyone has in their mind the idea of this amazing little system and we all want it to be absolutely perfect by the time it starts shipping. It just seems like there will always be problems and if you halt production every time you find one, they will never be released.

As much as I want to hold a fully working Pandora in my hands, I wouldn't mind sacrificing the working nubs to have it earlier - if, as it seems to have been said, the nubs will need to be replaced anyway. I guess I feel its ok to put this idea forward because the community here seems to be filled with lots of people who have a fairly high understanding of the way the pandora works and if there are more hardware problems, there are more than enough happy people who are willing to help each other.

I should point out though that I only came across the pandora as of June this year so I dont know the whole history and therefor am probably just an idiot.

Sorry,

-Mike.

Not an idiot. Welcome to the forums. :)

That's pretty much what is happening with the TV cables. They can easily be sent out later, once they are produced. The nubs are a bit more difficult though - 99% of owners would not be able to install them. Almost every Pandora would have to be sent back. And for every person that actually could do it themselves, there would be warranty implications.

If/when the nub design becomes socket based, they will be user replaceable but there will still be warranty implications for people opening their Pandoras.

I ordered my Pandora very early after it was available,

Waiting for the Pandora just feels like the endless story, or waiting for Gran Turismo 5...

Maybe I'll have mine by the end of 2011, but I wouldn't bet on that.

*snip*...Waiting for the Pandora just feels like the endless story, or waiting for Gran Turismo 5...*snip*

I can't remember where I saw it and I'm too tired to look it up right now, but long story short I'm willing to bet a fair amount of cash that the private Duke Nukem Forever beta comes out before the last Pandora is shipped

Edit: Well, it's already out, hah, but the last one shipped is what I meant anyway

Also, first post on new forums... woo o.o

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've been reading on these boards, it sounds to me like the team has stopped production to make sure the nubs will last for the length of the 1-year warranty that they have to provide. But surely the Pandora is being built to last a lot longer than that so even if we get them with these nubs that last 500K cycles, we will still be required at some point to replace the nubs ourselves.
Well, the fact they're failing within warranty is why they've stopped production, but the 500k (now 400k) testing is about making them last much longer than a two years (or at least that's what members of this board have estimated). The assumption is that 400k cycles will last you longer than it takes for the Pandora 2 to come out.

If you're worried about damaging your nubs, you could always buy an iControlPad to connect to your Pandora ;)

Ummm :(

While I'm estatic of the Nubs news, realtiy is hitting me that it's quite likely I wont receive it before my Dec 18th trip.. Soooo should I order an iCP? Will i at least get that before my trip?

... I'm not saying that I'm holding you guys to that ...
Frankly, since OpenPandora is a company (as far as I know), we have every right to hold them to whatever promises they make. They shouldn't make promises other companies won't deliver.

I waited, put ordering off, until they said 'right, they are now being made and shipped' before ordering one. That was five months ago now, and they've not actually sent any more out than they did in the brief 'honeymoon' period in May.

Long story short: they should have waited until all the parts were perfect before making a single solitary unit of the finished product. I'll probably not be confident in mine, now, because it's taken so long and there have been so many unnecessary complications; I'll be treating it like a glass egg-shell, in the knowledge that it's only a matter of time before it either falls to pieces or expels the magic smoke.

That's if I actually get one. I'm contemplating asking for my money back, because as a student, living at home, unable to find a job, I just haven't got the damned money to waste on what is, for all I know at the moment, simply vapour.

I know this whole post most probably sounds unappreciative, but to be honest I can't appreciate something I can't see. I'm beginning to want proof of what's going on; documentary evidence of the transactions that have been performed through the project's development.

.......<SNIP>

That's if I actually get one. I'm contemplating asking for my money back, because as a student, living at home, unable to find a job, I just haven't got the damned money to waste on what is, for all I know at the moment, simply vapour.

I know this whole post most probably sounds unappreciative, but to be honest I can't appreciate something I can't see. I'm beginning to want proof of what's going on; documentary evidence of the transactions that have been performed through the project's development.
I know the waiting has been a royal PITA but, it would appear that due to your circumstances you have spent so long sitting and thinking about this that you have missed some obvious facts regarding this project. Read the forum posts for all the evidence you need that real people have real Pandora's. Granted, definitely not enough real people, but that's a whole different story.

Long story short: they should have waited until all the parts were perfect before making a single solitary unit of the finished product.
That wouldn't have happened. All the prototypes passed inspection. For all intents and purposes the parts were perfect. It wasn't until mass production that enough product got out there to discover any problems. The nubs on all the prototypes are still going strong after over a year. None of the prototypes have cracks in the case that I've heard, and only two have problems with the LCD cable which admittedly happened while dismantling and reassembling the kit.

At least they admitted there was a problem instead of telling you you were holding it wrong.

Frankly, since OpenPandora is a company (as far as I know), we have every right to hold them to whatever promises they make. They shouldn't make promises other companies won't deliver.

I waited, put ordering off, until they said 'right, they are now being made and shipped' before ordering one. That was five months ago now, and they've not actually sent any more out than they did in the brief 'honeymoon' period in May.

Long story short: they should have waited until all the parts were perfect before making a single solitary unit of the finished product. I'll probably not be confident in mine, now, because it's taken so long and there have been so many unnecessary complications; I'll be treating it like a glass egg-shell, in the knowledge that it's only a matter of time before it either falls to pieces or expels the magic smoke.

WHATS YOUR ORDER NUMBER!!??

All I can say is the unit I initially received and what I received back after my LCD crapped out on me being one of the first 20 units made. I'm happy. The delay is worth it for whoever doesn't have a Pandora from Batch 1, if these nubs are more solid, I would say that is the only thing that can be improved on my unit currently, they still work, but don't seem like they will last forever. If you need the money back, then ask for a refund. Open Pandora is not holding anyones money hostage. The unit isn't Vapor, as my new case, shoulder buttons, and LCD are so much more solid all around regarding feel and look, there is no complaining from this guy right here other than I can't use my left thumb currently being held together with superglue. So I'm playing AdultSwim Hemp Tycoon to pass the time.

If I was Order #1000, I would be really happy with the Pandora that I got compared to what my #14 was in May, even if I had to wait another 6 months for the kinks to be worked out of all hardware.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Back