Coming To The Uk To Make 1000 Pandoras

CiderPunk

Still Fresh
there's a lot of talk about your all getting it together to make this happen and you're getting 1000 cases delivered and everything, and that's great! but uh... yeah when are the other 3000 getting made?

Ok, I really don't wanna play the troll here but if we follow the last deadlines doe this mean that Craig and company will have a team of people during the 6 weeks that the assembly process is going to last?

Right now we can't really get to excited or to pissed off at this point! The 1000 cases still have to be approved for assmebly, and the next 3000 will then need to be produced and shipped. Hopefully they will ship in smaller runs of hopefully 500 at a time, but who knows. I really don't see the mould factory producing and shipping 3000 all that quickly. Am I wrong in thinking that the first 1000 has taken at least several weeks/month to get completed since the end of the CNY?

Right now there are many, many variables in this equation. That is the only "fact" we have. The boards might start to ship faster, but maybe not. The cases may have problems, and need to be tweeked, maybe not. The greatest thing going on right now is the fact that assembly is starting very soon with 500-1000 parts. This means that no matter what happens, we should all see 1000 units shipped shortly after assembly starts.

I'm sure Craig & the team will do there best to keep parts coming so production doesn't need to slow down or stop entirely. I'm sure Ed, Michael, Fatih, and whomever else is helping have lives in other locations, and can't stay with Craig forever, as they have jobs and lives back home, but I'm sure if they have to leave after a period, Craig will still have a fully trained and prepared crew to finish the remaining amounts once those parts trickle in. So just sit back and wait for the next big blog post from Ed, and see what has to be said, maybe things will speed up in time? Who knows. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Chris

I have every faith that the Pandora team will/are doing all they can in their power to get the finnished unit to the public as soon as possible and if it means slight delays over the next few wonths then so be it, that keeps me happy that we get quality.I do have a problem with who might be building the units as there is some soilder work to be done and i would prefer that to be handled by a responsible OP member only.Also i think if there are community members helping out and expect to get their Pandora~

at the end of the time worked, then the should NOT be allowed to choose what unit they take home, to ensure the work equaly hard on each unit.

Hopefully there will be no break between the first 1000 and the rest. However, the cases could have been started on the 1st IIRC. So it's taking 13/14 days to produce the first thousand.

We've also been told that the company can produce ~500 cases a day once the machines are running. So it's actually about 4-6 days of actual work to produce and ship them (allowing for setup and packaging). Therefore the factory is clearly not pumping these out at full speed. Presumably their estimate of a March 18th shipping date is based on having other things to do until next week and starting the cases next Monday.

The point I'm getting at is that if they are sending cases on the 18th which arrive on the the 22nd, they will have to have shut down the whole Pandora case production and I'm sure they won't be sitting on their hands waiting for OP to say 'Go'. I suspect more likely that after they get the 'Go', they'll come up with a new target date for shipping the rest, which fits with their schedule and by past history, could be a month away.

Apologies if this looks like scaremongering, I know some people here are a little highly-strung. Luckily, we're in an 'Up' period, so probably noone will listen to me. :)

Anyway, delays after the first confirmed Pandora received will feel verrry different. They will be delays getting something REAL OUT, rather than what we have now which is still something very abstract.

a

They have yet to order the remaining 3.000 cases from China. And when they do, the Chinese company won't produce the cases immediately. Instead they are going to place the order in a queue. The remaining 3.000 cases are going to be produced when it suits the Chinese Company best. This could be end of March or end of July. Who knows? But OP won't tell you that because they fear too many people cancelling their order. So they are suggesting all the time that the Pandora is just around the corner. This attracts a constant flow of new orders to fill the gaps.

MiniSinisterMinister said:
They have yet to order the remaining 3.000 cases from China.

Says who?
Your gay lover?

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidpoobear said:
ED said this actually.

Not exactly. The company doesn't do orders below 10.000, so we had to order 10.000.
But they don't have to produced all at once, so we're starting with 1000 and doing the rest while we're building those to find out if there are any problems.

Last edited:
MiniSinisterMinister said:
They have yet to order the remaining 3.000 cases from China. And when they do, the Chinese company won't produce the cases immediately. Instead they are going to place the order in a queue. The remaining 3.000 cases are going to be produced when it suits the Chinese Company best. This could be end of March or end of July. Who knows? But OP won't tell you that because they fear too many people cancelling their order. So they are suggesting all the time that the Pandora is just around the corner. This attracts a constant flow of new orders to fill the gaps.

You should post on GP32Spain :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, right, GP32Spain... Wasn't that the Spanish Kafka fan club? Amirite?*

But yeah, he'd fit right in.

*EDIT: on second thought, I don't think that many will get that one...

I think for the cost of a plane trip to China, we could've had the cases approved and mass produced already. If someone had just *gone* there, waited for the first ones to come off the line, and said "Hell yes, go for it!", then there'd be 10,000 cases sitting there waiting to be stuffed in England by now. All this shipping around and bullshit: this has caused an immense delay.

It could have cost around $450 to fly to China from Europe, if you play the ticket game right ..

Back