Comming To London

Wow. It truly warms my cold, bitter, stoic heart to see folks from 'across the pond' being cool to an American.

My wife and I want to vist Europe very badly, but the way the world is now with Georgie W. at the helm, she is very worried about how Americans are percieved by the rest of the world.

You guys rock :)

geo12 posted on Mar 18 2005 at 02:06 AM said:
Tomorrow im leaving for London for a week. Im saying at St. James place. It would be really great if some of you locals could tell me where some things i must see, and places to go. I can't wait, it sounds like such a great place!! ^_^

Hang on, He's staying at ST. JAME'S PALACE !!!!!!, This must be one hell of an important American! Isn't Bush doing a visit tomorrow....And he's a GP32er too..... :unsure:

TelcoLou posted on Mar 19 2005 at 01:04 AM said:
Wow. It truly warms my cold, bitter, stoic heart to see folks from 'across the pond' being cool to an American.

My wife and I want to vist Europe very badly, but the way the world is now with Georgie W. at the helm, she is very worried about how Americans are percieved by the rest of the world.

Don't worry, I'm a brit living in Germany, and they all hate Brits more than Americans :D . There is a lot of anti USA/UK feeling, but more against Bush/Blair (rightly so, IMO). But Nobody has had a go at me about it at all! You'll be made very welcome, and go away thinking what a friendly bunch we are. We always make a fuss of foriegners till they decide to stay here/there! Then we can't ship 'em off fast enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing as you are coming from the US, which is enourmous and you are all well used to travelling, I'd say it's well worth a wonder out of London (all of the UK fits in Texas remember). The south coast is excellent and is only about 1hr from London. In fact you should try to get around as much as possible. I have nothing against London (except the tube not running 24hrs) but coming to the UK and only going to London is like going to New York and saying "well I've seen America now!".

On another note... Having been round a fair bit of the US I found that the good bits of American cities are very good but the bad bits are very bad. The UK is more evenly balanced - an area that we would consider dodgy is nothing like as bad as the rough bits of US cities. You should feel free to wonder about as much as you like and not worry about asking people directions etc... unless they have tracksuit trousers that are tucked into their socks...

J(ohn)

johncross85 posted on Mar 19 2005 at 01:10 AM said:
Seeing as you are coming from the US, which is enourmous and you are all well used to travelling, I'd say it's well worth a wonder out of London (all of the UK fits in Texas remember). The south coast is excellent and is only about 1hr from London. In fact you should try to get around as much as possible. I have nothing against London (except the tube not running 24hrs) but coming to the UK and only going to London is like going to New York and saying "well I've seen America now!".

On another note... Having been round a fair bit of the US I found that the good bits of American cities are very good but the bad bits are very bad. The UK is more evenly balanced - an area that we would consider dodgy is nothing like as bad as the rough bits of US cities. You should feel free to wonder about as much as you like and not worry about asking people directions etc... unless they have tracksuit trousers that are tucked into their socks...

J(ohn)

John, it's well past your bed time... :rolleyes:

TelcoLou posted on Mar 19 2005 at 01:04 AM said:

If you are worried that Europeans may not like you because of George W then you have nothing to worry about... If you were blissfully unaware of possible friction then that may be a differnt story ;)

J(ohn)

lubidog posted on Mar 19 2005 at 01:12 AM said:

[Chuckle]

Well that's probably true. Once again a mixture of alcohol and broadband have been my downfall.

J(ohn)

johncross85 posted on Mar 19 2005 at 01:25 AM said:
lubidog posted on Mar 19 2005 at 01:12 AM said:

[Chuckle]

Well that's probably true. Once again a mixture of alcohol and broadband have been my downfall.

J(ohn)
Dr Pepper in my case. :D

TelcoLou posted on Mar 19 2005 at 02:04 AM said:

Don't worry about it. most people feel sorry for americans at the mo cause of Bush.

hey guys, just back from london, and im very sad ]=
you could have told me there is no more sega world and that its now called trocadero (crappy name) :(
I'm sort of a sega fanboy, and its too bad sega world had to close....and they are now using less than 2 floors for arcades, sega world used SIX....but thats over now i guess... apart from that, london is great! I've been to cambridge too and discovered a very kewl shop called gamestation...they sell pre-owned and new games for ridiculous (hope i spelt that right) low prices...got some DC games for 5 pound each and genesis, SNES and so on are even cheaper :)

Nilsiboy posted on Mar 25 2005 at 12:13 PM said:
hey guys, just back from london, and im very sad ]=
you could have told me there is no more sega world and that its now called trocadero (crappy name) :(
I'm sort of a sega fanboy, and its too bad sega world had to close....and they are now using less than 2 floors for arcades, sega world used SIX....but thats over now i guess... apart from that, london is great! I've been to cambridge too and discovered a very kewl shop called gamestation...they sell pre-owned and new games for ridiculous (hope i spelt that right) low prices...got some DC games for 5 pound each and genesis, SNES and so on are even cheaper :)

Gamestation is indeed great. I think it's Britian's largest games shop chain now (above GAME), if I'm not mistaken.

There's a gamestation in Reading and Bath - I didn't think they were bigger than GAME though?

I remember going to London when I was about 13 to goto Segaworld. (Wasn't it you pay an entry fee then you all the arcades were on freeplay? When I went it was free to get in but you had to pay which was annoying.) That was a long time ago.

The building was always called the Trocadero though.

Namco world was a bit rubbish when I went - but san fransico rush was 50p a go!
That was a while ago though cos im about 22 now.

i indeed WANTED to get some sega useless gadgets, but sega world is dead now ]=

anyway found a gadgetshop...they're great :D they had a lightsabre for 120 pounds (still cant find the key for the pound icon :p )

I doubt GameStation is bigger than GAME, they don't even have stores in N.I, where as GAME have stores here and the republic.

GameStation rocks though, they sell GP32's! (Well in Edinburgh anyway).

finty posted on Mar 26 2005 at 06:06 PM said:
GameStation rocks though, they sell GP32's! (Well in Edinburgh anyway).

You can sell them a GP32 BLU for a whopping price of £40 according to the 'Most Wanted' chart in Reading :p

Back