Compact Headphones (Ear Buds) For Wiz

DRED

Still Fresh
What portable headphones do you guys use for your wiz? I would assume ear buds are the best option, but any recommendations for a resonably priced pair?

Right now the Sennheiser CX300 earbuds are on sale in various places for less than $20. I think they're a really nice set of earbuds for the price. Some people don't like the design where the cord to one earbud is longer than the other (asymetrical). You can also get the CX500s off of eBay for around $20.

Depends what you're looking for, basically you buy the most expensive pair you're willing to get, cheaper headphones = lower quality. Price/performance wise you're looking at £40 for an "ok" pair and £120 for a great pair.

Something from Sennheiser is usually a good buy. I've had three different headphones from them, all very good quality. The little portable headphones are also very good. You almost never go wrong with Sennheiser.

Haven't got them yet but I ordered these: http://www.jr.com/iluv/pe/ILU_I353BLK/

They're pretty cheap (so probably not the best, but here's hoping they're decent), they match the wiz with their aluminum pieces and black, and they have volume control.

I will post back when I've heard how they sound :)

I go through headphones fast, so I normally buy fairly cheap ones. I'm using koss plugs right now, but probably should have gone for the sennheiser cx300's. I've had koss ksc-75's, which are cheap, robust and sound the same as portapros. Last headphones I had (before plugs) were sennheiser px100's, which broke after two months becaues I stepped on them. Besides that, they were quite good.

Enverex, cost isn't everything. You can't judge anything by how much it costs. It might give you a general idea but that's about it. You can get better $20 headphones than headphones that cost $200, I know this for a fact... but I'll have to wait and see how good these ones are.

That only applies if you've looking at headphones that cost $200 for no actual reason. I'm referring to headphones from respectable brands that aren't known for unreasonable pricing.

Well I agree that in general, paying more usually gets you a better product. With headphones though, they're so cheap to make that you can actually get a reasonable pair for not that much money. I'm not expecting these ILUV headphones to be spectacular, I'm just hoping for "worth it". Right now I have a big pair of studio headphones which sound good but are not portable, and another pair that came with a $30 mp3 player, so any way you slice it it's an upgrade.

True, I'm just cursed with horribly good hearing (and the inability to not notice quality in audio). Would be nice if I was an audio engineer but I'm not, which means I just get driven mad by anything other than very nice headphones (don't get me started on low bitrate lossy encoding).

I've gone through about 5 pairs of different portable headphones lately, they cost between £15 and £40 and were, with the exception of the Sennheiser CX500's, awful. The CX500's were ok but far from being 'good'. I've just moved up to the UE700's (£135) and they are fantastically better, but that's expected considering the price difference. Still not as good as my Sennheiser HD580 Precisions (bought for £94 going back about 8 years ago, now they cost £190? Not quite sure what's going on there) but are great for travelling due to being isolating earphones (bought them for a recent trip to the Lake District).

Really what you're looking for are headphones that have a great range of frequency response. But for the wiz, the sound is pretty flat anyway. =P

Sound
• Acoustic system: Open
• Magnet type: Neodymium
• Voice coil: CCAW
• Diaphragm: Mylar dome
• Frequency response: 16 - 22 000 Hz
•Impedance: 16 Ohm
• Maximum power input: 50 mW
• Sensitivity: 106 dB
• Speaker diameter: 15 mm
•Type: Dynamic

Not the best headphones in the world, but I bought them for around 20 dollars. They're totally shitkicked, and I've replaced the phono jack because the original broke. They've got that asymmetrical cord, too. but I like that, because I can sling it over my neck and keep my headphones on when I'm not actually using them, which is pretty nifty. For the price, they've treated me well, but I had a pair of koss in-ear headphones that was just magical, the bass response was like sticking your head inside someone's subwoofer.

This is why I'm hard of hearing.

xD

EDIT: Here's the link to the page with the specs. http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/us/consumer/cc/_productid_SHE5920_27_US_CONSUMER/In-Ear-Headphones+SHE5920-27

I got those iLuv headphones today.. The sound quality is typical of a $20-40 pair of headphones. They are better than most headphones in that range for a couple reasons: They look nice, build quality is pretty good, they have volume control, the connector is very small which is quite nice, and they fit my ears nicely. I played some music on my ipod, some games, and some wiz games with them and they are good for the price. They're roughly equivalent to a pair of Sony ear buds I had that cost around the same, but with more features. At least they'll tide me over until I can afford those wooden skully candy ones :).

Back