Compo4All Trash Talk, Tips & Tricks, Discussions, Etc.

Ghouls N Ghosts looks funner than Ghosts N Goblins.

The us of the improper word "funner" was intentional.
Well, it added the ability to shoot up/down, so that made the game easier for sure. I would say it's funner just for the overall graphic improvements.

"Super" took the shoot up/down feature away, but added a double jump and some damn cool weapons and power ups. Like I said, this was my personally favorite, but they are all good in their own way.

Chris

has to be gng.zip for C4ALL?

Last edited:
has to be gng.zip for C4ALL?
Yes, Mame 106 version, check it works in PanMame first (FWIW I had a version from a 118 set initially, it worked in PanMame and in C4ALL - but weirdly the signature tune at the start after the thunderclap didn't sound in C4ALL).

Frogger fiends scrambling for 17k+ score, the collision detection starts to become a real %~{}~%^§ by then doesn't it?

^ I wouldn't know.  I can't seem to get above 14,000.   <_<  Those 4 speedy cars (in a row) are turning me into a green splat on the road...

Maybe I need to fuss around with bash script!*   :D  

*just kidding

^  I'm not entirely sure, if you haven't seen this part of the following thread yet, posts #518-521 seem most interesting... but as Skeezix said (in post #521), it could just be a bug.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12127-release-compo4all-mame-ladderscoreboard-competition-for-classic-arcade-games/page-26
oh, forgot about that (<-- too busy! ;) .. should I just kill off that score? I mean, its superior to Billy Mitchells scores by far, so pretty unlikely ;)

jeff

fwiw, I have backed up the score-file this morning, and then removed the weird score from the live file.

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
^  I'm not entirely sure, if you haven't seen this part of the following thread yet, posts #518-521 seem most interesting... but as Skeezix said (in post #521), it could just be a bug.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12127-release-compo4all-mame-ladderscoreboard-competition-for-classic-arcade-games/page-26
oh, forgot about that (<-- too busy! ;) .. should I just kill off that score? I mean, its superior to Billy Mitchells scores by far, so pretty unlikely ;)

jeff
fwiw, I have backed up the score-file this morning, and then removed the weird score from the live file.

jeff
Cheers - For some reason CJR's initials are still showing on the current high score, which actually belongs to me 

So I was trying to be sportsmanly and wait for you, Chris, to top my Ghosts'n Goblins score before getting back into playing it.

I regret to inform you that my score has been pushed a bit further, by my girlfriend. ;)

She got a hold of my Pandora and decided to give GnG a go.

There isn't enough trash talk in here btw.

So I was trying to be sportsmanly and wait for you, Chris, to top my Ghosts'n Goblins score before getting back into playing it.

I regret to inform you that my score has been pushed a bit further, by my girlfriend. ;)

She got a hold of my Pandora and decided to give GnG a go.

There isn't enough trash talk in here btw.
Between you in GnG and Mr. Loon & Asmo over in Frogger, the wind has been completely removed from my sails :D

I figured I needed to take a break and come back fresh after a little rest. I may be down, but I'm not out.

I also agree that there isn't nearly enough trash talking going on ;) Sadly, it's hard for me to trash talk when I don't have the top spots. 

Chris

The trick (for me anyway) with Frogger as you progress is to watch for the critical lines, like the 2nd last row of cars and the last row of logs - there is always a wider gap to anticipate. If you can see the alignment coming up on the road, you can usually make it across in a quick burst - on later levels it's very hard to jaywalk in the traffic, so it's a better tactic!

Then the river crossing - keep an eye on the last row, you need to know there's going to be something to land on when you get there, or else you'll have to do some jumping back to gain a delay until there is. Yes, you CAN jump onto Alligators. You can jump onto snake tails, just avoid the heads.

The other thing is time=score, so when it comes to the river crossing, use the faster moving platforms to get you lined up with the destination pond, rather than letting yourself drift too much to either side each time, because the last row is slow moving and wastes time, so you want to land almost aligned with your target if possible.

Between you in GnG and Mr. Loon & Asmo over in Frogger, the wind has been completely removed from my sails :D
Well, let me tell you part of the big secret -_-

If you are going for points in GnG ... the player with the farthest distance traveled is not always the winner.

Rather, the player with the highest points might not have traveled anywhere at all.

:ph34r:

Try to beat my score in NubNub!

nubnub.png

I see there's been a challenge in Burger Time ;)

Tip of the day - try to get an enemy kill with EVERY piece of burger you drop. Lure the enemies to one side and walk part way across a burger piece, then when one of them tries to follow you on that level, move the rest of the way across the burger piece. They'll drop with it and any chasing from below will be hit too. Try not to use any pepper on the first screen, you should be able to clear it with over 8000 points.

On the second screen go straight up at the start and do the same, avoiding the lower trapped area. Save your pepper until you need to clear that bottom part, you may need it there....

traylorpark, I'm coming for you. I've got GnG all dialed in. You better get your girlfriend to bump it up, otherwise your going down. I should have had it my last game, but I died before I could grab the kings medallion(10,000), DAMN :angry:   

Chris

Wait!!?! WHAT? here I am diligently working on Paperwars and not only my Minislug record is knocked out, but now ... my throne, my iron fucking throne ... has been usurped!

THIS WILL NOT STAND!

my girlfriend is gonna be angry :blink:

Nobody managed to get a million points yet in NubNub? C'mon guys, it's not that hard!

I want some real challenges to stay #1 in my own game! I'm not even trying to beat my own highscore now (because nobody is even getting close to my current highscore), but iirc I did get 1.7 million points at some point (that was before I added C4A support), and I think 2 million points shouldn't be that hard to get with some training.

(Note that you don't have to be on-line to record a highscore, it will remember your best score and submit it later)

(Note that you don't have to be on-line to record a highscore, it will remember your best score and submit it later)
Cool feature, I'm hoping something like that can be added to the whole Compo at some point. 

I haven't tried NubNub yet, but I'll except the challenge :p

Chris

And Ekianjo is off the Minislug board!

GOD DAMN ... that jelly fish part is horrrrrrible. There is no fun to be had there ... unless somebody has some technique to it?

Back