Compo4All Trash Talk, Tips & Tricks, Discussions, Etc.

Hey Jumpan, congrats on your Frogger score. Is it true it gets a little easier (at least for a while) after passing level 5?

Time for a bit of intense training methinks.

Not easier, Loon...but different.

After the hard Level 5 rush hour, if you are lucky or skillful enough to get past that...everything slows way down...but there's far more cars, etc, on the road, so your window of getting thru is almost as hard as when they were going really fast.  It's just that they are going slow...but far more of them....and finding a path thru is NOT easy.

Hey Jumpan, congrats on your Frogger score. Is it true it gets a little easier (at least for a while) after passing level 5?

Time for a bit of intense training methinks.
Yeah, level 5 is beyond sick. Somehow the planets aligned that game, and I actually had some "clear" moments and was able to get through the traffic pretty good for once(instead of normally feeling super rushed).

Not easier, Loon...but different.

After the hard Level 5 rush hour, if you are lucky or skillful enough to get past that...everything slows way down...but there's far more cars, etc, on the road, so your window of getting thru is almost as hard as when they were going really fast.  It's just that they are going slow...but far more of them....and finding a path thru is NOT easy.
This^

I did find it easier for the most part though, as up to that point chaos is the order of the day. So even though there are more cars and enemies on level 6, it should at least feel easier after what's been going on up to that point. I went several stages past that point, and if it was as bad as level 5, I wouldn't have made it one more stage if  the difficulty went up in the same way it had been.

Chris

Finally! Nabbed the Frogger top spot.. for now!

After a lot of attempts to change my strategy on that difficult screen (5?), I finally figured it out.

This is the screen that (scores indicate) is the stopping block for most - 4 fast sports cars under the trucks.

How I did it: Note that there is one large gap between the trucks, letting you onto the riverbank. There is also a small but significant gap in the sports cars. In the second last row of vehicles (forget the bottom row) there is also a larger gap that on every second pass aligns with the large gap in the trucks.

What needs to be done is to WAIT on the bottom, slightly to the left until you see the large gap in the trucks go off the left side of the screen (assuming the aligned gap in the vehicles below the sports cars wasn't there that time). Make your move into the traffic flow and keep going right until you can join the larger gap in the traffic below the sports cars. Then as you safely keep pace going left, count the passing sports cars, as soon as the 4th passes overhead you can make a break for the riverbank through the large truck gap above.

Note, this costs a lot of time, so you won't complete this screen this way - BUT after saving two frogs, it all slows down significantly and you will be able to make it across the traffic without having to take advantage of these specific gaps anymore.

As you've only one platform at the end to get safely home, don't bother trying to align with it - the second to last row (turtles) move so slowly you should be able to ride it out and have a second shot at getting home!

I would have passed 30k but I made a stupid mistake on a following screen... nearly burst a blood vessel when I passed 28k!

;)

Congrats Asmo! 

I had actually been trying to step my score up, as I knew it was only a matter of time. Like I said earlier, the game really gives a nice break after level 5, so I really think a mid 30,000 or higher is not out of the question.

Now I actually have a "real" reason to get a higher score, IT'S ON! ;)

Chris

Note, this costs a lot of time, so you won't complete this screen this way - BUT after saving two frogs, it all slows down significantly and you will be able to make it across the traffic without having to take advantage of these specific gaps anymore.

Congrats Asmo, pretty sure you got lucky re the above. From memory this slowdown has never occurred when I was playing. Managed to get 4 frogs home on C4A screen 5 a few times.

Bring it on!

Frogger allows a kind of quick two-step move that is really tricky to get right with the D-Pad (forward and Left or Right almost simultaneously), I added the Y and X buttons as up and down, so I could play using the D-Pad for L/R only, and the X/Y buttons for up and down (You could do the opposite if that was more suitable). Need to have the Pandora on a solid surface to play this way, but I found it more precise in the more difficult situations...

Frogger allows a kind of quick two-step move that is really tricky to get right with the D-Pad (forward and Left or Right almost simultaneously), I added the Y and X buttons as up and down, so I could play using the D-Pad for L/R only, and the X/Y buttons for up and down (You could do the opposite if that was more suitable). Need to have the Pandora on a solid surface to play this way, but I found it more precise in the more difficult situations...
Since I really started playing Frogger in Compo, I noticed that I need more accurate controls as well. There are many of my deaths, where I'm just moving faster than my left hand and D-Pad will allow(or the game for that matter). I'm sure I could do much better with the arcade joystick, but I'm way used to the D-Pad now, and I really doubt I could go with your set up, but it seems like a more precise way to play.

Chris

Back