Config Files Toggling Too Fast

Axe_Murderer

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi all, hope someone can help...

I need to be able to very quickly toggle between two configurations. To this end I've set up two custom mode config files that toggle between each other using the 'goto-' command when the right shoulder button is pressed. The only problem is the extremely high rate at which the toggling takes place. This means that when I press the button, rather than toggling once to the desired configuration, it rapidly toggles between both configurations before I get a chance to release the button. Half the time, I end up selecting the wrong configuration. :(

Is there a way of slowing this down so that I can reliably select the configuration that I want? I've tried various settings for keythresh, vkeytravel, vkeyrepeat and vkeyduration, but they don't have any effect upon this circumstance.

Any ideas? Is there another variable in addition to the above that I don't know about?

Er, I couldn't have put it better myself, cozmic :rolleyes: <_<

Well anyway, just in case anyone else ever has the same problem and finds this thread, I thought that I'd just quickly explain the very straighforward solution that I used to get around it:

After some experimenting, I noticed that it was much easier to deliberately and reliably press the custom bound toggle button for the period of time necessary to result in the execution of two toggles than it was for the execution of only one. Therefore, I merely arranged my configuration files in such a way so that it was necessary to execute two toggles in order to alternate between the two configurations. I did this by simply creating two instances of each of the two configuration files that I wanted to alternate between and then linking them together using 'goto-' commands in a circular fashion as follows:

First instance of configuration A toggles to second instance of configuration A

Second instance of configuration A toggles to first instance of configuration B

First instance of configuration B toggles to second instance of configuration B

Second instance of configuration B toggles to first instance of configuration A

Hence, by pairing each configuration, it becomes necessary to 'toggle' twice in order to reach the next configuration.

It may not be the most elegant solution, but it works ;) Now, I can play Captive without worrying about not being able to run away from the monsters when I need to :D :lol:

Hello, it's me again :rolleyes:

Some people have been asking me for copies of my configuration files, so I thought that, rather than emailing them to individuals, it might be better to post them so that anyone can see them ;)

Below are the configuration files that I am currently using. Defaults.cnf, by virtue of its name, is automatically loaded as the custom configuration when you fire up Castaway, so all you have to do is press Start and select Custom Input to load it ;) :-

Contents of Defaults.cnf:

print Movement
keythresh 100
vkeyrepeat 600
bind-fl ST_KP_4
bind-fr ST_KP_6
bind-up ST_KP_8
bind-down ST_KP_2
bind-left ST_KP_7
bind-right ST_KP_9
bind-b mouse-fl
bind-a mouse-fr
bind-select goto-default2.cnf

Contents of Default2.cnf:

print Monitors
bind-fl ST_KP_4
bind-fr ST_KP_6
bind-up ST_6
bind-down ST_8
bind-left ST_5
bind-right ST_7
bind-b mouse-fl
bind-a ST_9
bind-select goto-default3.cnf

Contents of Default3.cnf:

print Mouse
bind-fl ST_KP_4
bind-fr ST_KP_6
bind-up mouse-up
bind-down mouse-down
bind-left mouse-left
bind-right mouse-right
bind-b mouse-fl
bind-a mouse-fr
bind-select goto-default4.cnf

Contents of Default4.cnf:

print Monitors
bind-fl ST_KP_4
bind-fr ST_KP_6
bind-up ST_6
bind-down ST_8
bind-left ST_5
bind-right ST_7
bind-b mouse-fl
bind-a ST_9
bind-select goto-defaults.cnf

You'll notice that I've now incorporated 3 different configurations across the 4 files. The way that this works is as follows. Since I have come to the conclusion that it is much easier to reliably cause two 'toggeles' or goto- commands to execute in quick succession as opposed to trying to get only one to execute, and considering the fact that I have also come to the realisation that a third albeit less vital configuration would be advantageous in addition to the two important and obvious configurations of Mouse and Robot Party movement, I have decided to capitalise on the presence of those aforementioned necessary dummy/spacer configuration files by populating them with a third configuration that allows for the manipulation of the robots' monitors. That way, whenever you want to simply toggle between Mouse movement and Robot Party movement, all you have to do is press the toggle button (bound to Select) for the period of time that you would consider to be a normal key press. Furthermore, in order to toggle in and out of the less frequently needed configuration that controls the robots' monitors, all you have to do is press the toggle button for a slightly shorter or longer period of time. :D ;)

Below is an explanation of the key bindings for the three configurations:

Movement: Joypad is used to move the party around.
Mouse: Joypad is used to move the mouse cursor around.
Monitors: Joypad is used to switch each robot's monitor on and off.

All configurations use the Select button to toggle between configurations.
For the purposes of ease of use and consistency, all configurations use the left and right shoulder buttons to sidestep left and right respectively (for emergencies :lol: ).
For the purposes of ease of use and consistency, all configurations use the B and A buttons to trigger the left and right mouse buttons respectively (this allows you to potentially throw or attack with the A button in any configuration ;) ). The one exception to this is the Monitors configuration which uses the B button the switch the Camera monitor on and off).

I have found that running Captive at a clock speed of 99Mhz using the Superior menu disks 155A and 155B with Castaway version 13.2+ to be the most convenient choices becuase of the following:-

1. The Superior disks are the only ones that I can find that allow you to get to the planet surfaces without Castaway freezing.
2. The higher the clock speed, the more difficult it is to accurately position the mouse cursor, which is something that you need to be able to do in this game. 66Mhz makes the game too slow for me, so I found 99Mhz to be a happier medium. It is worth noting that I have set the vkeyrepeat variable to 600 to work in conjunction this clock speed so that robot party movement is comfortable, so you might want to change this value if you decide to run at a different clock speed.
3. I chose to run Castaway 13.2+ because, for some reason, under 13.3 at 99Mhz the sound is all crackily, whereas it is not with 13.2+.

Okay, I guess that pretty much covers it. <_< I certainly find this setup very convenient and easy to use, so if this post helps others in any way to enjoy this great game, then all this typing will have been worth it! Doh, I don't think I've done my RSI any good, though :p :lol:

Chris

Hey Chris :)

your work on the config files is awesome & I must admit that you are really the biggest fan of Captive I've met ;) but I suppose it should be like a dream for you to be able to play it on the way, so I'm really happy that you success in it making it really comfortable to play ;p

thanks alot :)

You're most welcome Tidus :D

You're right though, I probably have come across as a bit of a Captive fanatic :lol: Thing is, I'm hoping to do a lot of travelling soon and wanted to take a cool RPG with me. I chose Captive and, sometimes, once I've decided upon something, I can be rather tenacious... :p

Anyway, I hope that my meager observations may be of some use to other fans of this great game and this great community <_< B)

thanks man, I hope you realise you've just made my day! I've just been playing thru the first world and it's made me feel rather nostalgic.. I even got out my old copy so I could flick through the manual again :)

I think I will spend a fair bit of time playing this on the 24hour flight I've got this tuesday..

:D :D

bloomin marvellous

Back