Connect 2 Pandoras?

ahahah

hello

is it possible to connect 2 pandoras for example to play at 2 players games on the console or to play on tv??

thanks

ahahah said:
hello

is it possible to connect 2 pandoras for example to play at 2 players games on the console or to play on tv??

thanks

Yes it has Wifi, but it depends if the game supports multiplayer or not. There is TV out through an optional cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pandora has wifi / bluetooth / usb so there is plenty of way you can connect 2 Pandora togheter. Then it's up to the game to support multiplayer.

You can also connect multiple gamepad to the Pandora (using a usb switch) and play on a TV. I am sure some emulator will allow multiple controls...

Yes, you can easily connect them if they're on the same Wireless LAN, but I don't know how the OS will handle ad-hoc networks like the DS uses.
Anyone know?

GUI wise it's NetworkManager that is beeing used. It allows you to created ad-hoc network. Seeing how the wifi driver are still being worked on there is garanties it will work properly though. I am sure we will get enough feedback once the Pandora is out the door.

I hope NetworkManager works out. All of my experience with it has led me to believe it's a buggy piece of crap. I switched to Wicd one day and never looked back.

Lunatic said:
I hope NetworkManager works out. All of my experience with it has led me to believe it's a buggy piece of crap. I switched to Wicd one day and never looked back.
really? How long ago was that 'cause it works beautifully for me in fedora & just fine on my friend's ubuntu box.

Consequence9 said:
Lunatic said:
really? How long ago was that 'cause it works beautifully for me in fedora & just fine on my friend's ubuntu box.

NetworkManager has been working great for me for years in various distros, Including Mint, Which is the main one i use.

I tried Wicd a couple of times on various installations, As recommended by various places on the net, Mainly out of curiosity. I found it quite illogical, Very restrictive, And was suitably unimpressed. Went back to the comfort of NetworkManager and never looked back.

Trooper

Consequence9 said:
Lunatic said:
It was only about a year ago, but my wireless (ath9k) was poorly supported at the time.

:( yes :( about as weird as me wanting to do every task from the mouse (bar typing) :)

edit: Ubuntu's wireless is realy sorted now, in fact it's scary how sorted it is, I havent got any wifi or usb gizmo that doesn't "just work" when I plug it in, even an old Advent gprs modem is found and configured straight off, better than windows XP ever managed WITH the driver disk in the drive.

edit:edit: just checked and wireless on this laptop is Atheros XB63 , works fine.

Lunatic said:
Consequence9 said:
Lunatic said:
It was only about a year ago, but my wireless (ath9k) was poorly supported at the time.

I've had poor luck with Atheros in general in Linux.. I've had to change them out in a few work laptops running various flavors of linux. Some seem to have poorer radio reception in Linux or they have spotty Cisco EAP (LEAP) connectivity. Yet in windows the same wireless cards do fine.. All comes down to who wrote the drivers.

My personal impression is that either networkmanager or wicd work and do what you like on a specific system. On some systems nm was horrible and wicd great, on other systems it was the other way round. Personally, I still prefer ifconfig/iwconfig, those just work ;)

I'm guessing the hard part would be to get the 2 Pandora's to recognize each other AND have the game use the connection. I'm sure there will be multiplayer games that are ported, but they will need to be modified to enable the connection via bluetooth/usb.

An easy way out would be to get 2 controllers attached at base that connects to the USB and have the device recognize it as a keyboard. Then on a multiplayer game, change the controls for player 1 and 2. Now you can play multiplayer on small screen, or connect it to a larger one. This all assumes that the game is multiplayer (ie two people side-by-side on the keyboard) instead of two consoles connected.

Here's a 2min picture if words don't explain:
remotes.jpg

hobbyman II said:
:( yes :( about as weird as me wanting to do every task from the mouse (bar typing) :)

edit: Ubuntu's wireless is realy sorted now, in fact it's scary how sorted it is, I havent got any wifi or usb gizmo that doesn't "just work" when I plug it in, even an old Advent gprs modem is found and configured straight off, better than windows XP ever managed WITH the driver disk in the drive.

edit:edit: just checked and wireless on this laptop is Atheros XB63 , works fine.
you just got lucky then, all the cards/adapters you've tried must have native drivers. It took me 6 hrs of googling & using the command line to get my friend's laptop's wireless card working in ubuntu (and I still had to use ndiswrapper, yuck!).

Kangal said:
I'm guessing the hard part would be to get the 2 Pandora's to recognize each other AND have the game use the connection. I'm sure there will be multiplayer games that are ported, but they will need to be modified to enable the connection via bluetooth/usb.
(...)

Using the OTG port on one pandora and a plain mini-b -> a you should be able to use eth over USB, which looks exactly like a standard network connection, just like wifi (or eth cable) to any application; the only problem I can see would be related to the USB 2.0 only limitation, and be solved with a small usb hub. This is probably useful as a workaround while ad-hoc networks are being worked on.

I don't think that eth over bluetooth is available, however, and adding bluetooth to the multiplayer options for games would be useful, since it uses less power.

Well, since Pidgin will be available on the Pandora.
Using the "Bonjour!" protocol on it, you'll be able to talk to any device with a "Bonjour!" enabled IM Client.

Maybe the devs could use "Bonjour!" or something similar?

I would very much like for a Bonjour-like service to be available for us developers on PandoraOS .. I was planning on just having a client/server model for my multiplayer games, but if we can get Bonjour, this would be really nice too ..

This is as good a place as any to ask if Pond has been dropped, parked, or what. Does anybody know?

Back