connect usb harddisc to gp32

kamiel

Still Fresh
Should it be possible to connect an usb harddisc to the gp32 powering the harddisc with ecternal powersupply. Or an usb cardreader so we can use ibm microdrives as compactflash cards.

sure, then we only need a 18inch lcd display, a dvd writer, keyboard and mouse, a lan adapter and a nvidia graphics card to get a real cool portable computer. oh wait... we call that laptop already.

come on, don't bash the newbie. kamiel, although you didn't know, this has been discussed many times. Such a thing like you described hasn't been done because of the complexity. Not only would a suitable plug and external power supply have to be created, but the bios would have to be updated to accept the new storage. It's too complicated.

Just take a look at this site. It has a compact flash adapter for a Japanese cell phone (which happens to be mine :D ). the connector is similar, but too big. If you want to start doing a project like that, start with something like I showed you at that website.

Actually i never thought that was all that bad of an idea. After all when one of us decides to edit the bios to accomidate the support for more ram why not add in a way to use a microdrive through the expansion port instead of the usb since the usb port isnt powered.

And another great thing to add on is a more longer lasting batt like maby one from a sony handheld pc :D

I really like the idea of a hard disk connected to the GP32, and it will happen... although probably not all that soon.

The games that are around at the moment won't be able to load files from hard disk instead of SMC, but the things I can see it being used for include:

* An mp3/ogg player that plays from hard disk
* Store heaps of games on the hard disk, transfer to SMC to play them
* Take SMC card from digital camera (mine uses SMC) to GP32, use GP32 to transfer pictures to hard disk... good for long holidays without access to a PC

The GP32 linux that's in development (I haven't looked at it, presumably it's based on mizi's work http://www.mizi.com/en/developer/s3c2410x) apparently has a working USB host implementation.

This is actually the reason that I bought my GP32, and although I haven't had the time to work on it as much as I'd like, it's still on my to-do list. Maybe someone will beat me to it!

Back