Contemplating Purchase Of A Gp32

Sarpedon

Still Fresh
Basically I know I am going to get one, I just have a couple of questions

Do I need to convert ROM files that I can use with my PC emulators in any way to be able to play them on the GP32? I play NES games and such on my PC with NESticle, will those same ROMs work with the emulators for the GP32?

Do I just download the files onto the Smart Media card and then play them straight from there?

I guess I'm looking for a basic understanding of how the GP32 runs it's software and stuff.

Thanks in advance.

well, as long as you have an emulator, I would think that you just put files onto the SMC and it will work
everything else is similar to a computer

~Octavious

The only ones taht may give you problems is the megadrive roms as they have to be a specific format. There is a simple converter for it though

yeah i think if you use zardoz' genesisMu then you can only use .smd files (you usually find genesis roms on the inet in either .bin or .smd format). converting them's a piece of cake.

BUT - fGen is a superior emulator, and runs both types anyway. so don't bother, holmes.

if you're gonna use Xcade (for mame-y stuff) then you have to use the included "rommer" converter to convert your usual mame-type roms to work with that emulator. again, piece of cake, just read the docs that come with the download. the downside, it's tiny compatibility (but what's ther is cool anyway - mspac, pacman, dkjr, space invaders, etc)

excpet for those cases, so far as I know (and I know a little..) you can use your standard-variety roms, same as from your PC emus, on your GP32. which is pretty cool. Rlyeh's F-emus, and the new openSnes, even support zipped roms, which is better stil (esp. considering the small size available on an SMC, those things fill up fast ya know)

Buy it only if ur into retro gaming, seriously i bought a non-flu first, and later upgraded to a flu, and just recently sold my non-flu. It's fun for like 2 months, then u toss it next to ur GBA in a drawer. Take it easy. Think about it and research.
All your questions have been asked millions of times.

-Matt (Gp32 for Game addicts and Developers only, in my opinion)

I wouldn't say that. If u had a choice between it and GBA id say spend the extra money on the GP, if u already got a GBA, then think about either not buying the GP or selling the GBA. The only problem is if u donwload too much early on, don't get everything straight away, get a few good games, play them till uve completed them, just like a game u spent for odd quid on. and then wen u finished get a coupke more, coz u gotta remember Gamepark dont have as much support as Nintendo so games are few and far between.

Back