Convince Me To Get The Pandora

fox112

Still Fresh
I'm really in debate about this, especially with the pricetag I find it difficult to justify.

I feel like this product would have been cooler a couple years ago, but the only reason I see to get this is the homebrew gaming, and that is mostly lackluster.
I was really intrigued when I read about the Pandora doing a little console emulating, but then I looked into it and it sounds like it really falls short, when something coming out now should be able to do more than just gameboy color.

I just feel like the smartphone I am looking at getting does everything this does and more.
And I feel like since starting this post I may have made up my mind...

I'm not going to convince you or anyone else, as it seems like it would be a waste of my time. :p

You're the only one who can weigh up whether the machine can or cannot benefit you and your life.

Of course, you may not be entirely serious if you really think that the Pandora can't do more than the Game Boy Colour, may you? ;)

fox112 said:
when something coming out now should be able to do more than just gameboy color.

right. This comment will make you friends here. Really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gameboy Color?

;)

Regarding homebrew, there is some fantastic stuff out there but it really depends what you consider fantastic. If you expect all games to be at a PSP / DS level, then maybe the homebrew scene isn't for you - but this applies universally, not just to this console. Having said that, you might be surprised at how many beautiful, polished titles have been released in this scene. Now thanks to GINGE we have the whole GP2X catalogue available too. Happy days in these parts.

fox112 said:
I find it difficult to justify.
So don't get one. You don't have to.

fox112 said:
the only reason I see to get this is the homebrew gaming, and that is mostly lackluster.
There's only like 900 - 1000 Pandoras shipped so far, there is very little homebrew to even consider. I haven't even placed my order, or really started a game, but I sort of have a tech demo that might be a game someday.

And if you're not interested in the Wi-Fi or media abilities at all, then you definitely shouldn't get it. You'd be wasting most of your Pandora.

fox112 said:
something coming out now should be able to do more than just gameboy color.
I'm pretty sure it does GameBoy Advance and most PS1 games.

fox112 said:
I just feel like the smartphone I am looking at getting does everything this does and more.
No, it doesn't. Not at all. But it probably does everything you need, and it probably has a very expensive commercial that convinces you to buy one using computer graphics.

fox112 said:
I'm really in debate about this, especially with the pricetag I find it difficult to justify.

I feel like this product would have been cooler a couple years ago, but the only reason I see to get this is the homebrew gaming, and that is mostly lackluster.
I was really intrigued when I read about the Pandora doing a little console emulating, but then I looked into it and it sounds like it really falls short, when something coming out now should be able to do more than just gameboy color.

And I feel like since starting this post I may have made up my mind...

It does this:

• Full Desktop linux complete with browser, IM, and multitasking
  • Playstation and Nintendo 64 Emulation
  • The software is in a perpetual state of being refined, fixed, and tweaked.
  • it has an 800x480 widescreen display so things like VNC or (again) full desktops can happen
  • You can plug in USB devices for almost unlimited expandability
  • Why are you even signed up for these forums, if you have no interest in the pandora? Stop trolling and go home.

Also, saying "gameboy color" is sort of an understatement. When the ball really gets rolling on development for more software, we'll most likely see everything from the Gameboy to the commodore 64 to the Nintendo 64. This thing runs Quake 3. It'll run Sid Meier's pirates. It'll run point-and-click adventure games with the touchscreen. It'll play you music while you instant message with people and browse the internet. It'll pet your dog while it washes your car and does your laundry. I mean come on! Bluetooth, wifi, an entire super-squad of uberdevelopers releasing application after application, up to 10 hours of battery life depending on what you're using it for. I mean come on! You must be trolling.

You're definitely trolling.

Stop trolling.

Trollface_HD.jpg

if you need convincing, then it's probably not for you. also judging by the amount of research you have done to conclude it only does game boy colour this probably isn't right for you at all.

its because it has more ghz isnt it? yes it must be, cause everyone knows, more ghz = more profit = more women! FTW!!!1

DaMummy said:
its because it has more ghz isnt it? yes it must be, cause everyone knows, more ghz = more profit = more women! FTW!!!1

It's always those jiggahertz. But you know, the playstation 2 has less jiggahertz than the pandora, so it should be able to emulate PS2 with no problems at full speed!

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
DaMummy said:

It's always those jiggahertz. But you know, the playstation 2 has less jiggahertz than the pandora, so it should be able to emulate PS2 with no problems at full speed!

You dont know much about emulation requirements by the looks of it.

Enjoy your smartphone. If you want better battery life or controls buy an icontrolpad in the future.

The only thing I consider to be a close competitor to the pandora is my iPod Touch... But I'm having more fun gaming on the pandora than my iPod (because of REAL controls)

That and I'm having fun digging into the psx library of games... because I've never known about them (for instance Lunar is a completely aweseome fantastic game that plays great on the pandora)

That and I'm going to try to beat the mario rpg on the snes...

That and I just found out about zelda classic and all these cool homemade zelda games...

That and it plays movies on a bigger screen than the iPod ;)

It's just plain awesome!

Don't get it. Seriously. Leaves more for the people who know why they want it.

Edit: I think this is the bazillionth thread of that kind.

Wait a few months if you plan on buying it.

Received on in August and

Right about:
not much homebrew (mostly ports of games / small mini games)

Emulation

Most of the consoles people want to play are more optimized on the dingoo / wiz (SNES, GBA, Gameboy)

The two most people want:

N64 (Runs Slow /w sound, needs overclocking)

PSX (Lot of incompatible games (Silent Hill, Metal Gear, ex), inconsistent speed, needs overclocking, a lot of games only playable without sound)\

in addition some other problems

nubs sometimes don't work
one of the game buttons gets stuck when pushed
Unable to set date / time (time didn't change when in power save mode, 2-3 hours behind)
crashes with some music players, some not working ( exaile, deadbeef)
slow wifi / crashing browsers (with default + alternative)
doesn't charge when turned off
unresponsive touchscreen, stylus that scratches touch screen

some other optional things
many media websites I've tried crash (pandora radio, last.fm(+no option of offline scrobbling)
flash doesn't work
Pandora didn't fit in the official carrying case
SD cards (not a cheap china one) sometimes crash / unrecognized and needs restart

etc

At this point, I mostly use it as an music player, with occasional use of the SNES / Genesis Emulators

Received mine in June and (excepting the fact that I had issues with one nub that required an RMA) have used it daily since. Not come across any lack of software. All of my favourite consoles (especially the SNES) were emulated very well indeed since before mine even arrived. :) Plenty of new stuff for me to try out daily.

ZXC3CD said:
in addition some other problems

nubs sometimes don't work
one of the game buttons gets stuck when pushed
Unable to set date / time (time didn't change when in power save mode, 2-3 hours behind)
You might want to drop into the "I need help" section with these issues. I've heard of them all before, so I'd imagine a solution would not be far behind for at least some of them.

crashes with some music players, some not working ( exaile, deadbeef)
Whilst I've had issues getting Exaile to behave, I use Deadbeef every time I take my Pandora out with me. Which Deadbeef PND are you using?

slow wifi / crashing browsers (with default + alternative)
No slowness here. This one really needs further investigation. If you like Firefox, that's available in PND format and is perfectly stable.

More like the device needs to be on to manage charging, the same as all mobile telephones. :p Eventually the unit will be able to boot to a minimal charging mode, like most mobile telephones. The fact that it doesn't right now is because everything is still under constant development.

Ah, this old chestnut. You need to take the stylus, and "write" with it on a piece of paper. What you're describing is caused by excess paint (it looks like a seam, but it actually isn't one) that the factory put on the stylus. The touch-screen is fine when you've done this, or if you use, say, an extendable DS Lite stylus or anything else with a tip that's smooth.

flash doesn't work
I don't think anyone ever said it would right away. :p

As was stated several times on the forums before the case was shipped, you need to turn the case inside-out and back again a couple of times. It's due to the type of fabric used - if I'm not mistaken from the photographs I've seen, it's a weave, isn't it? It needs to be loosened up. :p

ZXC3CD said:
Not charging when turned off is a design decision that all (almost? maybe there are some that don't) devices that use lithium batteries uses. Cell phones and other devices turn on as well, you just may not think so because the only indication that they're on is some kind of charge light. This is because they usually have a microkernel that is used instead of the full kernel when it is plugged in from off. The Pandora can do the same, it just hasn't been done yet.
For the stylus, rub it against a piece of paper to smooth it out. The stylus was painted when it should have been, the scratches you see is the excess paint wearing off.
To get it to fit the carry case you apparently need to "flex" it a bit, turn it inside out a couple of times to break it in, like a new pair of jeans.
Everything else you're best going to the I Need Help forum and describing the problems in more detail there. Seriously, if you have problems, tell someone about them; odds are there's a fix, or a reason, or at least some encouraging words to be had: it's one of the things that makes this forum so great, I find.

edit: too slow :ph34r:

Back