Convince Me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdude51

Still Fresh
...to wait a few months instead of spending my birthday money on an iPod touch 3rd gen. With a PS1 and N64 emulator and the iControlPad, it's looking like a good option at this point. The money's burning a hole in my pocket. Convince me to wait for the Pandora instead, or else I'll probably just end up getting the iPod.

Just kidding. You could have it in 4 weeks if you ordered right now, I would ask through e-mail from where ever you order it from if there are any left in the first batch. I've been waiting over a yeah, and you have only made two posts, so I assume you just heard of it. Just look at the pics, specs, and read up on the forum and decide for your self.

The iPhone + iControlPad will be bulky and still pretty limited. Not to mention, the on screen keyboard is annoying. Having the hardware keyboard will be awesome.

Plus, Pandora will be able to do anything the iPhone/iPod Touch can. Including SMS and phone calls (oops, ignore that :))

This could end up being the funniest thread seen in ages :lol:

Oh could you tell us how much and when is iControl due?

Edit: Try the stickies and search, that's my way to convince you :p

Consequence9 said:
it's not gonna be a few months either, the lead time on parts is 28 weeks plus manufacturing
That's the second batch, not the first, just so nobody gets confused... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The iPhone has a N64 emulator? Where?

If I were you I'd buy an iPhone over the pandora. But if you can't/or don't need an iPhone get a Pandora.

Make sense?

How about handing the money over to me and be grateful that I have relieved you of hole-less pockets.

Why don't you convince yourself?

What do you want? A media player with capabilities for gaming (via control pad accesory)? Or a pure gaming console/UMPC?

Ipod Touch is great for what Apple design it for. But when you want anything else you run into several hurdles:
- Want a control pad? you need to jailbreak your device. Last I heard Ipod Touch 3rd Gen jailbreakable yet, or there was a problem when it has latest firmware pre-installed (locking you out of jailbreak, courtesy of Apple).
- Want long periods of gaming? Ipod has a rather limited battery (800 mAh, Pandora battery has 5x as much capacity)
- Want a UMPC? no hardware keyboard, on screen keyboard wont be the same

Those little things stack up into a major annoyance eventually.

To make your decision you should consider how much of what Apple offers match your own desires.

For me, the standard Ipod in its locked form didn't offer much more than a hole in my pocket (Apple store) and forcing an application I dislike (iTunes) on me, which doesn't work on Linux which I use.

Further, it's clearly the intention of Apple to keep complete control of what it's done with their device. I wanted a device I control (like a PC).

I'm not going to make the choice for you, although if I were in your shoes, I'd choose the Pandora in a shrew's heartbeat. Why?

*Open Development
One thing the iCult has failed with is open development. Instead, they have a closed garden approach to making stuff. So, if you would like to be able to play a game, and actually change it, Apple is no help to you.

*Free Stuff
As far as generally free applications, games, etc., you'll get more from the Pandora.

*Longer Shelf Life
With the iStuff, what was here one day is no longer cared about tomorrow. Open source products will always be cared about by a loving few, but when Apple no longer makes a few bucks off something (like the iPhone/Pod Touch) all those 'great apps' you paid for will be useless, since the services they were dependent on will be long since shut down.

*It's Cooler
Because you can emulate a whole load of older consoles on a Pandora (some of it you won't see on iStuff because it could jeopardize their... 'political correctness' with other companies)
And a PSP emulator is underway.

In short, you'll be the golden eagle among the turkeys.

Unfathomable Depths said:
I can't wait till the real newbs get here :)

i got a pandora and i cant find the app store? also i cant figure out how to send txts? help

Last edited by a moderator:
- Pandora will be out soon, but preorders on the first batch are likely to run out sometime and seem to be getting more difficult to obtain. Get one now, or wait till 2nd batch arrives sometime later... later

- Pandora can do emulation. So can iPhone/iPod, but screw them... they don't have BUTTONS. iControlPad? Um... Keyboard! Hello!

- Pandora is open without any kind of jailbreaking involved. No restrictions, aside from hardware limitations and your own skills and imaginaition! Woohoo!

- Play all the games you grew up with! Unless you grew up in the PS2/DC/GameCube/Xbox era, in which case you might have to settle with slow DC emulation for now, if at all. But hey! How about that PSX emulation, eh? nudge nudge

- Bragging rights! Who else in your town has one? Everyone and their mothers have an iPod or iPhone now. They're as common as flies (and in certain cases just as annoying. no offense, iOwners). Wanna be popular? Whip this baby out and watch people flock to you as they first wonder "what kind of DS is that??" Don't explain it to them... tell them it's a prototype and let them their mind figure it out. B)

- LINUX. You're carrying around a full-fledged desktop OS in your pocket. GIMP! OpenOffice.org! Other Linux-y things! Yay!

Ok, I tried. I'm being a bit silly with all of the above, but in all seriousness, why do you need convincing at all? Think of it this way... why do you want to buy it? Write everything you want down and compare the two. There are things an iPod can do and things Pandora can do. Pandora's better-equipped in the hardware department (not talking strictly CPU/GPU power here, btw), but iPhone has an accelerometer and the AppStore (a possible minus in my book).

Whatever you decide, decide quick. Pandora preorders aren't going to be around forever, and your indecision may end up being someone else's blessing. ;)

Screw it, I'm gonna use the answer I used to answer all my friend's Pandora-related questions.

"Yes. Buy one." :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back