Im Very Interested In The Pandora But Have A Few Questions!

SomeGuy99 said:
Sugar_Kane said:
Free games = better than buying games. What do I win?
Ah, but you could be wrong. When we pay for something, we often convince ourselves it is good, and persevere to the end to extract the value placed in it. So in effect, paying for a game makes it... better?
Not to mention that a lot of times the game you pay for really is better than the free alternative: an actual budget allows for more time to be invested in the project which can theoretically lead to superior quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
At least the Caanoo will have Flash out of the box.
No it won't. :(

And I'd say that mali is not power-mad at all. He's kept his humble nature and politeness, and becoming a mod doesn't seem to have changed him in the slightest. That was a bit of a strange thing to say, SomeGuy.

quote said:
WizardStan said:
At least the Caanoo will have Flash out of the box.
No it won't. :(
Really? I thought it was basically just a Wiz++, so everything the Wiz can do it can do better. Or are reports that the Wiz has Flash also misrepresented?

quote said:
And I'd say that mali is not power-mad at all. He's kept his humble nature and politeness, and becoming a mod doesn't seem to have changed him in the slightest. That was a bit of a strange thing to say, SomeGuy.

I didn't say he was a bad person (or even power mad in the real sense), I just said I get those weird vibes from him at the moment.

Mali is cool though yeah.

WizardStan said:
I thought it was basically just a Wiz++, so everything the Wiz can do it can do better. Or are reports that the Wiz has Flash also misrepresented?
No. The Wiz has flash, the Caanoo does not. We have yet to recieve a proper explanation from GPH as to why this is the case.

thanks guys for all the comments and perspectives! I read all of them and some are very good

probably the main reason Im leaning over the psp side is because I can get it soon and now

unlike the Pandora which I will probrably get in December, leaving me to sell my ipod touch now and wait till dec. no thanks

however, Im still in deep thought about this issue

Just like to add that Wizs flash support sucks, big time. There are only a handful of flash games that work (its using some old version of flash).

Lobo said:
Just like to add that Wizs flash support sucks, big time. There are only a handful of flash games that work (its using some old version of flash).
Flash 8, probably based on gnash. This is exactly the temporary solution many have suggested. It would be enough to get YouTube working, at least. Unless youtube's recent player updates now require a more up to date version of Flash.

truthfully I think I should wait untill the new ipod touch comes out in September.

Its supposed to have a camera, bigger memory, current flash. etc etc

obiwan22 said:
truthfully I think I should wait untill the new ipod touch comes out in September.

I loll'd. Did you read/listen to Steeve Jobs lately ?

sebt3 said:

Yeah, I hear maybe Windows Mobile Phone 7 will be running BSD kernel.

sebt3 said:
obiwan22 said:

I mean flash on the ipad already exists jailbreaking it.

I can't even understand the fact that your comparing the ipod touch/ipad to the Open pandora project. I've been following the project for a few months now, and the reason I'm so interested in it is because of it's open source nature and all the really cool things you can do with it. I have had an ipod touch for almost a year now, and I love it. But you can't compare the two, the ipod touch is so limited because of its OS. Very simple things such as customizing your home screen requires lots of work including jailbreaking it, installing winter board, and looking through hundreds of themes/apps until you find what you want.

And yes, the ipad has flash. So does the ipod touch, but as far as I know it's garbage. Flash videos rarely worked, and when they did they were very slow. If you want a very limited device with no real gaming controls(and crappy emulators imho), then go for the ipod. If you want an open source hand held with a full desktop environment, full keyboard, real controls, and a great community (Ive been lurking around the boards, and recognize many of you posting in this thread) then buy the Pandora.

This is my first post, so hello to everyone. I just have trouble understanding how he can compare such different devices and not knowing which one better suits him. Everything mentioned above might be relevant towards a psp, but I've never owned one so I don't really know.

RaderX said:
This is my first post, so hello to everyone.
Hello there, and welcome. :)

I just have trouble understanding how he can compare such different devices and not knowing which one better suits him. Everything mentioned above might be relevant towards a psp, but I've never owned one so I don't really know.
It's not difficult to understand, it's actually rather simple. Clearly all of the devices obiwan22 is looking at fulfill some or all of his needs well enough to warrant consideration for purchase. Going into whether something is "open" or into the politics behind things is probably overthinking it, really. ;)

RaderX said:
I'm so interested in it is because of it's open source nature and all the really cool things you can do with it.
You've got the main point of the pandora :)
RaderX said:
If you want a very limited device with no real gaming controls(and crappy emulators imho),
I mind you, most the Idevice emu come from this comunity. Zodttd have his acces card here.
Well most handheld emulator has been/will be written by someone from this community :D

RaderX said:
This is my first post, so hello to everyone.
Welcome on board, I hope you'll enjoy your ride :)

I guess your right Prometheus, maybe those are all just the reasons I want the pandora. haha

and sebt3 I realize most of those emulators come from this community. I probably should have explained better. It isn't the emulators I have a problem with, it's the controls. I find it very difficult to use virtual controls on the ipod touch. That goes for almost everything, not just the emulators.

Also I want to mention that if he does wait for the new ipod touch, he almost certainly will have to wait a very long time until a jailbreak is available.

Welcome aboard, RaderX.

I have to agree, the Pandora and the iInsertAppleGadgetHere are about each others opposite from the perspective of homebrew software & user customization. However, not all people look at gadgets like that. Some just want to play music, games, video and couldn't care less about freedom, openness etc.

What I gather from obiwan22 so far is that he hacks about every gadget he has gotten so far in order to run unauthorized software (such as e.g. homebrew). This is simply not possible with the Pandora, since there is absolutely nothing to hack. For me, this is a major benefit. I'm sick and tired of console makers deciding what I can and cannot do with my own gadget / computer.

The price we pay for this? A lack of current-gen commercial games. Hopefully homebrew will cover some ground here, but it will never match the DS / PSP in quantity.

Exophase said:
Yeah, I hear maybe Windows Mobile Phone 7 will be running BSD kernel.
The last Microsoft phone to run a BSD kernel was the recently-discontinued Sidekick LX.

Neko said:
The last Microsoft phone to run a BSD kernel was the recently-discontinued Sidekick LX.

I was joking, although in context your comment is pretty funny too.

Back