I Want A Pandora. Should I Get One?

Nixot

Still Fresh
Hey guys,

just a few questions about the pandora...

1. What does the touchscreen feel like? Is it hard to press things on it or does it feel like a DS / Wiz screen?
  2. Where is the stylus located?
  3. What does the keyboard feel like?
  4. Do the analogue nubs press in?
  5. When will they start shipping?

If you want one you should get one.

Your question have been answered multiple times.

1. Don't have one yet, but it appears to be like the DS/Wiz.
2. Horizontally along the bottom edge of the device, ejects to right.
3. Don't have one yet, but it appears to be unlike anything I've ever used before. Everyone says it's pretty comfortable once you get used to it. I haven't heard any real complaints about it yet.
4. No, they do not click in like the Dual Shock's analog sticks.
5. They are already shipping the first 4000, preorders for the 2nd batch will/should begin shortly, and will start shipping late September. If you check Ebay in the coming days you might see a few of the first 4000 pop up there.

Just wanted to drop in and answer the first of your questions, since mindlord already covered the rest. :p

Nixot said:
What does the touchscreen feel like? Is it hard to press things on it or does it feel like a DS / Wiz screen?
It's not like the DS' screen (I'm afraid I can't comment on the Wiz, sorry). It's got more of a "rough" feeling to it, and has a matte look instead of a shiny one. It doesn't seem to be hard to press things on, though. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
What, matted like a TFT screen? Also, how well does Quake 2 run? Like, 20-30 FPS or more (or less)?

Nixot said:
What, matted like a TFT screen? Also, how well does Quake 2 run? Like, 20-30 FPS or more (or less)?

Very well. I'd say full speed, so... 60fps?

It's not very bright though, and quite hard to see (the graphics are dark). I tried messing with the brightness in game but it doesn't go high enough.

Oh and the graphics are proper 3D accelerated! And once you lower the mouse speed in-game, the nubs are amazing to control with.

But the key point is that the Pandoras from the first batch are sold out. If you want one you'll have to wait until the second batch.

I clocked my Pandora at 850 and the framerate in Quake2 was simply insane. No idea the figure, but maybe 120fps?

SomeGuy99 said:
I clocked my Pandora at 850 and the framerate in Quake2 was simply insane. No idea the figure, but maybe 120fps?

nice one!

fearofshorts said:
But the key point is that the Pandoras from the first batch are sold out. If you want one you'll have to wait until the second batch.

When's the second batch?

SomeGuy99 said:
Very well. I'd say full speed, so... 60fps?

It's not very bright though, and quite hard to see (the graphics are dark). I tried messing with the brightness in game but it doesn't go high enough.

Oh and the graphics are proper 3D accelerated! And once you lower the mouse speed in-game, the nubs are amazing to control with.

Hmm, but Quake 2 is supposed to be dark, am I right?

Also, can you control Quake 2 like you can in modern fps's (using the left nub to move and strafe, and the right to turn and look)?

Nixot said:
Hmm, but Quake 2 is supposed to be dark, am I right?

Also, can you control Quake 2 like you can in Call of Duty (using the left nub to move and strafe, and the right to turn and look)?

It looks darker than when I've played it before. It's gonna need some tweaking further.

And yes, that's exactly how you control it! You need to set the Quake2 mouse speed lower though, and it's too quick on the default setting. When overclocked, it was going too quickly again!

RE: Second batch, no one knows. The best thing to do is email openpandorasales@gmail.com so that you will be notified when preorders open up again.

fuji99 said:
RE: Second batch, no one knows. The best thing to do is email openpandorasales@gmail.com so that you will be notified when preorders open up again.

cool, I'll do that now

Back