Cool project. Pyra used as cell phone?

tropicalstream

Still Fresh
How would one make phone calls? Is the sim GSM? Or only used for data?

This seems like exactly what I'm looking for if I can ditch my cell phone.

Yes, it should work, as the voice pins of the GSM chip are connected. However software like a dialer may not be available from day one.

Writing a UI to send AT commands I would expect to be pretty easy, one of the things I'm unsure how would work is directing data from the mic to the modem to the speakers (or headset)

I'm unsure how would work is directing data from the mic to the modem to the speakers (or headset)
It should be loaded as any other audio device with a "microphone" and a "speaker", in which case it'd be as simple as reading raw audio from the physical microphone device and pushing it directly to the speaker of the GSM chip (and vice versa). With pulseaudio this is a trivial redirect.

but i'm the linux hipster that won't have pulse audio installed...
Then you'll have to do it the old fashioned way with arecord/aplay and file pipes. Or write your own app (or hope one gets written) that opens the two audio devices and pipes between them automatically.
Rejecting pulseaudio makes bluetooth more difficult though, just be aware.

i'm being flippant, though i've heard a few random people mention not wanting to go with pulseaudio... i will use it...

I held out from using pulseaudio after Debian introduced it as default back around Debian Squeeze time. Back then it was flakey, although perhaps not as flakey as netmanager was. Nowadays, netmanager on my Pandora is pretty relaible (esp. when using a USB wifi adapter) and pulseaudio has not even given me pause to investigate how to nix it on my Arch machines. There are differing arguments about using these software components, but ones about stability and reliability tend to dissipate over time and others are often nebulous at best.

It should be loaded as any other audio device with a "microphone" and a "speaker", in which case it'd be as simple as reading raw audio from the physical microphone device and pushing it directly to the speaker of the GSM chip (and vice versa). With pulseaudio this is a trivial redirect.
Sounds good. Thanks

Back