Core 2 Duo

Compatibility my friend. Plus curretly there isn't any bonus to 64 bit precision. lol. uless you must go over 2^31 + 2^31 + 2^30 ... 2^0

I guess that could be expessed as a geometric sequence?

edit: Or would it be (2^31)!

There is bonus to having double the integer and XMM registers though...

Not to mention emulating 64bit platforms. At least whenever we start seeing dynarecs for that (will happen soon for PCSX2, won't it?)

purple_goat said:
would XP be faster for me in 64bit?
Don't bother with 64-bit XP, it's a waste of time. Everything you'll run will be 32-bit anyway, since Windows is severely lacking in 64-bit apps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos said:
purple_goat said:
would XP be faster for me in 64bit?
Don't bother with 64-bit XP, it's a waste of time. Everything you'll run will be 32-bit anyway, since Windows is severely lacking in 64-bit apps.

I'm running Windows XP x64. Although you are right about the 32-bit software, there is no harm in using x64 anyway. At least I am set up for 64-bit software when I need it. I use a 64-bit version of Cakewalk SONAR 6. However, I was running 64-bit Gentoo and I think that was certainly a mistake. It is a bit more tedious to run 32-bit software under a 64-bit install of linux.

The only 32-bit software I've had a problem with under 64-bit Gentoo is VMWare, but it's more of an ALSA/OSS issue (I don't get any sound.) Pretty much everything else I've tried runs fine. Gentoo handles the 32/64 mix better than some other distros that try to have a strictly 64-bit environment, like Debian and it's derivatives. It's like pulling teeth trying to get 32-bit stuff to run there. I don't know if that's been fixed in Ubuntu or not yet, but I know they were talking about it.

64-bit Linux has problems with codecs and binary-only applications such as Flash Player. To get around it, you have to chroot, which is quite complicated.

nickspoon said:
64-bit Linux has problems with codecs and binary-only applications such as Flash Player. To get around it, you have to chroot, which is quite complicated.
No, only pure 64-bit distros have to do that. Gentoo splits 32- and 64-bit libs up so you can use both without chrooting. I think SuSE might, too, but I'm not sure, I'm just going on hearsay there. I know some people consider such systems "messy", but hey, it works.

sam fisher said:
I think all core duos are 64 bit, I know all the pentium D's were. Would be a bit weird to step backwards, heh.
The Core 1 Duos are 32-bit. Core 2 Duos are 64-bit.

It wasn't a step backwards so much as a sideways step. The Core chips are based on the Pentium M architecture which continued to be developed while the Pentium 4 was in production.

purple_goat said:
any other opinions?
I personally love 64 bit linux, (gentoo amd64, e17), don't think I've enjoyed any os/platform/desktop combination anywhere near this much, like, ever. Think you'd be a fool to shuck out all that money then go and cripple it. You get used to living flashless, the browser and whole web experience is actually greatly improved without it but you can always run 32 bit apps as firefox-bin or mplayer-bin and see flash, wmv etc, have both 32 and 64 bit apps and libraries at once if that's what you want, mix and match seamlessly is not a problem.

Ravnos said:
nickspoon said:
No, only pure 64-bit distros have to do that. Gentoo splits 32- and 64-bit libs up so you can use both without chrooting. I think SuSE might, too, but I'm not sure, I'm just going on hearsay there. I know some people consider such systems "messy", but hey, it works.

Tis true, they do work great and gentoo shields you from the mess rather magnificently.

purple_goat said:
so then stick with 32 bit windows, and linux?

I wonder what could be causing my problems with installing linux then? :(
I couldn't see anywhere stating what your problems were installing Linux, unless they're in another thread.

32-bit Linux in general is going to be better for you if it's your first time with Linux. Some distros do 64-bit very well, but the extra tweaking required to get Flash, Wine, etc. going will probably be very discouraging for a new user.

64-bit Ubuntu for example is a bit faster than the 32-bit version, but I don't like how it integrates 32-bit apps into it. Getting 32-bit Firefox going should be much easier than it is. That said, Ubuntu does come with 32-bit support libraries, so you can generally install everything you need, and if you can carefully follow instructions you can get most stuff working fine under the 64-bit version.

On a more technical level, cross-compiling apps for ia32 under GCC 3 is apparently impossible in Ubuntu 64-bit, which prevents me from using it (without doing a chroot.) I've heard SUSE is much better in this respect.

If you are having some specific problem trying to install a distro, particularly Ubuntu, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

Back