Core 2 Duo

Larch said:
purple_goat said:
so then stick with 32 bit windows, and linux?

I wonder what could be causing my problems with installing linux then? :(
I couldn't see anywhere stating what your problems were installing Linux, unless they're in another thread.

32-bit Linux in general is going to be better for you if it's your first time with Linux. Some distros do 64-bit very well, but the extra tweaking required to get Flash, Wine, etc. going will probably be very discouraging for a new user.

64-bit Ubuntu for example is a bit faster than the 32-bit version, but I don't like how it integrates 32-bit apps into it. Getting 32-bit Firefox going should be much easier than it is. That said, Ubuntu does come with 32-bit support libraries, so you can generally install everything you need, and if you can carefully follow instructions you can get most stuff working fine under the 64-bit version.

On a more technical level, cross-compiling apps for ia32 under GCC 3 is apparently impossible in Ubuntu 64-bit, which prevents me from using it (without doing a chroot.) I've heard SUSE is much better in this respect.

If you are having some specific problem trying to install a distro, particularly Ubuntu, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

cool, I have been trying to install feisty fawn and get an I/O error!
what can cause this? how can I fix it? does it have to do about how my drive is partitioned?
(I have a partition that is NTFS, 100gb)
I have a dvd drive and a hard drive, both on separate [IDE] cables and set on master..

HELP!? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
A Core2 CPU above below 2500 is 32 bit. Above 3000, definitely 64 bit. And gentoo amd64 rocks on it!

sam fisher said:
Compatibility my friend. Plus curretly there isn't any bonus to 64 bit precision. lol. uless you must go over 2^31 + 2^31 + 2^30 ... 2^0

I guess that could be expessed as a geometric sequence?

edit: Or would it be (2^31)!
No I believe that would be 2^31 * ((2^31)-1) * ((2^31)-2)...

I don't know of any simpler way to express your original problem.

purple_goat said:
At what point in the install are you getting an I/O error?

If you're using the normal live CD, if it manages to boot to a desktop that means all your hardware is being handled OK. If it's failing before you get to the desktop it may be a hardware detection issue. The live CD doesn't really care about your hard drive setup, it should boot irrespective of what you have on there as it doesn't use it until you try to install something.

Before worrying about that though, you may want to double check the CD you've got was burnt correctly too. It could simply be an error while Linux is trying to load the data off the CD. It's also possible (although rare in my experience) that the ISO was corrupted somehow while you downloaded it.

If you have any more specific information, such as exactly what it says at I/O error, maybe any other messages you see, this will help too.

I'm not fully Intel aware, but anything below 4000 (AFAIK there's nothing between 3000 and 4000 right now) isn't a Core 2 chip, it's a Core 1 and Core 1's are 32-bit whether single core or dual core. As far as I know Intel also don't sell a Core 2 chip without at least two cores.

nemt said:
sam fisher said:
Compatibility my friend. Plus curretly there isn't any bonus to 64 bit precision. lol. uless you must go over 2^31 + 2^31 + 2^30 ... 2^0

I guess that could be expessed as a geometric sequence?

No, as each bit in the byte represents a power of two. Not a number. There are 32 powers of two represented by a 32bit number with all bits set to 1.

sam fisher said:
nemt said:
sam fisher said:

No, as each bit in the byte represents a power of two. Not a number. There are 32 powers of two represented by a 32bit number with all bits set to 1.

What nemt means is that (2^31)! would be 2^31 * (2^31)-1 * (2^31)-2 ... * 1.

Back