Could this mean home VR finally?

I'm loving this 1st person film idea

We've already got them though, they're called videogames! Scripted titles with a predefined narrative like Half Life through to Call of Duty and the like all function as 1st person films, albeit without the VR headset - although that's absent only because they can't make a device that we can all afford. Yet.

I think the way it will eventually happen is that when you complete a game, you save a complete replay of your route through it, or specific moments like car chases or battles - as an independent 3D 'VR film' that others can experience without needing to actually own the game. Eventually people will be able to collaborate online and 'act' in their own film, refine it and render a finished product.

Still think it won't be helmets that win the race ultimately though ;)

I think that would probably be better than machinima...

But I agree with you about those scripted titles, but I've tried watching the Halo Reach cutscenes together, and while they're cinematic... It kind of feels written for a different medium. Namely, video games, haha.

I still like where this is going, maybe we'll see video game-movie hybrids? That'd be cool... YES and they'd involve a treadmill.. and full body tracking..

And VR somehow.

IDK, mind fuzzy today.

A hands-on preview of the Sony headset (HMZ-T1):

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/1191759

Warning: you may dribble while reading.

Sony has optimized the integrated lenses to give users a wide 45-degree view, eliminating much of the borders surrounding the integrated OLED displays. Within the context of Gran Turismo 5, instead of looking at what appears to be a tiny screen at the end of the visor, the HMZ-T1 gives players a much larger, almost wrap-around view of the race track or in-car perspective

Want level just increased.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who read CVG, Meanmachines etc. as a child will know that the early 90s were all about VR and how it would be the next big thing.

Teaser screen shots, Atari's aborted attempt, the Amiga VR arcade machines, we were so sure it was coming!

I've been bloody waiting for 20 years.

Anyone who read CVG, Meanmachines etc. as a child will know that the early 90s were all about VR and how it would be the next big thing.

Teaser screen shots, Atari's aborted attempt, the Amiga VR arcade machines, we were so sure it was coming!

I've been bloody waiting for 20 years.

Yeah seemed like it was just around the corner, then nothing.

This has awesomeness written all over it. :)

I was born in the 90's but I was still bitten by the VR craze in the early 00's, I still have one somewhere...

Agreed. I have been waiting ever since I read about two synched (I think) Atari ST's connected to a pair of goggles with motion sensors attached. VR man, it's the future.

If these things aren't over a grand - I'm extremely tempted but the question is...does it run linux?

The recently released Vuzix Wrap1200 seems pretty cool too (and is $100 cheaper than the hmz). The Wrap1200VR model is due out soon and has 6 degree of freedom head tracking (the sony hmz won't respond to movements of your head).

While the 1200VR has lower resolution (852 x 480) and lower fov (35 instead of 45), it has the positive that it looks more like sunglasses than a helmet (so you won't get as many strange looks when using them in public).

imagewrapvr1200.jpg

The 1200VR has a battery pack available and can connect to usb2 devices, while the hmz is hdmi only and uses a mains powered control box.

So it should be pretty easy to hook the 1200VR up to a pandora for some 3d vr gaming or movie watching while travelling.

Also cool, the Vuzix 920AR are a lower spec older model, but they have dual cameras (one on each lens) for augmented reality.

(I want the HMZ for the image quality and fov, but the 1200vr are good for portable use)

Very nice. Even the 852x480 resolution doesn't seem so bad. It's a pity that it seems to be only VGA connection though, I'd love to pair these with a Pandora TV out cable.

I don't think you'd be able to pump a suitable 3D signal from the Pandora for gaming - maybe for stills with some luck. The Vuzix are LCD too, the Sony's OLED panels are really something new in a head mounted display - and the Sony has 5.1 surround audio. Gaming nirvana beckons.

The Sony hits the market at a really good time (technologically) because there are many 3D still and video capable HD Camera/Camcorders coming out that don't have any convenient 'reference quality' portable 3D viewer - you need to connect to a HD 3D Tv, and use shutter glasses - if you had the Sony headset it would be an ideal way of monitoring shooting / editing 3D video and stills. I get palpitations just thinking about editing photos IN 3D in photoshop. A whole new class of tools will emerge.

I would also very much like to see the Sony headset coupled with a wireless teeny 3D camera that could be mounted on Scalextric (slot car racing) cars or in train sets, radio controlled aircraft, bottle rockets or just at the end of long sticks.

I'm not sure you could get 3d effect with a composite signal. That is what the TV out cable uses.

The 1200 is composite and component (and vga and dvi via optional adapter), the 1200VR is vga and dvi (plus composite and component via an optional adapter).

Hmm, seems the usb2 is just for power when running vga.

The earlier 920 series was iphone/ipad/ipod compatible via composite, the 1200 can do it with component or composite, so it can be done (although might look crap).

They are also very configurable, there's focus and interpupillary distance controls per eye, and you can change the earphones. You can even angle the screens up and down within the headset.

Note, not a vuzix shill, I've just been waiting for the 1200 series to go on sale. :)

I've contemplated a headset every now and then. Would be kind of cool to lay in bed and watch movies or something. I mean I already do that with my tablet but I have to prop it up against a pillow or something and I'm all about optimizing how lazy I can be.

I will not be able to die in peace until BCI's (brain-computer interfaces) are capable of immersing us in a world that is just as real as our own-- and just as fake, at the same time.

Imagine actually waterbending, like in Avatar: The Last Airbender. Okay, I know I'm a nerd for saying that, but seriously it is a dream of mine... ever since I first saw the show.

Back