Could this mean home VR finally?

Would be kind of cool to lay in bed and watch movies or something. I mean I already do that with my tablet but I have to prop it up against a pillow or something and I'm all about optimizing how lazy I can be.

What you really need is a Pico Projector mounted on the headboard or side table, pointing at the ceiling. Much better than potentially falling asleep on an expensive toy.

I will not be able to die in peace until BCI's (brain-computer interfaces) are capable of immersing us in a world that is just as real as our own-- and just as fake, at the same time.

Imagine actually waterbending, like in Avatar: The Last Airbender. Okay, I know I'm a nerd for saying that, but seriously it is a dream of mine... ever since I first saw the show.
YES YES YES.

THIS.

It'd be like the Matrix! Imagine watching the mass-media panicking :D !

It's kind of funny, whenever people tell me they have a hard time adjusting to computers, I tell them I'll be confused by how quickly my kids will adjust by having implanted computers in their brains. Of course, they'll have been put in at birth, so :lol:

"Dad, stop Googling! Just think about what you want."

But just imagine how annoying pop up ads are going to be in a direct brain interface, and imagine the evil viruses could do (think of the scene in the movie Brainstorm when the kid accidentally hooks his mind into the military psychological torture program).

I will not be able to die in peace until BCI's (brain-computer interfaces) are capable of immersing us in a world that is just as real as our own-- and just as fake, at the same time.

Imagine actually waterbending, like in Avatar: The Last Airbender. Okay, I know I'm a nerd for saying that, but seriously it is a dream of mine... ever since I first saw the show.
YES YES YES.

THIS.

It'd be like the Matrix! Imagine watching the mass-media panicking :D !

It's kind of funny, whenever people tell me they have a hard time adjusting to computers, I tell them I'll be confused by how quickly my kids will adjust by having implanted computers in their brains. Of course, they'll have been put in at birth, so :lol:

"Dad, stop Googling! Just think about what you want."
Am I the only one who thinks that something like this is a REALLY bad idea?

There are already plenty of people who unfortunately can't differentiate fantasy from reality as it is - I can easily imagine something like this being widespread only being dangerous in that regard...

That's why digital environments should be like Tron. Lines of light everywhere makes it a lot harder to mistake fantasy for reality.

^ you have obviously never been unknowingly dosed with a very high dose of LSD.

As for games, I think any driving game would work really well due to you already sitting - it would be when those tacky steering wheels and

pedals actually added a great deal to the experience, especially if they lined up exactly with the in game ones.

I'd probably pay top price to have a set up like that, it really would be a new video game experience - a game like Stunt Car Racer in VR would be amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ It would be amazing for flight games, too.

I say this, currently being thoroughly addicted to Star Fox 64 3D. The 3D makes a massive difference and lets your natural instincts just do what they're supposed to do, so I can see that a VR setup for a game like that would be the next logical step.

Last edited by a moderator:
A virtual reality racing game would be FANTASTIC, even if the graphics were on a Virtua Racing level. Imagine a remake of Daytona USA in VR?

I'll check that out tomorrow, thanks!

Also, when we can replicate the Grid from Tron: Legacy in full detail, I will consider virtual reality to be complete.

^This.

That could be kind of scary, come think of it, the whole brain interface thing... Haha, can you imagine? It'd be like Inception IRL...

"Never Google Mindview a place near where you live..."

Back