COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
That cannot be the right explanation because it fails to account for the many months between covid-19 entering other places and the first mRNA injections coming out.
Well, the claim that half of rhe population of Wuhan died during those few months is a bit of a strawman. Later reasearch says that 13400 people dies that wouldn't have naturally died from other causes which in a city of some 11e6 people is three orders of magnitude less, and so about an eighth of a percent. No idea why we saw dead bodies in the streets, perhaps the lockdown imposed stopped undertakers doing their job?

The US is now up to 200 monkeypox cases.

Damn, I posted about the second US case just over a month ago.

My twin sister, the one that lives with my dad, just tested positive for COVID last night.

Do I let my dad come over for dinner tonight, yea or nay?

My twin sister, the one that lives with my dad, just tested positive for COVID last night.

Do I let my dad come over for dinner tonight, yea or nay?
I'd leave it for another week, but I'm not you. I guess most people wouldn't care nowadays but for me catching COVID is still abetting the enemy.

Well, I just had dinner with my dad and stepmom at O’Charley’s. I’ll let you know if I come down with COVID in a few days. They didn’t seem to be coughing too much.

The CDC says my county is back to a low level of community transmission. So I guess I’m safe. Darn if the rest of the map isn’t getting oranger though.

The CDC isn’t updating its COVID numbers Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, because of America Day on Monday. Happy America Day, everyone.

Reactions: rSl
I had night sweats last night. Didn’t they used to say that was an early symptom of Omicron? At least my throat’s not sore.

BA.5 now makes up over half of US COVID cases by itself. BA.4 isn’t gaining as quickly, and may be pushed aside by BA.5 in a month or so.

May I reiterate my protest against naming COVID variants whatever one feels like ? Centaurus ? Come on, people! BA.2.75 is comparatively gorgeous as a name.

Last edited:
Centaurus ?
Is that a new greek letter? Or did we reach Zeta already and they had to jump to other names? I vote for naming it "Cough"-trina.
Although there is beauty when naming one BA3.1415.

The attention that the disease has gathered corresponds specifically to mutations in spike proteins, located in the membrane of viral units, specifically the G446S and R493Q that would allow the variant to evade several antibodies and therefore be more resistant to the immunity achieved so far in the population. This means that both vaccinated people and those who have already had the disease would be more likely to be infected.

Could have named it after big tax evaders... Wesley Snipes variant... for example.

Instead, we got a now star: Omicron Centauri...

Last edited:
Just read an article about Centaurus. I never knew what would kill us all, but I did always suspect it would have a silly name. I hear Russia plans to load Centaurus into Satan II missiles and fire them at the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back