COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda disappointed actually. My temp was climbing for a while, but then it went back down. Also, I smelled my hand soap a while ago.

I mean, it's kinda unreasonable to expect God to come for me early. He only does that for good people. It was some comedian that pointed this out, that pricks live forever.

Cool, and the blood clot treatment will trigger another reaction that will need another treatment and so on.
Big pharma did the same thing with their anti-cholesterol poison.

Cool, and the blood clot treatment will trigger another reaction that will need another treatment and so on.
Big pharma did the same thing with their anti-cholesterol poison.
Which one? I'm on both a statin and a fibrate. Would help to know which is poison.

Thanks. It's paywalled, though. Telepolis (in German) isn't but I'm not sure it's the same story, since WSJ says Norwegian and German researchers and Telepolis says German and Austrian. Thrombocytes are platelets, aren't they ? I thought the affected people had lower count of platelets ? I may be mixing cases here... Congratulations to the researchs, now what's missing is why the vaccine wrongly activates the platelets... And why so seldom... Let's give them some time...

Scientists Say They Found Cause of Rare Blood Clotting Linked to AstraZeneca Vaccine

German, Norwegian researchers say rare autoimmune reaction is behind several cases of brain blood clotting, and suggest a possible treatment for it​

Germany, France and Italy resumed vaccination with AstraZeneca’s shot on Friday, with an added warning that it could be linked to blood clotting.​

PHOTO: VIRGINIA MAYO/ASSOCIATED PRESS
By
Bojan Pancevski
Updated March 19, 2021 4:02 pm ET

BERLIN—Scientists in Europe said they had identified a mechanism that could lead theAstraZeneca PLC vaccine to cause potentially deadly blood clots in rare instances as well as a possible treatment for it.

Two teams of medical researchers in Norway and Germany have independently found that the vaccine could trigger an autoimmune reaction causing blood to clot in the brain, which would offer an explanation for isolated incidents across Europe in recent weeks.

Several European countries briefly halted their rollouts of the vaccine this week after more than 30 recipients were diagnosed with the condition known as cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, or CVST. Most of the people affected were women under the age of 55.

The issue affected a tiny portion of those who had received the shot, however, and after investigating, the European drugs regulator ruled that the benefits outweighed the potential risks of the vaccine, and recommended vaccinations resume.

Some countries, such as Germany, France and Italy, resumed vaccinations with AstraZeneca’s shot on Friday, with an added warning that it could be linked to blood clotting. The French healthcare authority, which recorded three cases of CVST connected to the vaccine, advised the government on Friday to only administer the shot to people older than 55.

Others, including Norway, Sweden and Denmark, said they needed more research before restarting their rollouts. Norway registered three cases of CVST, one of them fatal. The country vaccinated around 120,000 people with the shot. Finland suspended the use of AstraZeneca on Friday, after recording two cases of what the authorities called unusual blood clotting.

Pål André Holme, a professor of hematology and chief physician of the Oslo University Hospital who headed an investigation into the Norwegian cases, said his team had identified an antibody created by the vaccine that was triggering the adverse reaction.

Europe's top drug regulator endorsed AstraZeneca's vaccine after it was suspended in several countries over blood-clot concerns. WSJ explains what's at stake for a shot that's been widely used around the world and may soon be considered for emergency use in the U.S. Photo: Mykola Tys/SOPA Images
“Nothing but the vaccine can explain why these individuals had this immune response,” Prof. Holme said.

Norway’s health authority cited the findings when announcing that it wouldn’t resume the vaccination.

A team of German researchers around Andreas Greinacher, professor of transfusion medicine at the Greifswald University Clinic, said Friday they had independently come to the same conclusion as Prof. Holme.
In Germany, 13 cases of CVST were detected among around 1.6 million people who received the AstraZeneca vaccine. Twelve patients were women and three died.
The German researchers, who coordinated with colleagues in Austria, Ireland and Britain, said in a statement that patients who show symptoms four days after vaccination, such as headaches, dizziness or impaired vision, could be quickly diagnosed with a blood test. Prof. Greinacher said the news meant that people shouldn’t fear the vaccine.
“Very, very few people will develop this complication,” Prof. Greinacher said in a press conference Friday. “But if it happens, we now know how to treat the patients.”

Pål André Holme’s team at Oslo University Hospital identified an antibody created by the AstraZeneca vaccine that was triggering the adverse reaction.​

PHOTO: TERJE PEDERSEN/ASSOCIATED PRESS
He said that, after a swift diagnosis, the condition could be treated in any midsize hospital.

The German government said it was examining the findings, but stuck to its decision to resume use of the AstraZeneca vaccine.

AstraZeneca declined to comment, pointing to a statement from Thursday in which it said that an analysis of tens of millions of its vaccination records didn’t show that these events occurred any more frequently than would be expected in the general population.
Regulators in Germany, Austria and the Netherlands, where vaccinations using the AstraZeneca vaccine have either resumed or weren’t suspended this week, didn’t comment immediately. Britain’s regulator, the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, said it was aware of the findings in Germany and Norway and was collaborating with U.K. experts to establish whether similar findings could be made in the U.K.
“Given the extremely rare rate of occurrence of these CSVT events among the 11 million people vaccinated, and as a link to the vaccine is unproven, the benefits of the vaccine in preventing Covid-19, with its associated risk of hospitalization and death, continue to outweigh the risks of potential side effects,” a spokeswoman for the agency said.
As a precautionary measure, the agency advises anyone with persistent headaches, or bruising beyond the site of vaccination after a few days, to seek medical attention.
The European Medicines Agency, or EMA, which regulates medicines for most European countries, said that it had assessed the cases from Germany and Norway and discussed them with the relevant national authorities.
A spokeswoman for EMA said that the vaccine may be associated with very rare cases of blood clots, including CVST, but that the benefits of the vaccine outweigh that risk.
“A causal link with the vaccine is not proven, but is possible and deserves further analysis,” the spokeswoman said in a statement.
Neither the German nor the Norwegian findings were published or peer reviewed. Prof. Greinacher said he would submit his findings for publication to the British medical journal The Lancet in the coming days.
The German Society for Thrombosis and Hemostasis Research reviewed Prof. Greinacher’s work and issued a statement Friday advising physicians how to diagnose and treat the condition should it arise in vaccine recipients.
Dr. Robert Klamroth, deputy chairman of the Society for Thrombosis and Hemostasis Research, said the rare autoimmune reaction occurred more frequently in Germany because the country initially only authorized the vaccine for people younger than 64. Britain, which had fewer incidents but vaccinated many more people, was predominantly giving the shot to older recipients.
Once diagnosed, the condition should be treated with blood thinning medication and immunoglobulin, which targets the antibody that causes the problem. “We believe the most likely hypothesis is that this particular vaccine is causing a rare autoimmune reaction that triggers antibodies, which then interact with the platelets, but we don’t know why this is happening,” Dr. Klamroth said.

On Friday, European leaders tried to alleviate potential concerns about the vaccine by lining up for the shot. The prime ministers of Britain and France, Boris Johnson and Jean Castex, were scheduled to receive the vaccine on Friday.

“I would take the AstraZeneca vaccine,” German Chancellor Angela Merkel told reporters Friday. Ms. Merkel said she would wait until her turn came under Germany’s prioritization schedule for vaccination.

Write to Bojan Pancevski at bojan.pancevski@wsj.com
Copyright ©2020 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8
Appeared in the March 20, 2021, print edition as 'Scientists Say They Found Cause of Rare Clotting Cases.'

Post automatically merged:

Thanks. It's paywalled, though. Telepolis (in German) isn't but I'm not sure it's the same story, since WSJ says Norwegian and German researchers and Telepolis says German and Austrian. Thrombocytes are platelets, aren't they ? I thought the affected people had lower count of platelets ? I may be mixing cases here... Congratulations to the researchs, now what's missing is why the vaccine wrongly activates the platelets... And why so seldom... Let's give them some time...
Just tried to provide the wording of the article behind a spoiler but not sure if it worked because all I see is a load of blurry lines, rather than the usual “Spoiler” button

Thanks a lot.
It's odd css.php:7
CSS:
.bbCodeInlineSpoiler {

background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0);
    color: rgba(0,0,0,                                    0                                            );
    text-shadow: #8c8c8c 0 0 14px;
    cursor: pointer;

}

It's enough to change that 0 to 1. (color alpha, i.e. text opacity), Not sure why you'd want text-shadow either.

Pål André Holme, [Oslo], said his team had identified an antibody created by the vaccine that was triggering the adverse reaction.

A team [...] around Andreas Greinacher [Greifswald], said Friday they had independently come to the same conclusion as Prof. Holme.
But:
Warum die Impfung bei manchen Patienten diese Fehlreaktion über den Fcγ-Rezeptor IIa ohne Verletzung auslöst, ist noch unklar.
So I'm not sure how well understood the mechanism is. But they say they improved diagnosis and treatment, so that helps.

Which one? I'm on both a statin and a fibrate. Would help to know which is poison.
The one that gives you red clusters all over the skin. I know two people who had that. They had to take additional cures otherwise they were on the highway to the cemetary.
Then one day a new doctor urged them to stop the anti-cholesterol treatment, saying them that it was useless and dangerous. Suddenly, all their troubles went away.

I feel kinda sorry for President Biden. The fact that COVID-19 dipped this low this quickly means it'll be harder to divert blame for the next wave. I mean, he can blame Republican vaccine hesitancy on Trump, but what about among his own constituents?

It's weird, they have polls saying 90% of Democrats want the vaccine, but in this area, I wouldn't even put it at half.

I mean, let's take a woman I talked to that we'll call "Millette", for example. She said she got the vaccine for her job, but that she wasn't going to let her daughter get the vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back