COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the South African variant has now been detected in North Carolina.

What do I care though? I've had two shots. I'm invincible. INVINCIBLE!

@λ the β-Redex Reducer governments that lock down don't want to stay that way forever -- in new zealand they had a real strict lockdown and now things look pretty much normal:
i'm not so optimistic about the US, though...

i did the double mask the other day, a disposable (we got some KN95s and KF94s), covered by a cloth mask, for use in the grocery store. i also wear glasses, but didn't have any fogging issues. a good mask covers tightly around the nose, so the air can't easily go up and fog the lenses.

The KN95s don't do it for me. Still fogging up. They're better than most, but I had had better. The metal stripe is just a touch springy and that's enough to mess the forming around the nose up for me, ever so slightly. I've had one with a single-threaded wire, which was way better. I don't know what it was called, though.

@λ the β-Redex Reducer governments that lock down don't want to stay that way forever -- in new zealand they had a real strict lockdown and now things look pretty much normal:
That's only a good point if New Zealand stays normal. Otherwise this will ultimately have been nothing more than a good pro-lockdown marketing stunt. So we'll have to see.

In other news, lockdowns in Netherlands have been extended. Originally it was until 9 Februari, now it's until somewhere in March. Looks like more businesses need to die. Also, there are now non-sensical rules such as having to wait at least 4 hours between ordering something and picking it up. I have not watched it yet, but supposedly when questioned about this the Dutch prime minister basically said that it was just made up based on nothing but his guess. That's the answer that I would expect considering that the Dutch government has been equally convincing during court cases, stating that they do not have to justify revoking the public's human rights to the public and that they can revoke the Dutch public's human rights on the government's whims because marginal appreciation.

But what else would I expect? The Dutch public proved to be very ingorant and gullible during WWⅱ by supporting the Nazi regime. Could a generation that's so ignorant and gullible really raise critical thinkers? They did not even dispose of Nazi propaganda paper de Telegraaf. That newspaper literally told the public during WWⅱ in no uncertain terms to dispise and ostacise Jews for the Nazis, yet remain one of the most respected, and blindly trusted, newspapers up until now. Who wants to be subscribed to an ex-Nazi newspaper? The Dutch!

I couldn't find anything about this 4 hour rule when searching, but if true

Thuis bestellen, na 4 uur afhalen​

Een bestelling moet minimaal 4 uur voor het afhalen gedaan worden. Klanten kunnen dus niet voor de deur van de winkel iets bestellen en gelijk meenemen.

• Wow
Reactions: rSl
Well, as i only have sight issues on one Eye, i just refused to wear my glasses when i wear a mask,
when the Temperatures are well again for Biking, i have to come up whit a better solution, but its not recomanded to wear FFP2 at sports outside of Business, or the Puplic Transport, so i think whit the Buff, i should be save and can even wear my Bike Glasses..
I dont wear a Mask at Car Driving, so this should work

The only way I've been able to wear glasses while wearing a mask is to pull my jaw back and direct the air down out of my mouth. It's not a good look I'll give you that, but thankfully when you're wearing a mask nobody can tell.
I know, thak you. But still, sometimes I still have steamy glasses. It's something about placement, once I get it right it works most of the time (breathing as you say, that's become a reflex already), but I have to find the right placement every time I change mask model.
So, the South African variant has now been detected in North Carolina.

What do I care though? I've had two shots. I'm invincible. INVINCIBLE!
And today is the last day people have secondary effects (short-term, at least). If you're OK you're likely to keep so some months.
Good for you. Just remember:
  • The second dosis takes some days to be effective (was it a week?). So be careful until wednesday (look out the right time, I don't remember)
  • Even once effective, you should stay careful because maybe you could infect (unvaccinated, mostly) others. There was a report saying Oxford/Astrazeneca stopped ~66% of contagion, but 33% still went on, and another vaccine (Moderna?) had some study too, but I forget the numbers and sources, look it up if you need it. I haven't seen anything on Pzifer preventing contagion.
  • The South African variant seems to be resistent to the Astrazeneca/Oxford vaccine, I think the Pzifer/BioNTech did prevent it, though. You got Pzifer didn't you ?
  • Effectivity is never 100%. That'd be a miracle.

- Not only the remdesivir is completely useless, but it provokes countless mutations of the virus including the "mutation 501" found in the English variant. It previously has shown that mutagen property over ebola and previous coronaviruses.
- The untested vaccines (astrazeneca and moderna) will not work in the long term because it target only one characteristic of the virus (the spikes), so the virus will adapt.
- The chinese normal vaccine will work better against variants because the angle of attack is wider.
- The governements which forbid the use of hydroxychloroquine are basically criminals.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw on the news this morning that the CDC recommends two masks now. Right when I had just gotten used to one mask too.
Well, now that we know that covid stays in your intestines, I wonder how long before they recommend ass-masks (in case of covid-farts).
police: Sir, this is a routine control. Did you eat burrito's the last 24 hours? Well in that case, this big mask is mandatory.

And be wary of your unboiled tap water.
Based on current evidence, the risk to water supplies is low, but not ZERO.

The time required for the virus titer to decrease 99.9% (T99.9) shows that in tap water, coronaviruses are inactivated faster in water at 23°C (10 days) than in water at 4°C (>100 days)

Good luck with winter tab water... at around 4 degrees...

"Grandma, you got a glass of water for me?"
"Yes, I put a glass of water in the fridge, three months ago, it should be covid-free by now"

Last edited:
And be wary of your unboiled tap water.
Pseudo data points (to lazy to look up sources, but still sober, I promise, I drank only tea):
- Alcohol consumption increased during COVID-19 (not by patients, by the general population).
- In Europe in the middle ages, people drank almost only wine, beer and alocholic drinks. I've heard that drinking water wasn't sanitized enough and could cause diseases. The alcohol in wine, etc. killed part of the microbes, so the fact that humans can digest alcohol became an evolutionary advantage.
- Unfortunately, alcohol can also cause diseases (and addiction).
Pity.

Pseudo data points (to lazy to look up sources, but still sober, I promise, I drank only tea):
- Alcohol consumption increased during COVID-19 (not by patients, by the general population).
- In Europe in the middle ages, people drank almost only wine, beer and alocholic drinks. I've heard that drinking water wasn't sanitized enough and could cause diseases. The alcohol in wine, etc. killed part of the microbes, so the fact that humans can digest alcohol became an evolutionary advantage.
- Unfortunately, alcohol can also cause diseases (and addiction).
Pity.
Alcohol doesn't keep you from dehydrating - rather to the contrary, so I don't think that people in the middle ages mostly drank alcohol. I also don't think beer and wine are that good for sanitisation - they're produced by microbes - and when you drink them, they get even less concentrated. And if they could kill the microbes in your intestines, that'd be devastating, no advantage.

Alcohol doesn't keep you from dehydrating - rather to the contrary, so I don't think that people in the middle ages mostly drank alcohol. I also don't think beer and wine are that good for sanitation - they're produced by microbes - and when you drink them, they get even less concentrated. And if they could kill the microbes in your intestines, that'd be devastating, no advantage.
Actually, the "beer" from that time had less alcohol. It was something save to give to babies (much saver than water).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back