COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought most viruses weren't alive by any normal definition of the term to begin with. At least adenovirus seem to be simple capsules containing a short strand of DNA, with no nucleus or any of the other features found in any human cell. The wall of the capsule latches onto the cell wall and pops a hole into it and tips the content out into the space inside the cell, entering the strand of DNA into the void. That strand is identified by mechanisms inside the cell (but outside the nucleus) as stuff to make, so it goes ahead and makes it, but it turns out to be nasty viruses which build up inside the cell and eventually burst it and then flood out into your bloodstream. The virus in isolation is just too simple to make use of ATP or any other human hormone.

I talked to a nurse working in a pediatric hospital in Paris, there's actually a massive surge of aggravated children bronchiolitis.
The cases were very low last year because of the excessive isolation so the immunity decreased. Now the emergency services are full.
She also said that the lack of nurses forces hospitals to close units. Many of them left because of last year's horrible working conditions (no masks, no gloves, no protections, no medication supplies etc.).

We were of course talking about society, not about personal homes. But now that you bring it up, locking down your home a bit more is a good idea. We ourselves recently reinforced a few never-used doors. Though of course that is not meant to be against any government agency, as those cannot be kept out through physical force. They literally own the monopoly on violence.

Last edited:
duuuude... you lost points with me. You haven't been on that other side, let me tell you: the grass there is NOT greener.
i was running a honeypot. it wasn't my home computer. i figured out how they did it and hardened the system (i was sloppy setting up the mail server). now i just sit back and audit hack attempts. stupid botnets wasting their bandwidth on me..

but I do like the old unix philosophy of world readable ~ + encryption where appropriate.

Last edited:
Post automatically merged:

duuuude... you lost points with me. You haven't been on that other side, let me tell you: the grass there is NOT greener.
yeah - rubber host cryptanalysis. that is (currently) infintely more probable that cracking.

real risks are things like an old disk with my data being recovered somehow. or i give someone a retropi image whose id_rsa.pub is in my ~/.ssh/authorized_keys. that kind of fuck up. so I assume that my system is already compromised, and take it from there.
Post automatically merged:

I talked to a nurse working in a pediatric hospital in Paris, there's actually a massive surge of aggravated children bronchiolitis.
The cases were very low last year because of the excessive isolation so the immunity decreased. Now the emergency services are full.
She also said that the lack of nurses forces hospitals to close units. Many of them left because of last year's horrible working conditions (no masks, no gloves, no protections, no medication supplies etc.).
i love nurses. they wear those nice uniforms, are paid to be nice to you, and have drugs.

the NHS just called me, to ask how i feel.. they revealed there was a case of covid on my flight on sunday, but since i'm double vax'd i don't have to isolate (vax coercion ftw). i also took a lateral flow test on monday because that's the procedure i agreed to. they like to appear privacy conscious, treat cases anonymously** so now asked for my current address to give to local authorities who may be able to "assist as necessary". now i fear the gestapo. they also made me feel bad for being white, but that's another story.

i think you guys are weenies for getting upset about vaccinations and mask wearing, when governments now have the ability to incarcerate citizens without trial, effectively on arbitrary whims. freedom--

i think you guys are weenies for getting upset about vaccinations and mask wearing, when governments now have the ability to incarcerate citizens without trial, effectively on arbitrary whims. freedom--
I definitely agree on the danger of arbitrary incarceration. In fact, I would probably have mentioned it to you, had I just been in the mood to discuss the importance of privacy. The more privacy a society has, the more difficult it becomes for the government to figure out who to target for arbitrary incarceration (e.g. to figure out who the whistleblowers/Jews/etc are). Making arbitrary incarceration difficult is one of the most important reasons to care about privacy.

Though I disagree on the importance of mandated shots. If the government can mandate shots then they can inject any fluid into anyone at will without any explanation besides "covid-19". That is too dangerous.

As for the masks, they are probably just tools to shape how we think. The government has a monopoly on violence, but their true speciality is propaganda, i.e. shaping the mind. They know how important constant reminders are. If we do not get constantly reminded of covid-19 then we will stop fearing it within a month for sure. But with the masks we get constant reminders. Of course the news probably also helps (I never watch it anymore, but I am guessing that it still mentions covid-19 pretty frequently). What shapes people's minds are often not the rare big experiences, but the commonly repeated small experiences.

Having said all that, the ship of having a free and privacy respecting society IMO has sailed. And with that so did the ship of having a safe society, because privacy and freedom are prerequisites to safety.

the NHS just called me, to ask how i feel.. they revealed there was a case of covid on my flight on sunday, but since i'm double vax'd i don't have to isolate (vax coercion ftw). i also took a lateral flow test on monday because that's the procedure i agreed to. they like to appear privacy conscious, treat cases anonymously** so now asked for my current address to give to local authorities who may be able to "assist as necessary". now i fear the gestapo. they also made me feel bad for being white, but that's another story.
Weird story. Seems like the NHS is pretty dedicated. Personally I do not fly anymore, we just travel by car. It does limit the distance we can go, but it's better. It is safer because it allows us to avoid the "security" services of flights. I need to avoid so-called "security" in order to be more secure.

Some noise around Pfizer 6-weeks FDA-approval trail. There where 153 trail sites and about one of those site the following was published:
"Revelations of poor practices at a contract research company helping to carry out Pfizer’s pivotal covid-19 vaccine trial raise questions about data integrity and regulatory oversight."
"In Pfizer’s briefing document submitted to an FDA advisory committee meeting held on 10 December 2020 to discuss Pfizer’s application for emergency use authorisation of its covid-19 vaccine, the company made no mention of problems at the Ventavia site. The next day the FDA issued the authorisation of the vaccine."
source: https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2635

Witnessed a security guard for a French town market do a nose rocket in the middle of the street yesterday.

Seems ironic given what others here were saying about terrorism news cycles and the reason why that security guard was there...

Other news:
"A US appeals court has temporarily blocked President Joe Biden's plans for a vaccine mandate for businesses."
"The law would require workers at private companies with more than 100 employees to get fully vaccinated against Covid-19 or be tested weekly.
But the court found "grave statutory and constitutional" issues with the rule, set to be introduced in January.
It said it was suspending the mandate and gave the Biden administration until Monday to respond.
Five Republican-led states - Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Utah - as well as private companies and religious groups, had filed legal challenges against the mandate.
They accused the president of overstepping his authority."
Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59194421

Witnessed a security guard for a French town market do a nose rocket in the middle of the street yesterday.
What does a nose rocket mean?

What was your goal about posting this document. I translated it, read it, and don't know what I should learn from it.
Well, the title of the document kind of gives it away. The difficulty of selecting the root-cause of death. Take page 19 of the PDF (page 13). The root cause for the HIV patient or the root cause for the accident: Person had accident, person had ruptured aorta (main heart blood vessel), caused traumatic hypovolemic shock. One is and the other is not classified as covid death. I found that most interesting: how do they know the person not get unwell during travel which ultimately caused the accident. (a bit like pilots that get unwell - but fortunately, there's always a second pilot)
It also throws the illness codes, which is nice to see again. Which leads me to: https://www.icd10data.com/ICD10CM/Codes/S00-T88/T79-T79/T79-/T79.4 and revisions in code. Which leads me to wonder if my old translations in 2013 from ICD9 to ICD10 needs to be revised (but it's an old project for which I did not spend much time on to keep up-to-date year by year, and the dev did not reply back I hope @HelenF is still happy with it- probably learned the new codes by now and doesnt need to look up old codes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back