COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
FiveThirtyEight's Nate Silver says we're going to miss President Biden's goal of having 70% of adults vaccinated by July 4th. That said, he also says a Gallup poll said 76% of adults either plan to get vaccinated or already have done so, so we'll get there eventually.

Nevertheless, even ignoring the situation he inherited from the previous President, in terms of the vaccine it’s no mean feat to have come as far as the US - or frankly any (admittedly more economically developed) country - has in the space of a year and a half...

A new preprint studying 14000 cases in England (2021-04-12 - 2021-06-04) claims AZ and BioNTech are still effective against hospitalization with Delta variant.Worse than with Alpha, but by little. Previous studies on symptoms and no data yet on deaths.

Alpha:
AZ : 1 dose 76% (61-85) 2 doses 86% (53-96)
BioNTech: 1 dose 83% (62-93) 2 doses 95% (78-99)

Delta:
AZ: 1 dose 71%(51 -83 ) 2 doses 92%(75-95)
BioNTech: 1 dose 94%(46-99) 2 doses 96%(86-99)

First case of postmortem study in a patient vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2​

In the things that worry me personally department, COVID-19 cases in my county and my dad’s county have upticked slightly. The cause seems to be a high positivity rate in the last day of testing reported in both counties. In my county it’s 7% out of 150 tests, so like ten cases that day. In my dad’s county it’s 12% out of 50 tests, so like six cases. Obviously we’re dealing with such low numbers that this day could be an outlier, but it’s weird that it happened on the same day in adjacent counties. Hospitalizations in the state overall went back up too, by 26 to back over 500.

Here’s a link in case you also want to have fun with the numbers:

not general populations.
yet

Seems like they are talking about Cancer or injecting us with telomeres to get longevity.

"We simply must do everything to carry out mass vaccinations in the shortest possible time and stop this terrible!!! disease, stop the deaths of thousands of people,'' - Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin

Last edited:
I read it as "China expert who is expert in the disease says COVID-19..."
or "expert in the disease who is from China says COVID-19..."
or even "someone who is expert in both China and the disease, says COVID-19..."
but I guess the only thing preventing me from interpreting it as "China disease" is that I find it nonsensical, not that I couldn't be the intended meaning.
But I'm no "English expert" and I always wonder at how a language with so little inflection manages to get more and more rid of prepositions, specially in headlines and maybe by non native speakers.

I read it as "China expert who is expert in the disease says COVID-19..."
or "expert in the disease who is from China says COVID-19..."
or even "someone who is expert in both China and the disease, says COVID-19..."
but I guess the only thing preventing me from interpreting it as "China disease" is that I find it nonsensical, not that I couldn't be the intended meaning.
But I'm no "English expert" and I always wonder at how a language with so little inflection manages to get more and more rid of prepositions, specially in headlines and maybe by non native speakers.
You’ll wonder a little more now; I’m getting rid of your definite articles... (they only make sense in this context if you’re referring to *the Covid-19 disease*, which I take it is not the interpretation you read?)

The way it will pan out is 99% of countries independent expert investigators will conclude that it originated some place, Wuhan, Palm Springs, doesn't matter. But Wuhan will blame Palm Springs and Palm Spring will blame Wuhan. This 1% alternate view will actually be quite popular, so blaming will be controversial and there won't be enough political momentum for nuclear war. Vive la difference!

As an American, I'd like to apologize in advance for when we get busted as the origin of COVID-19.
Note that it's not the American PEOPLE, but the government (for example: surrounding all countries with their bases and submarines). Just like there are nice CHINESE PEOPLE, and a toxic government (sealing entire blocks off and starving people - you have seen those video clips right?).
specially in headlines
Well, headlines is an art-form. You need to entice to click/read with just a few words. You may offend, lie or bend the truth, all for the clicks. consider: "Industry turning fish gay" for a derived article based on say this

You’ll wonder a little more now; I’m getting rid of your definite articles... (they only make sense in this context if you’re referring to *the Covid-19 disease*, which I take it is not the interpretation you read?)
There's a definite difference in interpreting an 'expert in the disease' and an 'expert in disease'. The former is about a specific disease while the latter would tend to refer to some kind of doctor or virologist, or some expert in pathogens and genetic disease and toxicities and all of the other ways people can get sick. But in a headline when you read it you need to infer a lot more hidden context to deduce what they mean, often reading the article itself to find out what it actually meant, in which case the headline has done it's job.

In this specific case, reading the first line of the article clears up what they meant when they wrote 'china disease' rather unfortunately:
A senior Chinese epidemiologist said the United States should be the priority
Chinese became 'china' and epidemiologist became a person who is experienced in diseases that go on to to form epidemics, which became 'expert in diseases' which finally rather confusingly became just 'disease'.

Is this an uh-oh moment? (your usefulness has expired)
Post automatically merged:

Put on your tinfoil hat and meditate on this piece of propaganda (that the experimental mRNA gene therapy is totally safe for pregnant wo^H^Hpeople):

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back