Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Please stay safe, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks like a great example of propaganda.

A lot of "allegedly" (https://www.dictionary.com/browse/allege Definition of Allege "to assert without proof.").

Also, we do not know what happened. They do not tell us who initiated the violence and they do not tell us what the police did to the maskless woman or her associates. Are those details not important?
Violent fights are great for propaganda. If group A and group B fight and hurt each other, then just cover only what A did to B if you're pro-B and only cover what B did to A if you're pro-A.

One thing I find strange is that they say that the maskless woman has no crime record. This suggests that this kind of violence is out of character for her. I wonder why they mention that because it actually makes it more likely that there is some untold reason why she attacked, and clearly we're not supposed to root for the maskless woman here.

On a related note, we now have an Orwellian society. They always know where we are, they can lock us up in our homes, they can drag us out of our cars, they can tell us what to wear, they can inject whetever they please in our bodies, we watch their propaganda in our own homes. Freedom is over. There is no getting around it anymore. We are in 1984 right now. Maybe you think that's great, maybe you think that society needs an Orwellian government in order to keep the people in check and protect against COVID-19 (which you probably mostly hear about in the news which of course is government controlled, as is the case in any Orwellian society). But whether you like it or not, we are an Orwellian society right now.

A few years ago I thought that people would forever be against an Orwellian society. But now I think that an Orwellian society will be lauded and people who oppose it will be hated. Remember this:
Good times, when people at least lauded the girl. Now people are lauding Big Brother because the girl is an idiot who wants to kill people with COVID-19 germs because of "freedom".

I feel bad for Orwell, that his name gets abused to use it for a form of society he warned us about.

I don't know about elsewhere, but in Germany it's some rich families, who own the media - at least newspapers/magazines/publishing houses, but I think tv and radio stations too (aside from public-service broadcasting).

Give credit in the credits. Give lemmata, theorems, diseases, physical laws and whatnot descriptive names.
I always hated that in my studies. "What's the lemma of Hans Wurst about?" - "I don't know. Let's give it a better name, then we don't need to ask such silly questions!"

I don't know about elsewhere, but in Germany it's some rich families, who own the media - at least newspapers/magazines/publishing houses, but I think tv and radio stations too (aside from public-service broadcasting).
That won't stop them from showing government propaganda. The current biggest privately owned newspaper company in the Netherlands actually published Nazi propaganda in WWII. Imagine having blind faith in them during WWII just because they're a private company, you'd be eating government propaganda like candy and handing over Jews to Nazis.

Every government knows that propaganda is critical in getting the public's approval, and they all approach big news outlets. You should read about it. Noam Chomski has a lot of great books about it. John Taylor Gatto has a lot of useful information about propaganda on schools, which is also quite interesting. Governments are powerful for a reason, they're good at getting power. And power is gotten through people's minds, not with brute strength. When you look at the news then you're up against trained professionals who make a living manipulating your beliefs in whatever way the one hiring them wants your beliefs to be manipulated. If you know nothing about propaganda then your mind is going to be like clay to them.

Give credit in the credits. Give lemmata, theorems, diseases, physical laws and whatnot descriptive names.
I always hated that in my studies. "What's the lemma of Hans Wurst about?" - "I don't know. Let's give it a better name, then we don't need to ask such silly questions!"
I agree with this. I dislike that they give things nonsensical names just to honour people. But deviating from those names and making up my own terms is just going to make me harder to understand so I roll with it.

That won't stop them from showing government propaganda.
I didn't mean to imply anything to the contrary. It's even worse. They follow their own agenda, which can allign with the government, when the outlet owners have an understanding with the lobbyists.
But deviating from those names and making up my own terms is just going to make me harder to understand so I roll with it.
Sure. I'm just expressing my disliking of the tradition.

I love this conversation. So many good point of views and consider-this-other-side, while being civil and still with strong arguments. *proud of this group*
That depends entirely on your definition of “civil”; if I were a Muslim, or Chinese, I would feel pretty damn unwelcome here right now. Not just because of certain unjust assertions made here but because of the actual lack of challenge to them, besides asking for nonexistent sources and once requesting that SARS-Cov-2 “Covid-19” be referred to correctly but without explanation as to why a location/nationality-based name is inappropriate...and in that I am as guilty as the rest of us - but my initial point in this post is still valid.
There are a lot of questions directed at me, in addition to many points that weren’t, to which I will respond in order (probably in the Politics thread) but first I wanted to highlight the issue at the start of this post.
Inshallah we can still improve each other’s understanding through discussion...

Last edited:
That depends entirely on your definition of “civil”; if I were a Muslim, or Chinese, I would feel pretty damn unwelcome here right now.
So just because I don't have a plate on the table for you does not mean you are not welcome to dine (I just put an extra plate on the table).
If a $X mingles in the discussion, or calls somebody out, then the rhetoric changes and adapts.
And we are anti $X Goverment/policies, not anti-$X (person)... but I feel I missed reading a few threads where that happened (probably those locked threads).

Note that before the German sub-sections, some threads were in German, and after an English post to them, then the German speakers tried to accommodate for English by switching to English.

It can also be that such a person just ignores all posts from a poster s/he dislikes. (Yes, we can ignore posts from people, just hover on their avatar and "ignore"). Problem solved.

ps: Now I'm wondering if I live in lala land and unknowingly ignore the bad in this forum, or that I have been exposed too much to chatrooms where you get a fuck-you and perm-ban for butthurting someone.

They do not say that she's fined for violence. The only fine of the maskless woman that they talk about is one for breaching restrictions.

Yes, there are different videos, in one of them they say she was fined for that too, but I can't link to the video, it's an embedded blob.

Maybe I can't understand all the words they say, but I understand that she was charged for 9 offenses and had to pay 200 $ for not respecting restrictions, anyway wasn't put in jail because she had no previous criminal records.

Last edited:
Does anything look familiar?

that Wikipedia is a far left organization and they sanitize and clean up information to fit their world view.

I don't think so, I just think it's individuals that guard a page (sometimes using bots to detect changes), groups that get paid to guard pages and, sometimes, two groups that fight to change and restore pages.
And it's not on all pages, just controversial ones.

The actual dangerous changes are slow, small changes to gradually change history. That's why I still value paper encyclopedias.

And what I find annoying is that same pages in different languages sometimes say different things. So which one to believe?

Last edited:
That depends entirely on your definition of “civil”; if I were a Muslim, or Chinese, I would feel pretty damn unwelcome here right now.

Two points:

1) Phlyra, please note that if I was posting towards you too much, I did not mean that personally at all. I would be happy to change my mind on anything when I read your rebuttals to my or other posts.

2) On the topics of Muslims and Chinese, my opinions are illegal in Germany and the EU. I will refrain from posting any opinions on this topic.

I humbly request that we all be careful what we post. This project and ED are the most important things to protect on this site.

No accusations, just a reminder that in the UK alone over 3000 people were visited last year by the UK police for things they posted online.

That's why I still value paper encyclopedias.
How many words does your encyclopedia put towards the topic of Kamala Harris? I only have access to British encyclopedias so they don't mention her, but in my experience even quite famous people get only a short paragraph or two. In comparison, the wikipedia page for her is extensive and readable. Of course, you have to bear in mind the perspective of the authors when reading anything, and wikipedia's claim to be unbiased feels to me less honest than that of older institutions that you are on the internet these days, who tend to be more open about their leanings, although we're perhaps just had more time to learn how each of them lean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back