Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Please stay safe, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essential reading: https://eastdevonwatch.org/2020/10/...-protecting-nhs-from-covid-19/comment-page-1/

I am also aware of such a DNR case in my former local community...yet the local Tory MP denied that this national policy was happening, of course.
What it fails to mention is that this DNR policy wasn’t just applied to “fragile”, “elderly” people, but also to care homes for those with “disabilities” such as Down’s Syndrome, including young people (I put “disabilities” in inverted commas because we have defined people who are simply different as being disabled, yet I know people with Down’s Syndrome who are leading fully independent lives).

Last edited:
England reentering a kind of full lockdown from Thursday, finally, after every man and his dog has been asking for over a week. As far as I can tell schools will remain open but otherwise it should be something like the first lockdown.

Only England this time round. Scotland and Wales and at least historically now Northern Ireland have their own parliaments, and with this being a health and economy kind of thing, have full power to do what they want. They all have been more responsive to the data and have set their own distinct rules. It's only England that's almost entirely beholden to the power of Boris and his cronies presently.

another article on the possibility that "the dose makes the poison"

(I haven't read the article, but) That sounds counter-intuitive to me. I'd buy, that there may be a dose threshold to get sick at all, but if a virus takes hold, it makes the host's cell cores replicate the virus over and over again. So, a higher virus dosage would mean a headstart for the virus of minutes maybe? Maybe many minutes?

The important factor in this disease is how far it spreads throughout your body, which is probably true of most viruses in fact. If you only recieve a handful of virus particles in your nose and throat, they might be neutralised there and then, giving you a sore throat and runny nose, but then you're over it. If there are more, there's more chance one infected cell in your throat won't be detected properly, or ineffectively terminated, such that it can rupture and spread viruses down your windpipe and into your lungs. Your immune system will still be working, and terminating 90% of the infected cells, but if there are any that aren't killed properly, the virus will propagate. It's worth also considering the the body has a few different immune systems that work in parallel, and different ones take different times to get going. After it's been replicating in your body for a few days and colonised your nose, throat and lungs, you immune system can still be kicking up a gear and finally getting good enough to wipe it out, after from your point of view a pretty nasty bout.

After looking at the figures that showed that most people caught it at work or at school, the French government decided to have a new lockdown but to keep schools open and to allow people to go to work.:|

After looking at the figures that showed that most people caught it at work or at school, the French government decided to have a new lockdown but to keep schools open and to allow people to go to work.:|
Some normally pro-Macron friends have been telling me that “distance learning” is no longer allowed because the State is worried about children being “indoctrinated” by things not in the national curriculum... Whatever the truth in that may be, it seems particularly sad for a country with as strong a culture of open-source etc. as France.
All those saying “distance learning” doesn’t work anyway are ludicrous - I have cousins who lived in the Australian Outback and had to do “distance learning” by radio decades ago!

• Wow
Reactions: rSl
Visits in elderly care houses are also authorized.
Good thing that they are. Loneliness for elderly can be literal torture. COVID-19 is as much a reason to torture these folks in their last few days as that the flu was. It would be a crime to seperate these folks from their families so that they can spend their last few days alone and miserable.

But it's hard to understand this if you do not deal with elderly yourself. This is not a decision that should be made from an ivory tower.

Some normally pro-Macron friends have been telling me that “distance learning” is no longer allowed because the State is worried about children being “indoctrinated” by things not in the national curriculum...
Personally I tend to not be a huge fan of the indoctrination from things in national curriculums either, though that depends on country and time period.

The important factor in this disease is how far it spreads throughout your body, which is probably true of most viruses in fact. If you only recieve a handful of virus particles in your nose and throat, they might be neutralised there and then, giving you a sore throat and runny nose, but then you're over it. If there are more, there's more chance one infected cell in your throat won't be detected properly, or ineffectively terminated, such that it can rupture and spread viruses down your windpipe and into your lungs. Your immune system will still be working, and terminating 90% of the infected cells, but if there are any that aren't killed properly, the virus will propagate. It's worth also considering the the body has a few different immune systems that work in parallel, and different ones take different times to get going. After it's been replicating in your body for a few days and colonised your nose, throat and lungs, you immune system can still be kicking up a gear and finally getting good enough to wipe it out, after from your point of view a pretty nasty bout.

Not only that. There's another mechanism which makes SARS-CoV-2 lethal in young and/or healthy patients, making the immune system go overdrive and killing the patient:

Corticosteroids are being used now to improve survival rate on those cases.

Some normally pro-Macron friends have been telling me that “distance learning” is no longer allowed because the State is worried about children being “indoctrinated” by things not in the national curriculum... Whatever the truth in that may be, it seems particularly sad for a country with as strong a culture of open-source etc. as France.
All those saying “distance learning” doesn’t work anyway are ludicrous - I have cousins who lived in the Australian Outback and had to do “distance learning” by radio decades ago!

I'm not sure presential learning works very well these days. I used to go to school to learn subjects and more or less enjoyed it. I no longer understand what school has become. The mantra is "a teacher should not transmit content/Knowledge". They thing pupils can look
for knowledge in the internet (no one can do that if he starts without subject matter knowledge, and what you can you can use and combine the knowledge in the same way as when it's in your head). It feels like school today is just entertainment.

Anyway, there was a study somehow saying that students are happier (less anxiety) studying at home .

I think they're confusing this with another law that has been announced that would force children from age 3 to go to either a public school or a private school under contract with the state. Currently, the obligation to school children is only from age 6 and people are allowed to home-school their children or to have them go to contract-less private schools.

This is theoretically to prevent "indoctrination" (it was announced as a measure against islamists). Seeing how they are also currently considering a law that would let the state prevent university scholars from working on some "non-republican" topics (whatever that may be, presumably stuff like colonialism or systemic racism), I think what they mean is they want to prevent indoctrination from anyone but the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back