Craig, you might want to stop using the name "App Store"

Or call it The App Shop just to really annoy them!

Apple can be even worse than MS for this kind of thing. Tools!

wouldn't it not be copyright if there's a space in it? app is simply an abbreviation of application (not apple as lots of people apparently think) and you can't copyright the word 'store' for obvious reasons

Last edited by a moderator:
Apple sued me for...
Selling apples? The fruit, not the electronic device.

Actually, I think I'm going to open a Fruit and Veg shop in the Bullring in Birmingham next door to the Apple Store and call it "The Apple Store"

Or call it The App Shop just to really annoy them!

Apple can be even worse than MS for this kind of thing. Tools!

lol, MS is not nice when it comes to thoses things, but Apple is ALWAYS worst... in fact the battle between sony and apple is quite close when it comes to this...

You know, they even registered iPod as a trademark for kitchen equipment, some small German company was sued by them because they sold an egg cup called "eiPOTT".

Reading the article, they've applied for a TM on App Store, but MS are contesting it.

This could go on and on. And surely, while they DON'T have a TM on the name, they can't bring any action against Amazon to a conclusion.

I can't stand the way Apple think they can throw litigation around like this and expect to win because they've got the deepest pockets. Going back to the whole Apple vs Apple Corps wrangle, they got permission from Apple Corps (The Beatles Music publising company) to use the name Apple when they started out, and said they wouldn't use the name Apple in connection with music. Wind forward 20 years...

Scum.

Also, how can people be confused between The Apple App Store and the Amazon App Store? It's not like they're open platforms and you can switch from one to the other as and when you feel like it.

It makes my blood boil so it does!

"App Store" has been around way before Apple used that term, but they where the first to trademark it. Unfortunately the technicalities of some laws are absolutely ridiculous, and the cult which is Apple, takes advantage of every little technicality. I'm still waiting for them to gain a trademark for something like "Earth" where we wont be able to use that word to refer to the planet anymore without owing them royalties. Better not give them any more ideas...

but they where the first to trademark it.
Not quite.

There are two dead trademarks for "Appstore", as one word; One filed in 1998, the other filed in 2006. These pre-date Apple's, but of course are written slightly differently.

Apple's (which is of course live), for "App Store", as two words, was filed in 2008.

There's also the still-live one for the "@Metro App Store", originally filed in 2009, the "Green App Store", also filed in 2009 but now dead, and the "Digital Signage App Store" which is another now-dead one that was filed in 2009, too, but these don't count because they were all filed for after Apple's.

I'm not sure how the one-word trademarks affect it, but looking at it from a layperson's perspective, I don't think you could say they were the first to trademark it, really...

Still, the best one was when the judge refused to allow MS a copyright because he pointed out that the word "Windows" was in common usage before MS started using it. The same *should* go for Apple and App Store.

Edit: as one word or two.

Still, the best one was when the judge refused to allow MS a copyright because he pointed out that the word "Windows" was in common usage before MS started using it. The same *should* go for Apple and App Store.
There is a massive difference between copyrights and trademarks. ;)

True, but it's the sheer audacity of big corporatoins who simply believe it's their right to ringfence a commonly used word or phrase like this, particularly when it's so generic in it's meaninig.

Now, if they were trying to TM "iApp Store" and Amazon decided to use it, well, that would be a different kettle of fish.

^ Aye, that's true indeed, I quite agree.

I did have a good laugh about the "Windows" thing, back in the day, I must admit. Thanks for reminding me of that one. :lol:

I did have a good laugh about the "Windows" thing, back in the day, I must admit. Thanks for reminding me of that one. :lol:
You're quite welcome.

And I think that was the thing. Back then it just seemed rediculous that someone would even bother to try and copyright such a commonly used word that it was just funny. Now, particularly with Apple, they seem to spend as much if not more than their R&D budget chasing frivolous law suits.

Back