Craigs forum status

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
If you've been on the boards for a while, you know there's sometimes some drama, quite a few times some members and devs attack Craig because they think he hid some posts or deleted them or even banned members.

While I never checked who hid threads or banned members (might've been some mod as well), it's sad to see regular threads with such accussations.

Whatever happened, we can't change the past, but we can improve the future!

That's why I had some talk with Craig yesterday.

For Pandora 2 (whenever that might happen), we need to work even more closely as a team, everyone working what he can do best.

I probably am quite good handling a community, talking with devs and members as well as organizing the PCB production here in Germany (it worked fine for Pandora 1, so it shouldn't be an issue for Pandora 2 as well).

So yes, we've learned from the past years and want to concentrate more on what we can do best and let others do the rest.

The first step has happened today.

While Craig was never listed officially as moderator, he had moderating power since he had Admin status.

I talked with him yesterday - and basically all he wants to be able to do is add and edit forum sections. He doesn't want to mod (that's why he never had official mod status) or do anything else.

However, if he kept admin status, these "Craig hid that post!"-posts would probably happen over and over again.

Well, now I can assure you:

The only thing he can now do is rearrange the forum, edit member ranks (i.e. to add moderators like Wally) and access the moderator forum.

He doesn't have any other rights besides that anymore, he cannot edit, ban or delete members anymore and he cannot hide, edit or delete posts or threads.

That's what I decided together with Craig - to keep some drama away.

This is the first step into a brighter future.

Now let's get those Pandoras out (GamesCom, here we come!) and start working on a Pandora 2 sometime later... :)

Good idea, the less negativity the better.

A positive community is the only way to build a strong foundation for bigger things to happen.

Good luck, and thank you all for the continueing efforts!

This was a positive move. I hope that the devs/team members who have been unhappy are able to give you constructive feedback on what they would like to see improve, in order that they are motivated for P1 and P2

Something like:

- Communication for OPT, and what expectations they can have for being included in design changes and specficiations for P2

- Renumerations expectations: What might a dev be paid or donated for their work? (Dev Board, Console, $$$ etc)

- Understand their role. Are they expected to do a major bit of work, and then never hear from the OPT team again, or will they be included into some kind of Change Advisory Board, where they can share their opinion and expertise on the likely impact of changes to OS, Hardware or design of the console.

It seems to me that they keywords are "Better Communication & Inclusion in the team."

But it's hard to say from forum posts, but as I said I hope your excellent suggestion to be the "Communicator" of the project will open up some feedback from the fantastic devs on the boards.

Cheers

C_S

I probably am quite good handling a community, talking with devs and members as well as organizing the PCB production here in Germany (it worked fine for Pandora 1, so it shouldn't be an issue for Pandora 2 as well).
Fixed that for you ED, no need for false modesty. You have defused an angry mob on these boards more than once :)

This seems like a good move. I know Craig claimed that he wouldn't mod from day one these boards were created, but his admin powers over the board made it easy to disbelieve him on this issue. Hopefully future incidents will be avoided this way.

I probably am very good handling a community, talking with devs and members as well as organizing the PCB production here in Germany (it worked fine for Pandora 1, so it shouldn't be an issue for Pandora 2 as well).
Fixed that for you ED, no need for false modesty. You have defused an angry mob on these boards more than once :)
I say you're both wrong! (ftfy)

I apologise for being unable to edit the grammar in this thread title.
No apology required. Neither moderators nor admins exist to fix spelling and/or grammar mistakes.

[edit]@Strigoi. Added grammar mistakes ;) [/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
I already miss Craig's Iron fist forum moderation.

For the record, we knew way back on GP32X how emotional Craig can get sometimes, and the reservations we had were that if he had the power that the time might come when he might feel justified in abusing that power where a cooler head would find a better way. Trust was placed when Craig said that he didn't want mod powers and that he wouldn't have any. That trust was betrayed when Craig openly admitted to censoring anti-Pandora threads he found particularly distasteful, the very thing I and many others had expressed concerns about when the forum was started: our reservations were justified; he had the power and eventually couldn't keep himself from abusing it, and that betrayal of trust stuck hard so that every suspicious action was made even more questionable.

This should not be seen as a slight against Craig: he's a very passionate person who cares a great deal about what he does, in his own insane ways, but passion is a double edged sword, especially when dealing with the public. I'm glad that there is, finally, a buffer.

You did what? This community will fall apart now that there's no common enemy anymore!

For the good of the community we must (shudders) bring back hakmanplayer.
Lol I suggested this in a separate thread the other day and it went down like a lead ballon. Would not be supprised if he has been lying dormant on the board with a new alias just waiting to unleash all sorts of shenanigans when we least expect it.

For the record, we knew way back on GP32X how emotional Craig can get sometimes, and the reservations we had were that if he had the power that the time might come when he might feel justified in abusing that power where a cooler head would find a better way. Trust was placed when Craig said that he didn't want mod powers and that he wouldn't have any. That trust was betrayed when Craig openly admitted to censoring anti-Pandora threads he found particularly distasteful, the very thing I and many others had expressed concerns about when the forum was started: our reservations were justified; he had the power and eventually couldn't keep himself from abusing it, and that betrayal of trust stuck hard so that every suspicious action was made even more questionable.

This should not be seen as a slight against Craig: he's a very passionate person who cares a great deal about what he does, in his own insane ways, but passion is a double edged sword, especially when dealing with the public. I'm glad that there is, finally, a buffer.

As has been repeatedly said, I next to never used the mod powers, and other mods came forward several times when I was accused of this or that and said they had infact done the editing/removal.

We're doing this to STOP the ridiculous commets like the one you have just posted, because I've had enough of being accused of removing posts. I know you would love it to be true, but I simply didn't remove those posts. I didn't remove that poll. When Notaz accused me of removing some posts I had not. Sony had, simply because they broke the forum rules.

Yet here you are already trying to cause trouble again. Like a bully. Why don't you just switch off your computer and go out and so something less boring instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back