Craig's Hinge Testing

WolfSpider

Looks like hes testing the Pandora's hinge.

My disposable Pandora test pilot has just survived 1000 vicious openings and closings. Hinge still works. How many until it breaks I wonder?

WolfSpider said:
Looks like hes testing the Pandora's hinge.

My disposable Pandora test pilot has just survived 1000 vicious openings and closings. Hinge still works. How many until it breaks I wonder?
I thought it was really funny when he threw pens and stuff at it in the video, I would've done that too. Glad to hear it's holding up, 1000 is not a very high number for regular stresses but I guess violent openings/closings are a good start. I just hope that they stay strong in actual use. Seems laptops almost always break at the hinge first (if you treat it well). But then again their hinges have to hold up a lot more weight and it's usually the plastic around the hinge that breaks, not the hinge itself (sometimes it gets loose and separates the corner of the laptop)

Last edited by a moderator:
It does have metal in it.

I expect the plastic to break first, but it actually seems to be more stretching on the Pandora when forced, I can see stress marks starting to appear if I force the screen past the final click now. I'm just sitting here flipping the Pandora open and closed (holding the base and violently flicking the top part up and down) as it's the easiest way to force it back past the final click. I occasionally force the top part back hard and hold it there too as far as I can push it.

It still works perfectly. The stretching has not got any worse in the last 500 or so slams.

I keep seeing these DS hinge replacement parts for sale, it worries me that Nintendo can't even get their hinge 100%.

How many do you think is a reasonable amount to try to do? I'm thinking a well used Pandora might be opened and closed 15 times a day.

b1llygo4t said:
wait wheres this video?

Do you really want a video of an empty-soulless pandora being viscously closed and open multiple times on youtube?
Sure for the lols, but it would ultimately be a waste of time as it doesn't show the OS in action.

craigix said:
How many do you think is a reasonable amount to try to do? I'm thinking a well used Pandora might be opened and closed 15 times a day.
You need to go all "Consumer Reports" (do they have that in UK?) and build a hing-testing machine that runs for days on end opening and closing the hinge!

(P.S. : That would make an awesome youTube video.)

VRAndy said:
craigix said:
You need to go all "Consumer Reports" (do they have that in UK?) and build a hing-testing machine that runs for days on end opening and closing the hinge!

Or they can hire a tramp to do it and pay him in soup :blink:

Or I can just do a few thousand and see what happens. Nothing more has happened. Done another 150.

I think the stretching might have just been the nature of the material. It seems pretty solid now, no change in ages, but I'll keep going until it breaks or I decide it never will.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
VRAndy said:
craigix said:

Why would they want a promiscuous woman to do it, when they could get a bum. :p

BackAssward said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
VRAndy said:
craigix said:

Why would they want a promiscuous woman to do it, when they could get a bum. :p

You won't get quality work out of a lazy person. They should get a hobo.

It will take Two Months™ worth of vicious opening and closing to break.

craigix said:
Or I can just do a few thousand and see what happens. Nothing more has happened. Done another 150.

I think the stretching might have just been the nature of the material. It seems pretty solid now, no change in ages, but I'll keep going until it breaks or I decide it never will.

Make a vid of 5 mins of closing and opening, then loop it via editing. :p

Very interesting indeed Mr. R! Are you doing the counts in your head? How many do you plan on doing before you give up if nothing seems to give up? (Do you believe in Pandora? ;) )

I'd say about 5000 would be good while still remaining at least somewhat reasonable to do (though rather tiring, sorry craig). My reasoning behind this is as follows: 3 years of fairly heavy usage (15 opens/closes a day) would come out to just over 15000, and the way craig is doing it should be equivalent to at least 3 normal open/closes. And 2 years of heavy usage like that should translate to at least 5 years of average usage (5 open/closes a day?), which seems acceptable. More would of course be better, but I'd imagine it would take a while and 5000 should be plenty. Though if we're really lucky, it'll be able to outlive the GBA SP's hinge, which is capable of withstanding constant and severe abuse of the worst kind (AKA me when I was 10).

EDIT: had 10000 instead of 15000, oops.

At least make sure your warranty period is covered :)
15 x 365 = 5475

Edit: though 15 a day seems pretty low... what does the manufacturer rate the hinge for? Any specs available?

Back