Durability

My DS Phat is extremely durable; it has taken so many hits, kicks, and drops that should kill any device but it keeps on going just fine. I hope the Pandora is just as strong. :)

Tensuke said:
My DS Phat is extremely durable; it has taken so many hits, kicks, and drops that should kill any device but it keeps on going just fine. I hope the Pandora is just as strong. :)
Except let's hope it has more durable shoulder buttons. The reason I got a DS Lite is because the L button on my DS phat started going out. (and they weren't selling brand new DS phats anymore) Then I had to get my DS Lite replaced because the L button on my DS Lite died.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
Tensuke said:
Except let's hope it has more durable shoulder buttons. The reason I got a DS Lite is because the L button on my DS phat started going out. (and they weren't selling brand new DS phats anymore) Then I had to get my DS Lite replaced because the L button on my DS Lite died.

-God Ginrai

Can you explain this?

Why not just have the button replaced? Instead of dumping the whole console, repair it. In the case of a button (rather than an LCD or broken motherboard) trashing a whole device just for one button is pretty wasteful. At least tell me you sold the DS Phat so that somebody else could use it.

Maybe it is a strange button that doesn't lend itself to replacement, but usually it isn't an issue, just unsolder one and solder on a new one (or in the case of membrane switches a good cleaning and applying some conductive paint to worn pads.)

Are there any plans for durability testing by the Pandora team?

God Ginrai said:
First of all, you do not need to mod your DS to use Homebrew on it.

Second, PSP has limited flash support. (not none)

That was just from a cursory glance of the document.

Unfortunately I didn't see where in the doc you were referring to.

The document is not very well maintained at this point, we have an impressive amount of information thanks to numerous individuals (Myself, Chad78, KRH, Sam Fisher, and Shiny) but I can't keep that going all by myself. If you'd like to collaborate on it, send me a PM. I'd be happy to add you.

one of the shoulder buttons on my GBA SP also stopped working. Aren't those tact switches? why does this happen so easily?

Because the metal cap they use in the tact switch is cheap shit, and it is not a question of if it will break, it is a question of WHEN. BTW, do you want to sell that GBA SP? I need it for a mod that does not need the shoulder buttons.

I might, but consider that I live in germany. It's also scratched on the outside.

Well, then let's hope that the pandora has some decent metal caps!

nubie said:
God Ginrai said:
Tensuke said:

-God Ginrai

Can you explain this?

Why not just have the button replaced? Instead of dumping the whole console, repair it. In the case of a button (rather than an LCD or broken motherboard) trashing a whole device just for one button is pretty wasteful. At least tell me you sold the DS Phat so that somebody else could use it.

Maybe it is a strange button that doesn't lend itself to replacement, but usually it isn't an issue, just unsolder one and solder on a new one (or in the case of membrane switches a good cleaning and applying some conductive paint to worn pads.)

I'm not that good in the modding department, and my DS phat was just out of warranty. As for selling it, No, I haven't. Instead, I lend it to people when someone who doesn't have a DS wants to join in on multiplayer. (Which I think is still making good use out of the handheld. ^_^)

-God Ginrai

dealextreme sells replacement buttons for 3$, its a reasonably easy replacement.
also, ironically, i bought a ds lite because my phats screen cracked, and so far i haven't had any problems with my lite for 2 years.

Back