GP32 Creating A New Game-console. Homebrew Project

mr.mirko

Certified Guru
Website
mirkoroller.de
Still waiting for gp64 ?

Why wait, lets create our owne open source Gaming machine.

Total cost, under 100Euro, 4xspeed of current gp32, SD-card slot !

Interested ??? Read on...

I found some nice parts, to build the ultimative open source Gaming machine.

CPU: SAMSUNG's S3C2440X 16/32-bit RISC microprocessor. ARM9TDMI core.
RAM: 64 or 128MB SD-RAM.
LCD: 16:9 TFT, nothing selectet at this stage.
SOUND: Simple DAC(like gp32), or real Soundchip, not choosen yet.

The SAMSUNG's S3C2440X chip, is a little computer chip, offering so many things, that you can call it a single chip computer. Only connect TFT and RAM to it, and you have your little machine ready to run.
The S3C2440X offers some nice things, like:
- up to 500Mhz CPU clock, at 1.3V
- External memory controller (SDRAM Control and Chip Select logic)
- LCD controller (up to 4K color STN and 256K color TFT) with 1-ch LCD-dedicated DMA
- SD Host interface version 1.0 & Multi-Media Card Protocol version 2.11 compatible
- IIC-Bus Interface, IIS-Bus Interface, 2-port USB Host, SPI Interface,
- NAND Flash Boot Loader, 4KB internal buffer for booting. (enought to init SD card and load a boot.elf from there)

So, what do you think ?
Is it possible to create a new Homebrew machine ? Tatally free ?
I think yes, this machine would rock. Its easy to design, and the layout is easy to create with eagle. It only needs some cheap parts, a good layout, and a good case. And psp can go home.

comments ?

Chips pdf: http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconduc...v006-031015.pdf

sounds good, but a problem would be getting the pcb's in low stacks they are pricy, i think you need at least 50-100 to get a ok price, also i think samsung only ships from 10k.

but i would definality want to build/boy one, even it it comes out at 200$, now to the other specs :)

i think we should definality put in 16 or more mb flash, 128mb ram (hell sdram is cheap, no reason to stay with 64mb), at least 3,3" tft (arent they damn expenive when you only buy a few?) oh yeah, touchscreen! the same screen the gp uses is also availible with touch. 4 +lr +start/select, microphone (why not, only a few cent and we have enugh analog inputs to waste). and for sure some kind of tv out, but it looks like you nee a extra fpga for that.

sounds good, but a problem would be getting the pcb's in low stacks they are pricy, i think you need at least 50-100 to get a ok price, also i think samsung only ships from 10k.

okay, some things to find out,
how mutch is the chip ?
how mutch is 64MB ram chip ?
how much is TFT/LCD ?
someone needs to design a case for it, and how mutch is it ?

how mutch is a pcb+soldering parts at ~100 pices.

I dont think, that this all together would be more then 100Euro.

Last edited by a moderator:
lets write a mail to samsung, they have all parts we need, iam sure it gets cheaper if we order evrything form them :) also a molding set costs arround 150$, and a liter of the plstic stuff arround 10 or something.
if we can get this of iam sure i would invest some money in it to get it started.

do you write a mail to samsung or should i?

hm yeah sounds really nice :)
i would buy/build one 4 sure :p just need some money first but i should be able to get that together :)

hm yeah LCD`s are damm expensive if you buy only one.... thats the biggest problem.
(besides the case and the layout)

i just searched for a LCD at a big german elektronic store.
Not the cheapest place, i know but just that you know what such a thing costs if you buy it alone.
If we could buy some gamepark screens, that would be the best way ;)

http://www1.conrad.de/scripts/wgate/zcop_b...age_to_display=

@vimacs

i think a tuchscreen would be really expensive...
mic and ram should be no problem if you order some.

Edit: The link does not work :/ dont ask me why xD
But it was a 4" LCD and the price was 179€

conrad is allways expensive, and no touchscreen isnt much more expensive, you can even just buy the foil and a controller wich costs about 20$ max and use it at a regular screen.

ok then with touchscreen ;)
we could order all parts we need from samsung :p looks like they got everything we need to build this device... the question is: will they sell us this parts if we order just 100 :/

well vimacs ask them :) ill be on board :)

Personally, I'd go for something like this:

CPU:
bd_pxa27x.gif

RAM: 64Mb Low power 100Mhz SD-RAM

FLASH: 1Mb Intel StrataFlash for OS (Could be Linux, switchable, or custom)

SOUND: AC97

LCD: VGA capable 16-bit LCD

GFX: 256kb SRAM on CPU with dual overlays to reduce LCD bandwidth, plus Intel Wireless MMX™ technology (supporting QVGA and VGA, so emulation of older systems need not waste processor power stretching the display to fit the LCD).

Memory card: Dual 4-bit SD I/O

Possibly a touch screen?

okay, that idea sounds good, but where to get the money from? For a first go you have to build at least 500-1000 pieces. It sounds so easy here, but why nobody else ever did that before? design a good case needs a pro and some one to build it... I bet a custom made handheld will cost at least $300, feel free to prove me wrong.

Okay, things to use, at this point:

Samsung S3C2440X ( Main CPU )
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconduc...0X/S3C2440X.htm

S524AB0XB1 32K / 64K-bit Serial EEPROM for Low Power ( 8KB Flash for Booting )
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconduc.../S524AB0XB1.htm
Dont know how expensive this chip is, or is it better to use a NAND chip ?

K4S51323PF , 4M x 32Bit x 4 Banks Mobile-SDRAM ( 64MB 133Mhz SD-ram, 1.8V )
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconduc.../K4S51323PF.htm

other parts, open,
LCD Display : ???
CASE: ???

okay, that idea sounds good, but where to get the money from? For a first go you have to build at least 500-1000 pieces. It sounds so easy here, but why nobody else ever did that before? design a good case needs a pro and some one to build it... I bet a custom made handheld will cost at least $300, feel free to prove me wrong.

I cant proove you wrong, couse i never build something like this, only some Atmel 8 Bit cpu boards.

The problem really sounds the money, couse the desing is easy. But at this stage we dont know anything about the cost. The first step is to find out, what parts are needed. The second part is the layout of the board. Then this prototype must be testeted, and if it works. You must decide, how mutch units you want to make. Contact a firm in asia to make it for you, and sell it here.

I think for a nice little Homebrew project its not to expensive, and if we get later 100 or 1000 units, the cost should be low.

But who can tell you ? We are at stage ONE !

How do you use a serial-based EEPROM as a boot flash? Since the default state of r15 on reset is either 0x0 or 0xFFFF0000 (depending on VINITHI or CFGHIVECS pins), wouldn't you need flash that is capable of sitting on the address bus along with the ram?

How do you use a serial-based EEPROM as a boot flash? Since the default state of r15 on reset is either 0x0 or 0xFFFF0000 (depending on VINITHI or CFGHIVECS pins), wouldn't you need flash that is capable of sitting on the address bus along with the ram?

shure, this is wrong...

I can't follow the specs, but I would sell my granny for one, or to be a beta tester etc.

I'm excited now, you can't let me down....

lets say parts are 100$ and say we can only get a stock from at least 100, looks like we either would need a credit or taking binding preorders.
well first problem is knowing wich part we will use so we can ask for the prices.

to the specs, i would say basicialy follow the ones of a gp, maybe we could only make the boards and stick them in gp cases so you keep your screen and case, would be the easyest way. or if we can set this in stone iam sure i can find someone to do cases for us. but the cases are realy the last problem.

Seeing as it's the Germans here who are mostly contemplating this, maybe we should have a German meet, and put our heads together with it all?

Oh, and I'll make the tea! Oder koche die Würste!!!

But yes, I'll put my order in now! Just give me FFvii, goldeneye, and snes, and I'll even sing for you too!

lets say parts are 100$ and say we can only get a stock from at least 100, looks like we either would need a credit or taking binding preorders.
well first problem is knowing wich part we will use so we can ask for the prices.

to the specs, i would say basicialy follow the ones of a gp, maybe we could only make the boards and stick them in gp cases so you keep your screen and case, would be the easyest way. or if we can set this in stone iam sure i can find someone to do cases for us. but the cases are realy the last problem.

Yes, true, give me a day to read the specs more closely, and decide what samsung parts are useable for the project.

Using the old gp32 case would be nice, but the case question is really the last one, first the hardware.

A project Homepage, with binding preorder button will help getting the money... But its to early to talk about this... First the Hardware ...

in my own experience manufacturing cases is the biggest pain in the ass! i think the idea of using the current GP32 case is quite prime, but for SNES EMU will you not need another two buttons?

besides figuring the key components out, some experts will be needed (engineers) to put the thing together ... as well as write the firmware, etc. it's a lot to organize.

as far as money goes, maybe something like http://www.fundable.org/ could get the ball rolling.

Have i got that right? When you have a working prototype, you´ll distribute sets of parts along with the plans and we can build them at Home?
Because you won´t possibly solder them all alone and then ship them to us :p ...

OK, if you´ve got something working i´m the first to preorder.

Oh, and please make it as similar to the GP32 as possible, so it is easy to port the major apps... No point in having a unique powerful Handheld without any progs for it ;)

And what about the power supply? I would propose to just take a common PDA battery, since they´re easy to get.

Back