Psp Killing Gp32 Homebrew Scene ?

EvilDragon posted on May 16 2005 at 05:36 PM said:
But emulationwise: I'm betatester for Rlyehs emus. And though they're not out for you yet, these are the best emulators I've ever seen on any system (including PC).

your really enjoying teasing us aren't you

really living up to your name there ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's gonna kill the GP32.

Yes, the PSP is nicer and more powerful.

But emulationwise: I'm betatester for Rlyehs emus. And though they're not out for you yet, these are the best emulators I've ever seen on any system (including PC).

It really makes fun playing Coleco or GB fullspeed with sound being sooo close to the original, without a single crack or anything else.

Why should I take a large PSP with me, when the GP32 can do the same, but is smaller?

Okay, PSP is better for newer systems like SNES, but GP32 is smaller :)

Same for homebrew:
There are already lots of good, small homebrew apps for GP32. I have fun playing them. And I will have fun even if I have a PSP.

That and the Screen res is pretyy much perfect on the GP32 for emus. Everything on PSP will need to be scaled making it fuzzy.

Plus the PSP display is real slow causing many things to smear on it. Side scrollers will be the worst offender and old systems are mostly side scrollers.

It will still be cool to have though, but I don't know why it would replace the GP32 completely. Once an emu is 100%, like many GP32 emus are and will be after fDay, it is 100%. The PSP won't run emus at 120%.

And the PSP is locked at 220 Mhz not 333 because of battery life.

zodiac gp32 killer?

me doth think that the gp has proved itself as its own man :)

and yes i have a psp with 1.0 firmware, offers taken Pm me if interested

c0ncept posted on May 16 2005 at 08:02 PM said:

your really enjoying teasing us aren't you

really living up to your name there ;)

Haha, it's not my intention :)
But I just couldn't believe my own eyes (and ears :)) when I saw these - and everytime I hear "the xyz is killing the GP32" these emulators come to my mind... and I remember you guys WILL get them when they're finished, even if it's a quiet time at the moment :)

Last edited:
Jarska333 posted on May 17 2005 at 03:17 AM said:
People... C=64 ain't dead. Think about it. B)

So true.
No computer, console or otherwise is dead until literally no one is using it any more and no one is even talking about it.

For that reason, our beloved GP32 won't die for a very long time.

gp32_console forever.

DaveC posted on May 16 2005 at 06:06 PM said:
I don't think it's gonna kill the GP32.

Yes, the PSP is nicer and more powerful.

It really makes fun playing Coleco or GB fullspeed with sound being sooo close to the original, without a single crack or anything else.

Why should I take a large PSP with me, when the GP32 can do the same, but is smaller?

Okay, PSP is better for newer systems like SNES, but GP32 is smaller :)

Same for homebrew:
There are already lots of good, small homebrew apps for GP32. I have fun playing them. And I will have fun even if I have a PSP.

That and the Screen res is pretyy much perfect on the GP32 for emus. Everything on PSP will need to be scaled making it fuzzy.

Plus the PSP display is real slow causing many things to smear on it. Side scrollers will be the worst offender and old systems are mostly side scrollers.

It will still be cool to have though, but I don't know why it would replace the GP32 completely. Once an emu is 100%, like many GP32 emus are and will be after fDay, it is 100%. The PSP won't run emus at 120%.

from what i've heard, no one noticed much ghosting/blurring when playing gbc and snes games by the emulators. and if psp hacking really gets far, who's to stop the production of hacked firmware with uncapped cpu fsb?

DaveC posted on May 16 2005 at 06:06 PM said:
That and the Screen res is pretyy much perfect on the GP32 for emus.  Everything on PSP will need to be scaled making it fuzzy. 

Plus the PSP display is real slow causing many things to smear on it.  Side scrollers will be the worst offender and old systems are mostly side scrollers.

It will still be cool to have though, but I don't know why it would replace the GP32 completely.  Once an emu is 100%, like many GP32 emus are and will be after fDay, it is 100%.  The PSP won't run emus at 120%.

*tsk tsk tsk* Dave Dave. Always so negative and speculative... at the same time. Always inspires me to write LONG posts. I can tell you right now you are a bit off on some of your speculation. Just from playing around with the NES, GBA and SNES emu's today I can tell a few things. #1, due to the PSP's incredibly sharp resolution, games look GREAT even when screen stretched. The Gameboy emu has options for 1x, 1.5x and 2x screen stretching and looked pixel perfect in each mode, and did not look 'fuzzy' at all, it was VERY sharp. Nor did it exibit any of that annoying 'shimmer' effect... I dont know how to describe it except when you screen stretch the emu and details in the background seem to shimmer as the screen scrolls... I see this a lot for instance in fSMS on Game Gear games when I stretch them to full screen. I didn't see this on the PSP emu's.

Secondly, out of all three emu's I did not notice dark colors blurring the way I do with dark PSP games, I played Mario 3 on NES, Mario 3 on Mario Allstars on the SNES, and Mario Land 2 on GB, all three sidescrollers with lots of alternating dark and light colors and I would say blurring was NOT a problem.

Third, the PSP is not 'locked' at 222mhz. You're misreading the info on this. As far as I've read there is no hardware 'lock', rather, it is what programmers are sticking with as they are developing games right now. I dont know if Sony is requiring it, or are forcing it by not allowing the dev kits to access the higher speeds yet, or if it's a choice the devs are making themselves, but the hardware itself is not 'locked'. I dont know how this applies to games running as pbp's off of the memory stick, but I'm betting they can easily run whatever clockspeed they want or need to make the app run (up to the 333 of course though maybe we'll see apps allow you to OC the CPU just like on the GP?). You also can't compare the PSP' 222mhz to a GP32 at 220mhz. With the additional chips it has (a seperate graphics processor among other things) and 4x the RAM it will definately be no sweat for the PSP's emu's to out perform the GP32's.

Yeah you're right on one thing, for the emu's that already run 100% on the GP32 there is no advantage to playing them on the PSP really, but I think most of us are thinking ahead to the emu's that ARENT 100% on the GP32, namely SNES, possibly Neo Geo, and a much more advanced version of MAME. Heck even as awesome as DrMD is, it still does run a pretty heavy frame skip on many games to achieve full speed... so there's even hope that on PSP we'll have ALL games running full 60fps full time. But even for the games that run fine on GP32, there's one fact that makes the PSP versions more desirable to play... they just LOOK better on the PSP screen...

That's one thing you didn't speculate on but I feel worth mentioning... the picture QUALITY on the PSP is just friggin outstanding. The colors were very bright and vivid and the contrast even on the lowest brightness setting was fantastic... all three emu's really looked amazing other than the frame skipping. I have a BLU+ which has a great LCD but sorry the picture and color quality of the PSP still blows it away.

Actually, there is one other reason I think stands out that makes emulation on the PSP more desirable... it comes with WiFi capabilities already built in... so multiplayer capable emu's should be a much more common feature. Oh and having a few extra buttons and a built in Li-Ion battery (which will most likely give GREAT battery life when your not running the UMD at all... I'd expect at least 8-10 hours to a full charge vs. my GP's 4ish hours on rechargeable AA's) certainly don't hurt :)

score !!
great comeback
I was gonna say about half that, but I couldn't have made it as nice as you did

I just wanna emphasize on a few things
1) screen on PSP = ownage
2) Battery of the PSP at 220-333 = better than my GP that runs at 220
3) Wifi rocks
4) and what about opensource games? Wait until we get Quake 2 on the PSP, or maybe 3 when they release the engine to the public, then youll see more homebrew, I know that using Quake 3's skeleton system and 16-32bit color, dynamic lighting, particles, and a hell of a lot more documentation than Quake one, at least 1 person will be inclined to make a game on the PSP from Quake 3 (Ill have to for college over the next 2 years)

~Octavious

O ya, seperate chipsets = powerful machine

White Demon posted on May 17 2005 at 01:18 AM said:
Jarska333 posted on May 17 2005 at 03:17 AM said:
People... C=64 ain't dead. Think about it. B)

So true.
No computer, console or otherwise is dead until literally no one is using it any more and no one is even talking about it.

For that reason, our beloved GP32 won't die for a very long time.

gp32_console forever.

My C64 is dead, damned tape deck

why is everyone talkign about hacking v1.5 of the firmware

surely SONY are not oblivious to the fact people are hacking it so they will probably patch it and then we're fucked again

mattmagoo said:
surely SONY are not oblivious to the fact people are hacking it so they will probably patch it and then we're fucked again

Knowing sony, if it helps them sell some more psp's, they dont care a toss.

Nova posted on May 28 2005 at 06:46 PM said:
mattmagoo said:

They seem to caring a lot of tosses... :(

mattmagoo posted on May 28 2005 at 06:46 PM said:
They will care, because NOW its just homebrew, but tomorrow it will be cracked commercial games, Or a better videoplayer that makes buying Video UMD´s pointless etc, etc.

Remember how most console manufacturers make money: Create a powerful console and sell it at cost or even at a loss to get it sold, and then make money on royalties & licensing. Sony will be making money on every game sold, so they'll want to keep the developers happy and keep game hacking out of the equation.

Kop_007 posted on May 29 2005 at 03:37 PM said:
It's a pity that the threat of piracy is ruining our homebrew holes.
yep especially when some home brew are emulators that let us play "backup" game roms..... erm mmm let me rethink this..................

1.5 firmware will more than likely eventually be cracked, any updates will more than likely also be cracked. I just wonder why they try to delay the inevetible, just let it be cracked and forget about it. Of all the people that bought psps, what maybe 1 or 2% will actually use it for homebrew and emulation?

yeah, but if that new loader or whatever gets released it'll be more than 1-2% thanks to the ability to play backups off a mem stick

well, are there drives for pc to run mini discs? How would you get the info off of the UMD without something other than a psp to read UMD or can the PSP be used via USB to act as a drive to get the info off a UMD to your pc or memory stick??

Back