GP32 Creating A New Game-console. Homebrew Project

LCD: Touch-screen, like the Zodiac one...
Also, I think it would be wise to add a 3D-accelerator chip of some kind, as that's what the GP32 lacks...

EDIT:I forgot to mention the CPU made by AMD: a 86x processor @ 0,98W made for handhelds... Might be something. Costs about 40-50$...

Or we could hook up some virtual reality goggles to it (and then have a meetup with dozends of geeks with virtual goggles scaring the ppl)!
vr-morry-small.jpg

As for the 3D accelteration: Close to impossible because those chips are rather uncommon, i dont think it´d be possible to get some in small batches. More likely a coprocessor with ~66MHz that could be used for rendering, but no real 3D accelteration :( I think it would make the layout too complicated...

Someone very known in this gp32 scene, offers me some financial support.
No its not gp.
CraigX?

Attachments

• vr-morry-small.jpg
    vr-morry-small.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited by a moderator:
this gets more and more intresting... qtopia or opie running on it would be awesome, then it must have a touchscreen ;).
hehe if we get this working it would be the ultimate homebrew PDA and Gaming Device.

PS: what about a tv/vga out? i dont really need it, but it would be nice to use it while your home ;)

rgb out would be better (hook it up to arcade cabinet :) ) also an external pinout for duplicating the controls would be brilliant for this purpose, ie there's a small ext connector (1 pin for each button and ground of cause) which is the same as pressing the button on the unit (running off the same tracks but with a comon ground). it would also allow an external control (mp3 remote?) and would be no problem at all to implant because it would only be a few tracks!

LCD: Touch-screen, like the Zodiac one...
Also, I think it would be wise to add a 3D-accelerator chip of some kind, as that's what the GP32 lacks...

EDIT:I forgot to mention the CPU made by AMD: a 86x processor @ 0,98W made for handhelds... Might be something. Costs about 40-50$...

i dont think a non samsung µc is a opton, it simply offers the most for the price and its easy to build a handheld arround it. a 3d accerlator is not needed at all, just a fpu would be nice.

Someone very known in this gp32 scene, offers me some financial support.
is it craigix? :)

edit:wow 3 posts nearly in the same second :)

It sounds like an awesome idea...
(The only thing that would stop me from buying it, would be Windows CE and/or no Linux compability...)
Could pay 300$ or a bit more/less for it...

Two Samsung processors, then?
The GP one for assistance, maybe, and the one Mirko suggested for main processor?

One of those external batteries? I wouldn't mind!

It's Me, actually, I'm gonna be funding this project!

Well, we´ll not use AA batteries :lol:
If you have a look at current PPC´s you´ll see that those overpowered devices actually HAVE short battery lifetime. But with "only" 400 MHz and a wide array of battery solutions to choose from, it should be possible to find a decent power supply. About 6 hrs. should be possible...

But this is one of the last things to worry about.

The chip is getting cooler and cooler.

LINUX is already running on this chip,
QTOPIA has already been ported to this chip !!!

http://www.arm.co.kr/solution/1__s09.php

http://www.trolltech.com/screenshots/qtopia.html
OK, so it´s decided. We need touchscreen.

¢¹A/D Converter & Touch Screen Interface
8-ch multiplexed ADC
Max. 500KSPS and 10-bit Resolution
Internal FET for direct Touch screen interface

Qtopia looks impressive, on which devices does it run normally? I never heard of it before... :unsure:
You can flash a couple of iPaq devices with it. Also, it is the main OS on Archos' latest product...
It's very user friendly and is based on Embedded Linux...

I like the idea of the homebrew console..

but noone talked about lighting yet it seems.. would the screen be back lit ?

well i think the gp cpu is nearly the same like the cpu we want to use.
u see this "whole computer chip" has almost everything you need inside the chip, and so does the gp32 cpu.

wow yesterday mir.mirko came up with this idea, today he has already found someone who will give him/us financial support.

:)

Two Samsung processors, then?
The GP one for assistance, maybe, and the one Mirko suggested for main processor?
the one we are going to use (th one mirko sugested) is compatible to gp32, just minor diffrences that should be patchable on the fly, with some pseudo emulator/mapper.

As long as the batteries are not built-in rechargable ones, I don't mind...
What´s wrong with them? We could always change them, and i don´t see any alternatives.
Actually an array of 3 AA´s could provide enough power, but would only last for ~10 minutes (tried it with my Zod when it was new and i had no appropriate charger)

Back