GP32 Creating A New Game-console. Homebrew Project

and most likely doesn't contain a memory controller, lcd controller, sound, sd card controller, etc, like the one Mirko has chosen does, so these will all have to be external. Huge complexity and high price will come soon afterwards.

Yup.
That´s why the Resolution- question is so difficult.

Choose a better resolution, and scaling would be needed, which is either ugly(without smoothing) or slow (with smoothing).

Choose the same resolution as the GP, and the screen looks either pixelated or is small.

Multimedia and PC ports would greatly benefit from hires... That would be sooo nice :) .

Wouldn´t it be possible to add a small coprocessor that just runs the resizing/smoothing algorithms?

About the sound chip; Have you chosen one yet?
www.analog.com has a lot of chips, but I don't think they're vey cheap...
Anyway, IMO the sound chip shouldn't be too bad (like the GP32's...), as good sound quality really adds another dimension to the games...

P.S. The sound chip of the GP probably isn't at all bad for being made in 2001, but including it in a new console would be quite low...
The GP hasn´t a dedicated soundchip at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about adding a tiny touchpad like the ones you have on your laptop? I don't know how much they cost but you can buy them pre-fab with controller etc. It could be a simple and cost-effective replacement for a mouse to use with linux in the absence of touchscreen. I doubt you can find one that's small enough to be usable in a handheld, but take the gp32 for example. If you place a rectangular touchpad under the stick, where the start button and left speaker is, you could use your thumb to move a cursor (and a/b for left/right mouse button). I think it would be a very intuitive and natural way to use opie in landscape mode.

Don't know if it's possible or even accurate enough, but who knows :)

hmm i dont now.. the chatboard is not very handy :-/
best thing would be touchscreen, your idea about those small thing is ok but i dont think the console has enough space for this. BUt while reading your post i got the idea of the other Laptop Mouse, this small things which behaves like kind of analog stick and you press with your finger in one direction, something like this under the D-Pad would be the best i think, but im still hoping for a touchscreen... please ;)

You mean a 'clitoris' :)

A trackball would also be a valid option I suppose, but difficult to realise and keep clean.

I reckon a trackball would be cool. You can get some that clip on the edge of laptops, and others that are 'thumb' controlled, and look like a big ring with a trigger. A console with a trackball would be sweet :).

yeah something like that would be really nice.. but isnt it easier to just add a tuchscreen -foil ??? and cheaper ?

i think integrating a trackball or tuchpad in the case would be hard to realise and much work.

and the "clitoris" is nothing else but a normal dpad... at least you cant use it in another way :/

I'm very very excited with this fANtAstIc idea (a GP32 but more powerFULL).

Full Amiga 500 emulation will be posible & a lot of another things :)

Good Luck Mr. Mirko & Team with this fantastic project wich I am sure that it will be obtained & I'm Sure finally buy this console.

Un Saludo.

Excuse me?

You can see the pin layout in the pdf at chapter,
Table 1-2 S3c2440x 289-Pin FBGA Pin Assignments (Sheet 1 of 9) until page 9

which chapter mr.mikro ???

i would be glad to help :)

Edit: Got it ;) ill look @ it when i have time :)

Hey Mirko,

I like how you have split the pins up into there peripheral sections - will make things much easier to find when doing the schematic. I've never thought of doing them that way before.

Hey Mirko,

I like how you have split the pins up into there peripheral sections - will make things much easier to find when doing the schematic. I've never thought of doing them that way before.

hehe, was a little tricky, couse some pins come with 3 different functions... :)

Now i must design the memory chip ... Only 50 pins ... Puhhhhh....

Cool, should make it easier to design the hardware, and you can pinch stuff from the schematics and stuff :)

Back