Current statistics and some predictions

So I believe we have enough preorders now to get the new touchscreen on the first batch of preorders correct? :p

@FaeMinx I was just saying, yeah, being broke sucks, and when shit happens it can prolong that.

I didn't realise this is a thing. Batman did not suggest that - sorry, @Klumpen. I wonder if it would be usefull on the surface of a handheld. Wouldn't it wear off qickly? Also, it doesn't look as if it is readily available.
We have at least one thread about it, I think, and it comes up frequently when we discuss case color. I can't remember how it is made, but I think it must be grown/formed/applied to metal, so it wouldn't work for us. I can't remember anything about durability, although it will be used on military equipment, if it isn't already. It may not be available to a project of this size, or to consumers.

It was discussed here two years ago already and maybe would even work as a heat-spreader.
https://www.pyra-handheld.com/board...colour-as-an-option.74896/page-3#post-1319040

i don't think it works that way. their method of application is suited for temperature sensitive stuff, but being painted vanta black wouldn't help you spread heat, unless you're in a dark room. (at least, from a physics perspective, a perfect black body is also a perfect radiator, but if there's any incident radiation your black body is probably going to heat up.) my black laptop felt like it was about to melt once when i was biking to work; i had forgotten to zip up my backpack all the way, and enough sunlight got in to make that feel pretty toasty.

[edit] it's why batman works at night.

Venta's blackness seems to come from the arrangement of tiny nanotubes. So then I doubt it should radiate any more heat than a 'normal' black surface does. In fact the tubes may trap heat (convection), the way that hair or insulation fibers do, so it is likely even worse at dissipating heat.

It also sounds very delicate. If you touch it, the nanotubes would be knocked out of alignment and it either returns to being 'normal' black or crumbles away. Imagine trying to paint something with glitter and this is probably 1000x worse, it would get everywhere. And to get that special alignment means it couldn't be sprayed onto or mixed into moulded plastic.

And probably nobody can afford the stuff, and it requires some kind of an export permit as well.

I'll leave imaginary jesus the thankless task of saving Penny and her clones.
If memory serves me right, it was always Brain that saved Penny... pretty sure I do not remember her having clones...
penny_gadget_brain.jpeg
[doublepost=1463272349,1463272263][/doublepost]Also: Brain is a dog... how did that metamice get in the image?

It also sounds very delicate. If you touch it, the nanotubes would be knocked out of alignment and it either returns to being 'normal' black or crumbles away.
Source ?
It's just an educated guess. I'd be concerned about that, too. On the other hand it might very well be that those tubes are so tightly packed and their structure is that strong, that on a macro level the surface turns out to be quite resilient. Who knows?

If I remember correctly, vanta black can be grown at home, with things easily obtainable. But I may be wrong.

I know you can make carbon nanotubes with plastic shopping bags, a pressure vessel, and a kiln.

It's just an educated guess. I'd be concerned about that, too. On the other hand it might very well be that those tubes are so tightly packed and their structure is that strong, that on a macro level the surface turns out to be quite resilient. Who knows?

Yeah I just guessed, but as it turns out "Vantablack surface is easily damaged by any direct impact or abrasion"
https://www.surreynanosystems.com/vantablack/faqs

They seem to also produce a spray-on substance which is a little more durable but much less black because the nanotubes aren't aligned that way.

Yes, because two of those three things are definitely things everyone just has lying around their home. :p
Well my mom did, because she's an artist. Either way it's definitely easier than most of these tyoes of developments.
[doublepost=1463317329,1463316881][/doublepost]
Would a beer keg on a bonfire work? :p
No but if you milled out a cylinder of steel and made a pressure vessel that should work.

If ventablack is really as black, wouldn't mixing it into the plastic produce the same effect, provided the particles left no gaps to see through?

How does ventablack behave, I'm assuming its just one compound and not a description. Can it be bought in bulk?

If ventablack is really as black, wouldn't mixing it into the plastic produce the same effect, provided the particles left no gaps to see through?

How does ventablack behave, I'm assuming its just one compound and not a description. Can it be bought in bulk?
Apparently they don't sell it to the general public.

@comradekingu It's a structural thing that makes it absorb almost all incoming light. And this structure needs to be grown on the product at 400 °C.

@comradekingu It's a structural thing that makes it absorb almost all incoming light. And this structure needs to be grown on the product at 400 °C.
Does this also apply to Vantablack S-VIS?

What is Vantablack?
Vantablack is not a black paint, pigment or fabric, but is instead a functionalised ‘forest’ of millions upon millions of incredibly small tubes made of carbon, or carbon nanotubes. Each nanotube in the vantablack forest has a diameter of around 20 nanometres (that’s about 3,500 times smaller than the diameter of the average human hair), and are typically from around 14 microns to 50 microns long. A surface area of 1 cm2 would contain around 1,000 million nanotubes.

What is Vantablack S-VIS?
Vantablack S-VIS is a variation of the original Vantablack coating that is deposited using a spray based process, and has been said to be the world’s blackest paint. Again, it is manufactured from carbon nanotubes, but unlike original Vantablack, they are very short, and once chemically bound together they form an open coral-like structure that is highly efficient at trapping EM energy. In parts of the electromagnetic spectrum Vantablack S-VIS is not as dark as the original Vantablack, but in the visible spectrum it is very difficult to know which is which when viewed side-by-side. At shallow grazing angles it can become even darker than the original. This feature makes it very suitable for complex 3D objects such as baffles and cold shields.

Please note that Vantablack S-VIS is not available in a spray can or in solution for people to apply themselves as it requires complex post processing to achieve its high levels of absorption.

[...]

How is Vantablack made?
Vantablack is actually “grown” in a specially designed Chemical Vapour Deposition chamber under an array of powerful lamps that raise the surface temperature to 430ºC or higher to allow the nanotube forest to grow. So light itself is used in the production of the world’s darkest substance! A sprayable version of Vantablack is also available, called Vantablack S-VIS.
Source: https://www.surreynanosystems.com/vantablack/faqs

Back