Current statistics and some predictions

I dismissed it, because not the real deal:
They also state, that in the (for humans) visible spectrum it doesn't really make a difference, it only makes a difference when it's about certain technology that isn't about the human eye.

@Klumpen Hm-kay, obviously I dismissed it to quickly.
Let's see, it also is a coating, but while simpler applied - according to what you quoted - it requires complex post processing. Since @comradekingu asked for it being used as an additive to the plastic for the case, we are still not provided with a way to do that.
My guess for now would be, to have the density required we'd need to add that much of it, that the case would lose its structural integrity. And then (after the mold injection) we'd have no way to do the complex post processing. But as I said just a guess.
Additionally it might be that those short nanotubes used in the spray need to be held in some kind of liquid carrier substance, which might make it inappropriate as an additive. I do not know about that - just a consideration.
[doublepost=1463330575,1463326445][/doublepost]Furthermore even if some form of Vantablack could be used as an additive and light entering the case material would be mostly absorb, I'd expect the case's surface to still have a significant (by comparison) amount of shinyness - matte or glossy depending on the finish. Could be a good looking design by itself, though.

@Djoga'Ro I'd only see it feasible as an outer coating for the device and not as an additive inside of the plastic. Since a layer of paint would change the measurements of the molds, having the inside "regular black" (or whatever, maybe even white for contrast) and the outer shell "vanta black" could work.

How does ventablack behave, I'm assuming its just one compound and not a description. Can it be bought in bulk?
Vantablack is carbon nanotubes standing straight up and packed tight together. It's only so black because of how they're arranged. It's not a paint you can spread on, or pigment that you can just add to something, it needs to be "grown" on the surface of whatever you want to use it.

edit: whoops, there was a second page of answers already. Nevermind.
On the subject, however, "highly efficient at trapping EM energy"
If you thought the Pandora had bad wifi, wait till you see what happens when you coat a Pyra in a material that intentionally blocks the signal. :p

Vantablack is carbon nanotubes standing straight up and packed tight together. It's only so black because of how they're arranged. It's not a paint you can spread on, or pigment that you can just add to something, it needs to be "grown" on the surface of whatever you want to use it.
sounds just like my 5 o'clock shadow, which is a lot less like Vantablack than it used to be when I was younger.

@Klumpen Would be nice to know then, how resilient the sprayed on Vantablack would be and what the costs are.

@WizardStan You missed the point. This is about looks, not function.
EDIT: I guess, I missed the point to. It shouldn't matter, whether the surface is sensitive to the touch.

650-trees.jpg

Last edited:
It isnt that impressive in hindsight. It has 2 screens. One is like a tablet: portrait, the small one is landscape. It has way less keys than the Pyra... but I guess the screen could be a touchsceen ?

Perhaps not, It'd still be a damned impressive styling for an outer case for the Pyra though. :) Perhaps with the ports hidden behind a flap, so that when nothing is plugged in it looks exactly like the spine of a book.

-Neelix

"Any color as long as it's black."

"You can do it your own way, if it's done just how I say." - Metallica, Eye of the Beholder

The difficulty of distinguishing between colors in black and white pictures is probably why so many people aren't aware of that.

How informed, therein lies the question.

I regard 'informed' satanists the same way I regard 'true' christians.

The real question of course, is are they aware of the mice...
Informed as in being aware that we were already passed the serial number 666, before the preorder's number got there, as @rygD pointed out to me. I'm not sure how much/many mice are involved, though.

Back