D-pad Mods Available From Evildragons Shop Now!

Stop me if I'm confused.

This D-Pad mod - it is the one with "GP2X" engraved on the concave side with a semi-circular neck that fits the GP2X's semi-circular stick?

I'm concerned. You see, my GP2X from gp2x.co.uk came with that very D-Pad mod. It was working well until, one day, the mod began to rotate about the stick. I'd have to pull off the D-Pad then re-seat it with the correct orientation, otherwise pressing left was a dead-zone. I know this sounds absurd since the stick itself cannot be rotated, but this really happened.

Because of this, I finally went back to the default stick.

Are we talking about the same mod?

vaustein posted on Mar 25 2007 at 05:58 PM said:
Stop me if I'm confused.

This D-Pad mod - it is the one with "GP2X" engraved on the concave side with a semi-circular neck that fits the GP2X's semi-circular stick?

I'm concerned. You see, my GP2X from gp2x.co.uk came with that very D-Pad mod. It was working well until, one day, the mod began to rotate about the stick. I'd have to pull off the D-Pad then re-seat it with the correct orientation, otherwise pressing left was a dead-zone. I know this sounds absurd since the stick itself cannot be rotated, but this really happened.

Because of this, I finally went back to the default stick.

Are we talking about the same mod?

No, different thing. What you are talking about is merely an alternative joystick cap. It's not a dpad at all. This DaveC mod here replaces the entire stick mechanism with a digital pad mechanism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent! Please remind me one more time when more of these D-Pad mods will be available for purchase?

The stick is pretty much useless to me, As it bumps the plastic. Putting in a bit of paper is only a temp fix, And sometimes makes it worse.
Right now I don't even use a cap. :)
I would be using my gp2x a lot more if not for the stick.

So, D-Pad sounds great to me, Problem is, I'm in the US, and after shipping the cost is more then the three 1GB SD cards and one 2GB that I've bought for my gp2x.

Is there any way I could just get the kit from within the US?
I'm not afraid to open up my gp2x, Already popped it open to fix the headphone jack; It was barely soldered in!

Thanks,
-Arch

Now, because I'm not the steadiest of hands, I'd need to ship it overseas. How much would the whole shabang, with click-stick cost if I were to send it from Canada? I can do any conversions so whatever currency makes it easiest to quote.

My total costs:

Payments to gp2x.de
DaveC Dpad mod - MK1 - including installation + stick-click button = 31.09 Euros
Return Shipping - 29 euros

Total to gp2x.de - 60.09 euros

My shipping costs to get it to Germany from Virginia, USA (in american dollars)
Padded envelope - $1.09
Shipping to Germany (4-10 days) - $17.50
Insurance - $3.80

Total with tax - $22.39

In other words, it ain't cheap!!

Also, is there any feasible way to install a D-Pad mod without soldering? (I can't solder worth a f-ck).

If not - and I am 100% serious about this - would you offer a new GP2X MK2 with D-Pad mod already installed and no other accessories? What would be the price in Euros + shipping? This would be a neat way to support the cause of GP2X proliferation, and it's a serious value add over the default GP2X MK2.

EDIT: What is the procedure to ship my GP2X to gp2x.de to have the D-Pad mod installed?

Believe it or not, the only thing that's preventing me from getting this is the lack of stick click, I use it all the time in the menus, I'm used to it.

And yes, I know that it's a stupid thing, but it bothers me, and I know that ED can replace it with a button, but it's not the same...

I find the click-stick to be an annoyance, especially as you need to push the stick down-over for directions due to its height.

Nova posted on Mar 28 2007 at 05:46 PM said:
Believe it or not, the only thing that's preventing me from getting this is the lack of stick click, I use it all the time in the menus, I'm used to it.

i bought the D pad kit, with the button. it's all fitted and working, the button on the back is fine, i'm sure after 30 seconds you will forget there was ever a problem.

this DPAD is the best add on i've ever bought:)

GaRy:)

No offense, but I'm still wondering if it's possible to buy a new GP2X MK2 with the DaveC D-Pad already installed? And if so, from whom?

vaustein said:
No offense, but I'm still wondering if it's possible to buy a new GP2X MK2 with the DaveC D-Pad already installed? And if so, from whom?

Maybe it is time to badger GPH themselves to start making them that way. They know about this exact mod as we stuck it right under their nose ;) E-mail them and tell them you want a d-pad version.

E-mail them and tell them you want a d-pad version.

Hmm, interesting, what will they answer? I suppose they will keep their silence. Or just sent him to far-faraway places... -_-

EvilDragon said:
. . .
@DaveC: Already 9 MK2 on preorder... I guess we got a lot more work to do, eh? ;)
Just bumping this thread to the top because the new Gpfce release reminds me why I want a Dpad mod. I love my 2X, but it needs a proper control method. For casual gaming and the coolness factor the joystick was fine. Now as the emulation has reached a higher level my 2X needs more precise controls. I am on the waiting list and this is just friendly encouragement to the guys and if there is anything I can do to help let me know.

I haven't turned on my 2X in a while because as a serious gamer I find it frustrating to have to compensate for the joystick while playing. One of my favorite NES Games is Tecmo Bowl and it is laborious playing with the standard stick due to the unpredictable 'dead zone' behavior.

I look forward to playing my GP2X with functional controls. Thanks guys.

Yeah I too would use my GP2X more often if not for the controls, my stick click function is broken so it's almost always pushing down and I need to be very careful. Some applications became unusable to me such as the Zx Spectrum emulator or Doom. The seperate button is genious.

And the stick sticks out so it doesn't get well into my pocket. I have a N-Gage QD pad lying around, if I sent it with my Gp2x would it be modded?

Would it be possible to modify a D-pad to have a smallish recess in the center for a stick-click button? Something that wouldn't be pressed by accident when using the D-Pad? Maybe a donut shaped D-Pad with a slightly lower stick in the center (centre) much like the sticks embedded in laptop keyboards? As I have no electronics skills it's just a thought, I'm not sure of the feasibility.

@pkostrze: I don't think that would be easy to do. The dpad needs to move fairly free and an extra hole in it's middle plus a button inside would probably be an obstacle. I would go with the extra button option. Also, drilling a hole into one of those ngage qd dpads might be quite a chore considering that you would need to be able to press the button inside it aswell (meaning that it must be quite large to comfort a functional button).

Back