Dave C`s Dpad

centrlink

Website
Visit site
got my one nubber couple of days ago, and i must say i am unbelievably impressed with it, it is a truly remarkable device - i could wax lyrical for ages about it, and no doubt will in the near future :)

but for this post, i am going to send kudos to dave c - the dpad is far and away the best dpad i have ever used, it feels absolutely *perfect*. so thanks dave!

cheers, simon

I have to agree. And from my own perspective, Dr. Wily's Robot Masters have probably never feared any other joypad as much. :lol:

Sorry to piss in the punch, but...

It's not quite perfect for me. Specifically, it makes loud clacking noises when you hit diagonals (this is the same on two Pandoras).

Seriously... I've been trying every Dpad I can get my hands on to compare for the last two months. If I can adjust this myself to remove the clack (whatever causes it) then I might agree with you.

Yes, the Pandora's dpad rules!

@SomeGuy99: No clacking noises on mine.

SomeGuy99 said:

It's not quite perfect for me. Specifically, it makes loud clacking noises when you hit diagonals (this is the same on two Pandoras).

Seriously... I've been trying every Dpad I can get my hands on to compare for the last two months. If I can adjust this myself to remove the clack (whatever causes it) then I might agree with you.

It doesn't clack for me, or maybe I don't notice?

IMHO it's the best Dpad I have used. My previous fave was the one I got with my JAP Megadrive in 1989, followed by my GBA-SP.

Without a doubt the Pandora controls are the best of any handheld I own too. (GP-SP/DS Lite/Dsi/Dingoo/F200/Wiz.)

Credit where credit is due, the controls of Pandora are absolutly fab.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to add: No clacking on either of the two I've encountered, either.

It is way too small for my a-bit-bigger-than-normal hands.

SomeGuy99 said:

I did not know what you were talking about - So I whipped out my pandora and played on the d-pad

up, down, left and right no clack

any of the diagonals made a bit of a clack sound.

but what is the issue? the sound ?

TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
SomeGuy99 said:

I did not know what you were talking about - So I whipped out my pandora and played on the d-pad

The sound and the feel, yes. It's very noisy actually. I've compared to every other Dpad I own, and it's the worst offender for this (bar the shitty third party pads). Standard 4 directions are very good however.

It happens when you hit the diagonals further inside, which is what I tend to do. Like I said, it's not perfect for me.

I think it's an issue with the rubber membrane to be honest. Too stiff maybe. I was thinking I could shave some of the plastic off and this might help?

First - plus one on all the comments. Superb design.

Second - I think I know the clack SomeGuy speaks of. I get it very occasionally, and with a bit of experimentation just now I've been able to reproduce it. If you sit the Pandora on a desk and press the centre of the pad, it's like it has a stick click. Not sure if it's because the pivot is hovering a little, due to the pad not being tight against the membrane or something?

Hitting a single direction doesn't do it, but hitting a diagonal can. It doesn't bother me or anything, and doesn't affect the operation in any way. Just posting to let you know SomeGuy isn't insane.

I think the clack is coming from a small degree of vertical clearance between the nub itself and the mounting points. Without that clearance, I don't think there'd be sufficient elevation to reach all points on the outer contact points.

SomeGuy99 said:
TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
SomeGuy99 said:

The sound and the feel, yes. It's very noisy actually. I've compared to every other Dpad I own, and it's the worst offender for this (bar the shitty third party pads). Standard 4 directions are very good however.

It happens when you hit the diagonals further inside, which is what I tend to do. Like I said, it's not perfect for me.

I think it's an issue with the rubber membrane to be honest. Too stiff maybe. I was thinking I could shave some of the plastic off and this might help?

Sorry m8 was no having a go at you - just trying to understand the issue.

I didn't bring this up just to be negative; it actually happens all the time when I'm engrossed in a game.

One of the reasons it might happen is because I push slightly towards the centre when I hit those diagonals. If I push outwards while pushing down a diagonal, the sound is far less severe.

It's a bit hard to retrain myself now, after 25 years of D-Pad usage. When I get really into a game, I don't even think about how I'm controlling it... it's just instinctive.

Just tried it and it does clack (since that's the word we're using) in the diagonals. Never noticed before but it does.

I'd really like to know two things:

1) Can I buy a second Dpad from OP to try and tweak this out?

2) Can I please try and install it without voiding my warranty? Pretty please??

^ Afaik, the Dpad is glued to the keyboard rubber mat, so you'd have to purchase both, I suppose. I don't know when they want to offer spare parts, though.

mali said:
^ Afaik, the Dpad is glued to the keyboard rubber mat, so you'd have to purchase both, I suppose. I don't know when they want to offer spare parts, though.

It's glued? That's a strange decision.

SomeGuy99 said:
mali said:

It's glued? That's a strange decision.

That's the secret to how it works so well.

Back