It's here [Pandora delivered]

Fzero

Advanced Member
That's right!

I'm now the very proud owner of a Pandora, 1GHz :)

So much to look into now, the recommended apps mentioned on the blog, other OS, of course the abundance of games...

Looking forward to checking MiniMenu, C4A, the homebrew games I've seen for ages now.

I've not even turned it on yet, just opened the box and had a little mandatory click of the buttons - Very nice I must say :)

I've noticed one thing, which I'm not sure is standard on all them, fairly typical, or just occurred on my build [which I understand due to the production method of Pandora each model may differ somewhat]

- The bottom of my LCD screen has a small gap between it and the plastic framing it, only about 1mm, but is just in the middle like a slight bowing.

Is this typical? I think I am having distant memories of someone/others mentioning it before in the past.

I'm not bothered either way, as I say we all know this is not some Sony production so I won't be sending it back moaning or anything [so long as it works - which it will :) ], but just interested to know if is just mine or a few of us have this 'issue' if you can call it that.

Feels great though, dpad, nubs, shoulders and ABXY buttons all really nice feeling and sure they will be perfect in proper use.

K/board buttons have a good press action to them too and the screen sits nice at 90, 135 and 180 degree angles. Imagine I'd be using it at 180 most anyway.

Thanks ED! :)

Going to get reading the little setup booklet soon and tomorrow will probably be a day of configuring and installing :)

Fireworks-04-june.gif

Oh yeah, and ED must know about my stationery fetish - I got TWO Pandora pens bundled with it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers Levi :)

I thought I recalled mention of that before but just wanted to be sure.

Good to finally own.

People at work are going to flip out, I've not told them I upgraded yet but they know I originally ordered it years ago ... I predict some green faces in the morning

congrats, FZERO.

(I hope you checked out my recipe while waiting for your Pandora :D )

Some things that weren't obvious to me at first (Pandora owner for just two months now):

• mouse clicks are right nub left for LMB, right for RMB (down for dblclick?!)
  • hold left shoulder button and right nub left (LMB), then use the left nub to move desktop windows
  • switch virtual desktops by holding down start+select, then use the d-pad
  • in a console ('terminal') window, use shift+Y/X joy buttons to scroll the history up'n'down
  • flick power switch to go into low power suspend mode, press the 'any key' to resume
  • every now and then, the nubs go beserk (e.g. mouse pointer movement becomes very slow). In that case, go to "Settings->Pandora nub configurator", and select "Reset nubs..." (In case the mouse nub totally goes haywire , use tab (fn+space) to select the 'Reset nubs' widget, then press space to do the reset)

hope that helps.

@bsp, Thanks, yeah I did note your recipe btw, thought it was sounding tasty too so will be making that soon enough

Nice one for those points, very useful navigation tips. I'll lock all this to memory and soon will become second nature I'm sure as I start to use it daily.

@skeezix,Woowoo indeed :)

For me even though I had a Wiz, Dingoo, etc the Pandora had a bit of a learning curve, So don't make too many judgements till you give it some time.

Congratulations, fun times ahead! I remember when I got mine about a year ago. So many things to fiddle and tinker with, and all those apps on the repo.. :)

My pandora also has that gap with the screen, and when you close it it's not perfectly shut. I also had a problem with the touch screen calibration, it was all over the place. I would click in one of the corners and it clicked around the center area.. I learned that you need to push the tabs in around the screen, they had popped out. Good to know if you experience this problem.

Right nub works well for mouse, and ABXY is great when you're working with text. A and B works as Home/End, to get to the beginning/end of a line, and Y and X as PageUp/PageDn. Also Left and Right shoulder button works as Shift/Control, I think that's right.

Have fun with your new toy!  :D

mouse clicks are right nub left for LMB, right for RMB (down for dblclick?!)

• hold left shoulder button and right nub left (LMB), then use the left nub to move desktop windows

• switch virtual desktops by holding down start+select, then use the d-pad

• in a console ('terminal') window, use shift+Y/X joy buttons to scroll the history up'n'down

• flick power switch to go into low power suspend mode, press the 'any key' to resume

• every now and then, the nubs go beserk (e.g. mouse pointer movement becomes very slow). In that case, go to "Settings->Pandora nub configurator", and select "Reset nubs..." (In case the mouse nub totally goes haywire , use tab (fn+space) to select the 'Reset nubs' widget, then press space to do the reset)

Up on right nub is double click.  Off hand, I don't think down does anything.

In terminal windows, shift+Y/X is page up/down (and they are page up/down outside the terminal too, no shift).  You can also use shift+up and down on the d-pad to go up and down a line at a time if you prefer.  Also, since left shoulder is also shift on the Pandora, this is very easy to do, and it's only my personal crapness of doing the tab-dance reliably (fn+space or fn then space is tab, except when you do it wrong and then it's just a space) making the shell at all awkward on the Pandora.

I can't get out of low power mode using any key - it needs to be the power slider slid to the right a second time for me.

I personally found the standard nub configuration to be a bit slow, so I used the nub configurator thingy to speed them up, and then saved that as a profile called 'faster'.  This seems to get reset at every reboot, though before I switched to booting off the SD card, I think I got the stock OS to stick to my faster setting - perhaps saving my profile also saves this, not sure.

- The bottom of my LCD screen has a small gap between it and the plastic framing it, only about 1mm, but is just in the middle like a slight bowing. Is this typical? I think I am having distant memories of someone/others mentioning it before in the past.
That's normal.

Now turn on that damn thing.

:)

Yep, last night I was just getting it started really.

Love the screen, it's resolution/clarity is far better than I had suspected as it goes, crisp.

My 'any key to wake up' works fine, I did run the s/w update Super Zaxxon if that has any cause of effect I don;t know, I done that before testing it?

When I connected to my WiFi, I then launched the stock Browser - Prompted me to pick between the 2 [forget names even now but I chose the main one - not the text/light one]

...Didn't work though.

I just used the built in download manager and searched it for Firefox, d/l that and that launched fine - So no big deal, I would've only used the included browser to install FF anyway.

Then went straight to the repo and installed PND Manager - very nice application, super user friendly :)

Installed a few emus but not actually tested them even yet, just got some downloaded.

Created a profile on C4A of course.

Going to get some non emu gems downloaded today and have a little fun time with it before exploring all the other good stuff can do on it

I've got mine for about 1,83 years now (ok, I waited half a year for one of the repairs in the middle)

and it just does not get old/uninteresting.

Have a good time!

It's always fun to try new things on it - the most recent wow app for me was the Keyboard/Mouse emulator that works via bluetooth and usb.

Cheers! I will put the old feet up only once I have all the games I want on there :) Need to get another SD too for use with Android as it goes

Have fun! But not too much! We still need you on this forum and to work on the games showcase website! ;)

Yeah I will do but wont distract me full time don't worry :)

Do need some help already though...

Just looking at connecting Pandora as a slave to my Win PC, so can copy over data to the SD card via USB... rather than popping out the SD card

Pandora.usb.slave.png

I'm using a Mini B connection on Pandora end

...Wrong one?

From the image and Wiki page I understood this is the type

Back