Dboxfe Qt Help?

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

I compiled this frontend for dosbox a couple days ago and it works good. The bad part is that it doesnt fit the pandora screen too well, we can drag the window around to see what we need to see. But it would be better to have something designed for 800x480. Im putting out a request to someone experienced with Qt to redesign the ui to fit.
Im willing to work with anyone willing to work on it.

Source is here:
http://chmaster.freeforge.net/dboxfe-project.htm

lulzfish said:
I'll take a look at it.

Any progress on your side?
I did take a look editing the ui's with the Qt creator and Monkey Studio, and i can say the experience was quite annoying, maybe I dont know it well enough yet but the auto-layout seemed to think it was smarter than i was. The autosizing of the controls was driving me crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
I did take a look editing the ui's with the Qt creator and Monkey Studio, and i can say the experience was quite annoying, maybe I dont know it well enough yet but the auto-layout seemed to think it was smarter than i was. The autosizing of the controls was driving me crazy.
There's a reason for that. Qt requires you to plan your GUI well so that it becomes scalable (ironic, isn't it) and it isn't made to allow you to just drop controls randomly with absolute layouts...

I'll take a look at the code myself, see what I can do, if lulzfish doesn't report back soon...

dflemstr said:
Pickle said:
There's a reason for that. Qt requires you to plan your GUI well so that it becomes scalable (ironic, isn't it) and it isn't made to allow you to just drop controls randomly with absolute layouts...

I'll take a look at the code myself, see what I can do, if lulzfish doesn't report back soon...
Lulzfish reporting back.
I totally forgot about this a few days after I last posted, and the thread dropped off the face of the earth since nobody else commented until just now.

I have a bunch of shit to do for the next few days, maybe I can look at it over Spring Break.

dflemstr said:
I guess I'll have a go, and if I fail, lulzfish serves as backup :p

I'm done with the main layout already; just have to fix some details...

that was fast, when you mean the main layout you also modified all the tabs?

Pickle said:
dflemstr said:
I guess I'll have a go, and if I fail, lulzfish serves as backup :p

I'm done with the main layout already; just have to fix some details...

that was fast, when you mean the main layout you also modified all the tabs?
When I say the "main layout" I mean that I've redone the whole layout from scratch, and have gotten the thing to compile. I'm now working on making the layout as dynamic as possible to make it fit in as small a space as possible. Oh and I'm only talking about "dboxfe.ui"; haven't touched the others as they seem to be OK already.

EDIT: WIP screenshot:
2pq4xvc.png

Attachments

• 2pq4xvc.png
    2pq4xvc.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 110
Wow- that is pretty cool!

Will there be another set of tabs for drive mappings/mount and control maps? Or is that already covered in the Preferences and Misc tabs?

I put together some ideas for that here:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52419-dosbox-pnd-file-ideas/

What you have is already way cooler than I had thought it would be!

Grench said:
Wow- that is pretty cool!

Will there be another set of tabs for drive mappings/mount and control maps? Or is that already covered in the Preferences and Misc tabs?

I put together some ideas for that here:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52419-dosbox-pnd-file-ideas/

What you have is already way cooler than I had thought it would be!
Dude, I'm just porting the UI of an existing app to the Pandora's screen size, nothing fancy (read the first post). All creds go to the original DOSBoxFrontEnd authors

OK so here's the patch of what I've done so far (to be applied on the SVN trunk). Had to fix some code as well because of 1. compatibility reasons (it's a new UI after all) and 2. my compiler is in strict mode and didn't allow non-standard C++.

Tell me whether it's "good enough" or if I should optimize some more (I used form layouts quite a lot, and they waste space under certain circumstances)

Patch:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nqoyttjzjnm

dflemstr said:
OK so here's the patch of what I've done so far (to be applied on the SVN trunk). Had to fix some code as well because of 1. compatibility reasons (it's a new UI after all) and 2. my compiler is in strict mode and didn't allow non-standard C++.

Tell me whether it's "good enough" or if I should optimize some more (I used form layouts quite a lot, and they waste space under certain circumstances)

Patch:
http://www.mediafire...php?nqoyttjzjnm

Cool, ill try it out as soon as I can.

Pickle said:
dflemstr said:

Patch:
http://www.mediafire...php?nqoyttjzjnm

Cool, ill try it out as soon as I can.

dflemstr great job it fits just right. Right now i dont see anything that needs to change.

Back