Pyra DBP repository (dev talk)

If it's possible I would like something a little dynamic, that could use the entire width of the window in a useful way when there is the space...
I understand the "smart" requirement thing, but lately browsing the web with a PC leaves the browser window half empty (especially on widescreen resolutions)

I can think of something like a vertical list with minimal info (thumbnail, title and 1 or 2 lines of description),
when you click on an item it will open vertically (pushing down the other entries), showing all the other informations

The previous as seen on a smartphone, while if you are looking at in with a wider window you'll have all the elements already opened, but with all the info at the side of everyone of them (instead of under them)
I dont know what to think of this suggestion.
May be you didnt understand what I meant by "table". It's an HTML keyword to build spreadsheet like layout. That's what I use for the debian page.
I do understand why you want to have the whole horizontal space used.
Actually that's why I choosed to display a grid like layout on that list page. So I can use the whole width on large screen while being phone friendly while being phone friendly since it become list on smaller screen.

If I got your suggestion right, then you suggest to use a list even on wide screen and fill the horizontal space with more data. But then : what data ? After a name, a short description and rating, the next thing I would like to see is a screenshot. Yet a screenshot wont fit well in such arrangement. So I realy dont know.

If I got your suggestion right, then you suggest to use a list even on wide screen and fill the horizontal space with more data. But then : what data ? After a name, a short description and rating, the next thing I would like to see is a screenshot. Yet a screenshot wont fit well in such arrangement. So I realy dont know.

I was thinking about using just one page with the list and the full info of every app, instead of having a page with a list and a dedicated page for the app... but maybe this could require javascript... I'm not so web savvy

I was thinking about using just one page with the list and the full info of every app, instead of having a page with a list and a dedicated page for the app... but maybe this could require javascript... I'm not so web savvy
Yeah, that would require javascript. but it's not as if the repo wasnt full of it anyway.
So you suggest no paging and all in a single page.
While I like the idea (since paging is painfull to code), once there's over 100 dbp, this page will take ages to load.

I'm not that websavvy either. I'm a backend guy, not a frontend one. and gosh doing UI right is hard. Making it looks good is even harder

Maybe it is possible to use iframes loaded at will ? To show only the ones visible in the current window, then if you scroll down it will download the others...

I don't see much of a problem with a table of one app per line that grows as the window width increases: you currently have the name, the metadata description (slightly confusing that there are two things called description on each app page, but never mind) - which currently gets cropped if you put anything much in it, and the package link. To that you could let the add uploader, date, version, let the description grow, even add the architecture (why's that listed twice?) before you need to even consider adding screenshots somehow.

But I'm more of a function over a kind of form guy, so I can't really do the blue sky thinking of how to make these pages look 'cooler', only refine existing ideas. I'm also not a DHTML guy, so I don't know how such an expanding table would be done, but I think I've seen something like it.

I'm also not a particular fan of it needing javascript, because running these boards with javascript can be kind of slow, and since the repo and the boards have the same hostname, I can't filter on running javascript on the repo but not on the boards. So I have to keep turning it off and on. But I suspect I'm uncommon in this requirement due to the hardware I run, so I'll live with it if so.

Edit: And I currently seem to have found a way around it! Since my history of the repo contains the 'www.' at the start of the hostname, but my pages here have landed up without it (and don't seem to want to stick it back on as I navigate around), if I were to bookmark your repo with the www and here without, I can filter on that!

Last edited:
Back