Debug a disappearing SD?

Prophet

God I'm old.
Website
Visit site
I have had the pandora for a while now.  Today when I woke up slot1 stopped recognizing that a card had been inserted.  When I first insert the card, the processing light flashes a few times indicating to me that SOME part of the process tried to work, but no card subsequently exists in file explorer etc.  If I switch slots the card works just fine so I assume it's not card related (not to mention it all worked yesterday :) )

Is there something I can do to debug this?  A log file or some such that might indicate issues?  Is this something we've seen before?  I'd love for this not to be a hardware failure...

So being bored and a complete noob I decided to poke around.  First off reflashing seems impossible because it requires the use of slot1 (as near as I can tell).  So that sucks.  I decided next to see what happens if I try to mount /dev/mmcblk0 via the terminal.  It thought for a while and then reported: Segmentation Fault.

I'm not positive that trying to mount it directly even makes sense in this context, but a seg fault seems bad...

ideas?

If it doesn't automount it means it can't read it, so you can't do anything from software side.

Sometimes power chip gets into bad state and causes all kind of weird issues, you need to remove the battery for 5 minutes to reset it. Try it, maybe it'll help. Otherwise your slot1 is probably broken (bent pin or something), you can try another card, maybe it'll have cleaner/differently placed contacts and will still work.

Just out of curiosity..have you been downloading mass storage or do you individually insert/resert sd cards to load files?

I have done it both ways.  Todays breakage occured between turning it off before bed and waking up the next morning so who knows!

As for bent pins, is this something that could be seen with the naked eye?

Or past that is this the kind of thing I can send to EDs shop and expect it to be fixable?  I've had this particular pandora for less than a month...

Most likely he will swap out the Board with a working one and send the broken board to GC for repair.

But before thinking it's a hardware problem have you tried other SD cards in that socket?

My right SD slot is flaky, sometimes the card appears on the desktop and can be accessed for just browsing it but running an emulator brings up a fault.

I have found that this is easy to spot as the access light is dimmer when this is going to happen, removing and re-inserting the card the access light is much brighter.

This can take a few attempts to get right.

Most likely he will swap out the Board with a working one and send the broken board to GC for repair.

But before thinking it's a hardware problem have you tried other SD cards in that socket?
oh yes.  Any of my three cards work fine in slot 2 but nothing in slot 1.  Whats more i started my Pandora in CLI mode and got to see what was flying by whenever I inserted anything into that slot.  Essentially about a million read errors as it tries sector by sector to read and fails.  I can screenshot if it migh be helpful but Im seeing the ending of a package to the opposite side of the world in my future :/

I suppose its good news that its trying.  It knows something it here, it just cant be read!

Back