Dec Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderful update! Breath of fresh air, complete with artificial flower scents! :D

I'm starving for my Pandora, but I'm not sure about the "hacker" release of the Pandora. I'd want more details on that, but then again, you're very busy, that was an idea (versus a plan), and I've been patient for a year. I can wait another few weeks for more delicious meaty details. ;)

It's Aaaaawesom. I felt too previous design as unique and distinctive, but I also think this one looks more practical and robust, and it'll definitely grow on me (if it's black, of course ;) )

Oh, yes, and count on me for receiving a Pandora without battery, hell yeah :lol:

First of all, thanks for the info. :)

craigix said:
.....another ~15 dev kits
went out to some of the best developers on the scene in the last few weeks who are furiously working on software as we speak............
may we know who are those (gifted) people?

craigix said:
On that note I'm pleased to say next weekend we will be building the first fully working Pandora with controls and keyboard
do we already have an final keyboard layout?

craigix said:
In slightly better news it's possible we might be able to ship some units reasonably soon to those of you who are more the hacker
type, these units may come without a battery and with a beta OS installed, the battery could be sent on at a later date at the
postage cost.
will they have anithing different? what if it has flaws, can it be exchanged for an new one?
the battery is already being manufactured? did you have problems with the batteries?

thanks in advance and thanks again for all the info!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Craig. Great to have a new render, are the final dimensions any different now that there is a final design?

was 140 x 83 x 27 mm

Thanks for the infos! And I really like the new render too!
Don't know if it will be white or black, I personally prefer white (as is my ds lite), probably won't show as much marks / finger prints than on black... Not sure to understand how the stylus will be attached though on this final (?) design.

Thanks again for the infos! And looking forward to next weeks picts/vid then! Will be interesting to see your team decisions on the keyboard layout ;) And on everything else as well actually :)

@j.pickens
Not sure I understand your worry about recess.. Have you tried to close / open a DS lite in shops ? I don't think it gives any problem for opening, and there is no recess ; imho having a recess could increase the chances of having something slightly opening the pandora while in your pocket / letting things go in...

I'm not sure I get it - They expect to have a completed Pandora by next weekend yet the case is still being tweaked? When you give your final specs to a plastic molding factory, how long does it take before you can get the first unit and all the teeny tiny parts off the assembly line?

Freakin awesome. JPickens I love your design, and the curved edges seal the deal for me. I wasn't sure what to think of the previous blocky design... I'd love this in black.

sverm said:
I'm not sure I get it - They expect to have a completed Pandora by next weekend yet the case is still being tweaked? When you give your final specs to a plastic molding factory, how long does it take before you can get the first unit and all the teeny tiny parts off the assembly line?
Ah no, you've made a classic mistake in interpreting a Craig update...

craigix said:
On that note I'm pleased to say next weekend we will be building the first fully working Pandora with controls and keyboard and
making some videos of it for you to see - this does not mean the work is finished - there is bound to be something which needs
adjusting, but it is a major near final milestone.
Basically, he doesn't say that it will be 'completed', but 'working'. It will probably be FDM rapid prototyped based on other updates from Chip.

He also doesn't say that you will see videos next weekend - just that they will be building it next weekend. Although I expect there will be some "where are the videos we were promised?" threads from the wee hours of Saturday morning.

Great news. I am still very optimistic about the Pandora. Seems news is coming out much faster lately and that gives me the impression some stability to the situation is forming compared to where it was at the beginning of the refund saga.

aliking said:
He also doesn't say that you will see videos next weekend - just that they will be building it next weekend. Although I expect there will be some "where are the videos we were promised?" threads from the wee hours of Saturday morning.

Mind if I sig that? I missed that myself, and want to keep the grumbling to a minimum. :p

I love the rounded edges, however I was just as fond with the box shape. It sounds that you are making huge progress, and it is just plain awesome you are doing all you can in this time of financial crisis.

craigix said:
The bank are the ones doing the refunds and they are doing them in an erratic manner - so sometimes the email is out of sync with the refund.

It's a nightmare I tell you, it's taking up most of our time and it's all having to be done by hand - those emails are sent one by one...
Great, now I feel like a total dick for saying this community sucks.

sverm said:
I think I get it.
They are getting the final version of the keypad mats, and are going to install them in the rapid prototype cases to see if there are any fit issues. Without the actual mats, it is impossible to be certain that the fit to the case is OK. The cases can be rapid prototyped, since they are just a rigid box. The mats are flexible, so the only way to test them is with the real deal.
This makes perfect sense to me.
After this weekend, when they do the mat fit into the RP cases, they'll either accept their case design, or modify as necessary, and get the final approved case 3D files to the manufacturer.
As for "all the teeny tiny parts", they already have a good number of fully assembled boards to put into the RP cases with the final keyboard mats, so they should have fully functional Pandoras very soon. Just with temporary cases.

So, the question becomes, how quickly can the case supplier produce final molds and then squirt out the plastic?

j.pickens said:
sverm said:
I think I get it.
They are getting the final version of the keypad mats, and are going to install them in the rapid prototype cases to see if there are any fit issues. Without the actual mats, it is impossible to be certain that the fit to the case is OK. The cases can be rapid prototyped, since they are just a rigid box. The mats are flexible, so the only way to test them is with the real deal.
This makes perfect sense to me.
After this weekend, when they do the mat fit into the RP cases, they'll either accept their case design, or modify as necessary, and get the final approved case 3D files to the manufacturer.
As for "all the teeny tiny parts", they already have a good number of fully assembled boards to put into the RP cases with the final keyboard mats, so they should have fully functional Pandoras very soon. Just with temporary cases.

So, the question becomes, how quickly can the case supplier produce final molds and then squirt out the plastic?

Depends on how good the engineers working on the molds are.

grin well not sure what proccess the manufacturer is useing but the only 2 that would seam cost effective for something this size would be either injection or die molded and if you know anything about either, it can go incredibly smooth once its set or increadibly bad :> the sharp corners would have been a pain on a die mold not so bad on injection, the current lid is accualy pretty easy on both proccesses, the only real bitch part i see is the keyboard frame and makeing sure tolerances are ok with the spaceing/hinges of the two clamshell parts.. (not that its all that bad given the run size, back in the day we woulda just pounded it out and recycled the scrap long as the material was thermal set or something similar and not some specialty color. )

used to work at a thermal composites shop a few years back had fun makeing expensive things go "BOOM" till the company moved its production to mexico...

ofcourse thats all wild speculation i have no clue what OpenPandoras actualy doing for the manufacturing of the cases.

Oooooooo... I like that case design! Just make mine black. :)

Keep going Craig, we're all still here in support of this project.

I do like the case design, even though it reminds me a bit too much of a DS Lite. Now all I hope is that it is black, never really liked white electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back